Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana:Are they revealing limitations in the 5th edition system?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'd say Unearthed Arcana on the contrary opens up design space and let them put out materials in various stage of design for us to use and try out. It can also serve to provide more crunch without clogging the game too much since it's unofficial. I'd like for them to even release more stuff that challenge the system and be distinct and unique, like the Psionic did, or that cater to different campaign settings than Forgotten Realms.

Yan
D&D Playtester.

I'm not quoting several people so here is a list of what I would like UA to cover.

Thank you! This is productive.

1: Racial/Class specific feats.

I like the idea. I'm not sure how I feel since I really don't want the 3e situation where each race gets pigeon-holed into a specific 'good' option. Still, I see no reason not to have this. However, it wouldn't be new. They've already done this with deep gnomes in SCAG.

2: Battlemaster Maneuvers.

Battlemaster is a closed system. We have no reason to believe it is getting more maneuvers (although if they start printing new spellcaster spells, perhaps they should add some to help them keep up, although that just leaves the champion farther behind). If you mean another class that uses an analogous mechanic, I am all for it. Although, again, that would be the opposite of innovative at this point.

3: New Monster special attacks.

Yes. Get rid of the whole 'bag of hit points and occasionally spells' argument that I keep hearing. No argument here. They really haven't done much with monsters in UA. This would be a good thing for them to try.

4: Wizards of High Sorcery: (Moon Phase Mechanics) ( I'm a Dragonlance fan).

Eh, but then you have to track the moon phases (or roll randomly, in which case it's just a daily +/-1 or something). The idea sounds nice (and UA sounds like a great place to flesh out the non-FR worlds), but I distinctly recall in late 1e and in 2e lots of little things like this (tracking honor in OA, group magic in Tome of Magic, etc.) that just ended up as more trouble than they were worth. So I think it would end up being mostly ignored, but yes it'd be the kind of thing to try out in UA.

5: More mounted combat.

6: More underwater combat.

7: More aerial combat.

I'd be surprised if we didn't see more wing and water campaign material, but I don't know if we'll see more complex combat systems. That sounds counter to the simplicity that they tried to engender in this edition (and to be clear, from OD&D through 3e, I've never been in a campaign where all the aerial rules were followed, nor where the players could remember when they could attack and when their mounts could).

8: More/Alternate uses for Channel Divinity.

Much like the battlemaster, existing classes are mostly closed systems. For new domains, it's nice when they are actually different. Have the channel divinity abilities not been expansive enough? I seem to recall them being one of the few things that weren't recycled in the new cleric domains (compared to "oh look, this domain grants a different energy type bonus to damage at level 8! So inventive!).

9: Alternate armour rules. (Example would be DR).

So like in the 3e UA book? That kind of alternatives? That would be fine if that's what they saw UA as for. I can understand why they might not. I don't have much to say one way or the other on this one.

10: They are game designers. How about something we've not seen before?

The designers have had the unjoyous task of pleasing people with a new edition which satisfies everyone, sacrifices no sacred cows, and includes all the important cultural touchstones that everyone finds important, yet also fix any perceived flaws in the way previous editions have done them. Plus now we want them to be innovative, but not clearly define how? That's their job? I think that's a little like going into the writer's room and saying, "I want you to make me a sitcom. It has to be new, fresh, exciting! But also include all the hallmarks of tv for the past 50 years that people expect! And make it surprising! I want twists and turns I'd never see coming! No, I don't know what I mean, that's your job! Just surprise me... but make sure it follows the standard 1 camera sitcom formula! And it better be good!"

11: Will post more when I remember them.

Please do. This finally is helpful.

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Name me a color that doesn't exist"
Lovecraft's "Color out of Space."

Gene Wolfe's Fuligin.

Coming up with something never before seen is going to be a tough bar to beat, especially when there are things we've seen before that we'd like to see here.
And inappropriate for 5e which is trying so hard to live up to each & every past version of D&D. There are so many things from D&D's storied past for 5e to include, before it even needs to worry about making an original contribution.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
We are aware that UA is giving us so many subclasses right now because they are getting us to playtest and review the potential contents of a SPECIFIC BOOK, right?

I think it likely that when this is done we will see other things for awhile.

As a DM and Player, I'd like more content, myself, but as a game retailer... they must be doing something right. The books have a significantly longer shelf life (that is, they keep selling for longer) so that the total sales per book add up to greater amounts. The schedule also has the side effect that it really seems like the life expectancy of the edition will be significantly increased. (To give my opinion some weight - it's based on selling the game since 1993. Four editions!)

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

happyhermit

Adventurer
We are aware that UA is giving us so many subclasses right now because they are getting us to playtest and review the potential contents of a SPECIFIC BOOK, right?

I think it likely that when this is done we will see other things for awhile.

As a DM and Player, I'd like more content, myself, but as a game retailer... they must be doing something right. The books have a significantly longer shelf life (that is, they keep selling for longer) so that the total sales per book add up to greater amounts. The schedule also has the side effect that it really seems like the life expectancy of the edition will be significantly increased. (To give my opinion some weight - it's based on selling the game since 1993. Four editions!)

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

That's really good to hear, and matches what I am seeing as well. Boardgame stores here are getting more and more behind D&D products.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well since they have made it well known that this stuff is playtest material then I would expect to them branching out from the norm, sometimes even going a little crazy if need be.

I would love to see a bit more distinction between the Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock to be honest.

They are different, on a bad way. Basically by havenots and who is a subset of whom at early levels then kinda special once a day and back into being a subset of the other at later levels. I would prefer them to be different on a good way and more equal in capabilities.

Not sure why you're debating taste with me.

Most of the UA I've seen have very far from what I'd call innovation and imagination. Sure there are exceptions. The Arcane Archer got some new arrow feature, but IIRC it was relatively minor in the end, and not a whole new approach.

Doesn't change my take.

I can't even name one new UA item on par with the PHB subclasses. By that I mean: imagine if the Battlemaster or the Assassin or the Shadow Monk (or, heck, the Beastmaster) didn't already exist, and was introduced by UA.

That level of new stuff is far and few between.

I can't remember if the Bladesinger was in UA before it appeared in SCAG. If so, I stand corrected. That would have been a UA worth the attention. (That would arguably be the only new SCAG subclass that truly is worth getting excited about)

Favored soul was better than the PHB alternative.

I'm not quoting several people so here is a list of what I would like UA to cover.

1: Racial/Class specific feats.

2: Battlemaster Maneuvers.

3: New Monster special attacks.

4: Wizards of High Sorcery: (Moon Phase Mechanics) ( I'm a Dragonlance fan).

5: More mounted combat.

6: More underwater combat.

7: More aerial combat.

8: More/Alternate uses for Channel Divinity.

9: Alternate armour rules. (Example would be DR).

10: They are game designers. How about something we've not seen before?

11: Will post more when I remember them.

How about a sorcerer that can blend in the crowd and live up to the beautiful sorceress archetype?

Last edited:

Remove ads