Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Barbarian and Monk

Unearthed Arcana makes an unexpected return (the last one was back in May) with a three-page PDF containing two subclasses -- Path of the Wild Soul for the barbarian, and Way of the Astral Self for the monk.

Unearthed Arcana makes an unexpected return (the last one was back in May) with a three-page PDF containing two subclasses -- Path of the Wild Soul for the barbarian, and Way of the Astral Self for the monk.

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 20.27.07.png

Golems are robots: change my mind.
Clark's Law applies. Golems are magical robots. So are skeletons. Modrons are an artificially intelligent machine race. But golems are ubiquitous in ALL D&D settings.

The real anomaly is why the Forgotten Realms remains locked into pseudo-medievalism, despite having more than enough magi-tech for street lighting, and instantaneous mass transit via teleportation circles.

Frankly, I don't understand what people mean by "gonzo". Judging by context, it appears to be a synonym for "I don't like it".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Clark's Law applies. Golems are magical robots. So are skeletons. Modrons are an artificially intelligent machine race. But golems are ubiquitous in ALL D&D settings.

The real anomaly is why the Forgotten Realms remains locked into pseudo-medievalism, despite having more than enough magi-tech for street lighting, and instantaneous mass transit via teleportation circles.

Frankly, I don't understand what people mean by "gonzo". Judging by context, it appears to be a synonym for "I don't like it".

Oh, no, gonzo is definitely good in my book: over the top, bizarre, edgy. The etymology is fascinating, per the Online Etymology Dictionary:

gonzo (adj.)
1971, American English, in Hunter S. Thompson's phrase gonzo journalism. Thompson in 1972 said he got it from editor Bill Cardosa and explained it as "some Boston word for weird, bizarre." Probably from Italian (Neapolitan) gonzo "rude, sottish," a word of unknown origin, perhaps from Spanish ganso and ultimately from the Germanic word for "goose" (see goose (n.))

Eberron is certainly different to GenericFantasyland(TM). That doesn't mean something fits with the setting on the basis of being whacky.

I would expect to see things like Aberrant Dragonmark Sorcerers, Oath of the Silver Flame paladins and a reprint of War Mage if they where going to do Eberron subclasses.

Exploding flumphs isn't only whacky, it's dark. Only Rick and Morty or some other dark comedy setting (Spammalot campaign setting?) could support such a thing.

Edit: Or a follow-up to Acquisitions Incorporated?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eberron is certainly different to GenericFantasyland(TM). That doesn't mean something fits with the setting on the basis of being whacky.

I would expect to see things like Aberrant Dragonmark Sorcerers, Oath of the Silver Flame paladins and a reprint of War Mage if they where going to do Eberron subclasses.

Exploding flumphs isn't only whacky, it's dark. Only Rick and Morty or some other dark comedy setting (Spammalot campaign setting?) could support such a thing.

Edit: Or a follow-up to Acquisitions Incorporated?

The Flumphs are probably a stand-in for something they didn't want us to see.

Last edited:

dwayne

Adventurer
I love the monk path, but hate the barbarian path, i mean what the hell are you people trying to do here any way. I am going to take this idea and go fix the wild mage path with it as it gives me some ideas in that respect. But really i think you went about the barbarian path all wrong, and should have done it another way. If he was infused with magic of the feywild as you say would it not manifest in a more fitting way to complement his focus of the class.

my take
Path of the Wild Soul Features Barbarian Level Feature 3rd Smell Magic, FeyWild Aspect 6th Touch of the wild soul 10th Arcane Rebuke (rename Rebuking Roar but basically does same thing) 14th Chaotic Fury (about the same but lets you change the aspect),

Smell magic: is a skill roll on perception to find magic in a 30 foot radius this increases 30' at 6th, 10th, and 14th levels for a total of 120 feet. you only know its magic not what it is or type just that it's magic.

FeyWild Aspect: This ability would have a chart of different abilities to manifest while raging like creatures from the realm. A list of things that would grow with better things added at levels 6th, 10th, and 14th.

Rebuking Roar: pretty much the same but a roar not a magic energy thing, still the force damage i think may be ok. possibly giving the options to replace the force damage with sonic or to cause deafness at other levels players choice.

Chaotic Fury: just lets you reroll like the other.

Thats my take i could have made a list but i don't have time right now to look over all the creatures of the feywild and pull abilities from them

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pickle ricks, probably. Or Garblovians. (I've never watched the show, my IQ isn't high enough.)

Ya know...the timing for this test would also work very, very well for the Rick & Morty boxed set. And the potential zaniness is a real fit there.

Those evil bastards, will i have to buy this box???

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ya know...the timing for this test would also work very, very well for the Rick & Morty boxed set. And the potential zaniness is a real fit there.

Those evil bastards, will i have to buy this box???
I think I will just nod and pretend to know what this whole R&M stuff is about. Too zany for me seems a likely response.

Remove ads

Remove ads