Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Cleric, Druid, Wizard Options

In another new Unearthed Arcana (these things are coming out fast right now!) the cleric receives a new Divine Domain option: the Twilight Domain; the druid gains a new Druid Circle option: the Circle of Wildfire; and the wizard gains a new Arcane Tradition feature: Onomancy, the magic of true names.

In another new Unearthed Arcana (these things are coming out fast right now!) the cleric receives a new Divine Domain option: the Twilight Domain; the druid gains a new Druid Circle option: the Circle of Wildfire; and the wizard gains a new Arcane Tradition feature: Onomancy, the magic of true names.

safe_image.php.jpg

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Looking back at that subclass it had recycled two abilities from the lore wizard which, sadly, people seemed to almost universally hate.
People hated Alchemical Casting because they thought it was a slap in the face to Sorcerers. Mostly that part about swapping damage types, because at the time (and arguably still) the Sorcerer's spell list was too small when it came to elemental damage spells. There was also that Absurd mile-limit on spell distance, but that was cut in the second go at it.

Prodigious Inspiration/Memory, on the other hand, is the one ability that made me love the idea of the Lore wizard to begin with. The image of a wizard scrambling frantically over their spell book to remember how to cast a Fireball while batting a Troll because they mistakenly memorized Haste that morning is amazing. It's almost akin to those old stories of Magic-Users ripping a spell out of their book for use as an emergency scroll. I still want them to make it happen somehow.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I have found the names lists to be far more useful than the pages on Hexblade and War Wizard, which to me, are wasted ink.

I want a curated list of names. It's much more work to go on the internet and sort through a ton of names I'm not going to like.

I could also spend countless hours going through DM's Guild for adventures and rules looking for ones I would like. Instead though, I'm just going to stick to what WotC publishes because the quality is much better overall. Even if I don't like the Hexblade.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
On the pages of names in Xany:
  • XGtE is the most borrowed book at my table, not because of the subclasses, but because of the name list. I'm planning of buying a second just so my players would stop fighting to look first at the name table.
  • 4 of my 8 players just wont start designing their character till they selected a name from the table. Its part of their process now.
  • 2 on my players took my XGtE to choose the name of their new born son.

Thoses pages are an incredible resource at my table.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also i suppose we'll just have to disagree about whether i made any "insult" per se. But i suppose I'll leave it at that.

Mod Note:
Folks,

The rules are clear: "If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a moderating issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, and no challenging their decisions in the thread. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them. "

Unless you want to be removed from a conversation, please take it to PM.

It occurs to me that, if a class appears in a setting guide, it will likely appear somewhere else, and possibly be a little different. I don't expect that if you want to play a psychic character in Eberron, you will have to buy some future Dark Sun guide to do it. It is more likely that there will be a Dark Sun specific psychic class and a more generic one in some PHB II But We Aren't Calling It That book in the future. Likewise for the artificer. Specific subclasses on the other hand, I figure are more optional.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No. It doesn't "work". The survey is asking for the class to be assessed for any settings, and given it's potential to break some settings, will be voted down accordingly. I certainly will give it a "1" on that basis, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. Thus, it will not make it past the 70% mark, and stands no chance at all of making into any publication, and thus the whole survey is a complete waste of time and money.

If I was asked to give a reaction on the bais that it would be restricted to a specific setting I might rate it higher - 3 maybe.

I mean, if people feel the same way about it as you, then that is important information for WotC to know. However, it might still pass muster, we'll find out.

As has been stated, nothing is "restricted" to setting sin 5E. They put out the Brute for the Gruul Clans, people didn't like it, didn't prevent them from providing recommendations for Gruul characters.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads