Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Divine Domains

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Pretty interesting. Definitely a few of the very few niches that are similar to existing options but could stand to be filled (Protection -> War; Forge -> Knowledge; Grave -> Death). I'm especially sympathetic to Grave since Anubis was close to my heart recently. :)

A little disappointed they didn't try to go above and beyond the domain perspective, but eh...that's probably a pet concern. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I actually really like all of these. There are a few details I wouldn't mind seeing tweaked a bit, but on the whole, I think this is one of the more successful subclass-focused UAs.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I like these, though the protection domain seems to diverge from it's description a bit. Radiant defense is barely a defensive spell. If the monster understands what the ability does, it might prevent them from attacking the target, but otherwise, it's just a conditional damage spell. Blessed healer has a very 4th edition feel, letting you heal others and yourself at the same time helps you be less of a heal-bot. But I'm not sure it strongly fits the theme of the subclass. Also, I'd expect such a class to start getting resistance to damage earlier than 17th level.

All in all, I would expect the abilities of the Protection domain to focus more heavily on protecting allies, or a group of people. It's there, but the abilities certainly wander a bit.

The thing with Protection domain that I don't like is that most of its abilities can be easily duplicated by dipping into other classes or with feats...it doesn't really have anything that makes it new or different.

Staffan

Legend
I'm beginning to think that next year's late fall release (á la SCAG or Volo's Guide to Monsters) will be an Eberron book. The Forge domain here is perfect for clerics of Onatar, and the College of Whispers from last week was perfect for the houses Phiarlan and Thuranni.

Pretty interesting. Definitely a few of the very few niches that are similar to existing options but could stand to be filled (Protection -> War; Forge -> Knowledge; Grave -> Death). I'm especially sympathetic to Grave since Anubis was close to my heart recently. :)

A little disappointed they didn't try to go above and beyond the domain perspective, but eh...that's probably a pet concern. :)

Yeah...I agree with you here. They could really use some new spells.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I don't have a huge issue with any of the new domains, but as with most new options there are a few items that just seem lacking in inspiration. Or maybe I just feel heavy armor proficiency and the Divine Strike class ability are played out and a bit dull.

I don't have a problem with various options treading on the turf of other options or even overlapping with them. I could see how a deity that grants access to the Grave domain could be very different from one granting access to the Death domain, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that an argument could be made that the Cleric is the easiest class to make acceptable new subclasses (Divine Domains) from.

I'd say that is true (and has been for the Class in prior eds), but they are starting to step on other Domains toes a bit at this point: Sorcerer is easily the wise open field of opportunities at this point.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I like to see how the bonus spell lists are branching out and include spells that were previously exclusive to one or two classes. Really helps these stand out and create an identity to differentiate between clerics.

I especially really like the forge domain. Very powerful at first level and the later abilities aren't too shabby either. And with the 6th level AC boost, the ability to create magic armor, heavy armor, a shield and the shield spell you can make your AC crazy high (27 if my basic math skills haven't failed me, 29 if you lump shield of faith on top of that).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases