Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Divine Domains

Maybe a nitpick, but Radiant Defense pretty definitely needs to be run in such a way that would-be attackers know they risk getting smote, since it only triggers once and therefore won't serve as a learned deterrent. It can't be a surprise; that sort of booby-trapping might be an appropriate Trickery ability but is the opposite of what Protection is about. So the target should radiate a feeling of righteous menace or something. I'm not sure if the wording needs to make that explicit, but I feel like it probably should.

I am interpreting: "Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to cloak your allies in radiant armor" literally. They get glowing, spectral armor. I am pretty sure in a D&D world, most people, goblins, and even orcs would avoid attacking the glowing, spectral armor.

"That guy is glowing, hit him first."

"Are you sure, I haven't seen any glowing dudes before?"

"Hey, that glowing ball of energy just took out Bob."

"Damn, okay, avoid the glowing dude."

I like all three domains - Protection and "Creation" (which is now amply covered by Forge) were notable gaps in the original PHB cleric line-up. Forge especially looks like it would be fun and flavorful to play. I do agree that Protection needs a bit of work to make it more "Protection-y", but the general idea of clerics dedicated to protection alongside paladins is perfectly fine and has a long lineage in the game. And a non-evil death-type domain is a great addition, and looks to be pretty well balanced already...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Given their themes, both Forge and Protection darn well should get heavy armor. It's only Grave I'd quibble with. And since clerics of such deities would have gotten heavy armor proficiency as a matter of course in any previous edition of the game, I can't really work up the will to strenuously object to it.

Same. Though I would posit that martial weapons are probably a better fit than heavy armor.

Serpine

Explorer
Absolutely agree. This should be moved to the Protection Domain in place of Compelled Duel.
Instead of Shield, I wouldn't mind the Forge Domain getting Identify. Often handy, analyzing items works well with the crafter theme, and you would never have to allocate a selectable prepare slot on it just to be able to cast it as a ritual...

phantomK9

Explorer
Forge Domain
Domain Spells - Don't like shield being on here. Other than that, good list.

Bonus Proficiency - Sure, I guess. Seems appropriate enough. Although additional tool proficiency seems more appropriate. Maybe they figure you are a Dwarf or have the background to have proficiency in smith's tools?

Blessing of the Forge
- Seems like a cool little "out of the box" type ability but it seems too strong at 1st level and then too weak at later levels. Maybe the cleric should sac a spell slot to use this and the level of the spell slot determines the level of the affect?

Artisan's Blessing
- While this a cool little ability, it seems fairly weak when compared to say the War or Life domains. You have to sac one of you Channel Divinity uses in order to craft a mundane item? Maybe swap this with Blessing of the Forge. Craft the mundane item one per long rest, and sac a Channel Divinity user to create a temp magic item.....

Soul of the Forge
- Not sure what the +1 bonus to AC is doing here, should really only need the resistance to fire and additional damage to constructs, those two alone are great. +1 AC not needed.

Divine Strike
- Good ability for Forge, no problems here.

Saint of Forge and Fire
- Yes, good, cool. Love it.

Grave Domain
Spell List - Not sure about blight but can see a point for it. As others have stated, locate creature makes more sense here as hunting down undead seams to be this things shtick.

Bonus Proficiency
- Not sure why this is needed. Especially when the Grave is getting two more things at 1st level. Seems a bit much and out of flavor.

Eyes of the Grave
*rolls eyes.....of the grave*. Another DM adjudication headache. Didn't like it for Ranger either. Should be dropped down to be less than a mile so it is usable in your current dungeon or take away the "You learn the number" language.

Path to the Grave
- Love this one, especially when it can be use to take away resistance and immunity.

Sentinel at Death's Door
- While a neat ability it seems way too weak here, especially considering you can only use it on a critical hit against yourself or an ally, something that may not happen. Compare to the Life domain ability where you can control when you get to use it and it happens quite frequently and doesn't need a recharge. This is too little for 6th level power. Needs more.

Divine Strike
- Meh, copy and paste.....oh but it's necro damage instead SEEEE. Really what is needed here is something to boost Turn/Destroy Undead. There are powerful undead roaming around that either have a bonus to their Turn save or are immune to turning. This should instead deal with that in some way.

Keeper of Souls
- Sure. Cool. Why not. Seems fine.

Protection Domain

Spell List - Needs to have shield at first level. Possibly even just sanctuary or shield of faith

Bonus Proficiency
- While a bit lackluster it fits here.

Shield of the Faithful
- So....just the Fighting Style then? Why not just say "You get the Protection Fighting Style"? Honestly this is dull and needs a change. How about: When you cast shield spell as a reaction you can target an ally within 30ft." Or something along those lines.

Radiant Defense
- A damaging shield...you know for YOUR protection. Except that it doesn't protect you. Bleh. Make this "it reduces the damage taken by 2d10 + your cleric level" then it might be appropriate. Or hell just extra temp hp.

Blessed Healer
- So another copy/paste? Meh. While possibly appropriate, it needs to be different from Life domain. How about when you heal someone they get a bonus to AC for x number of rounds/hours? Or maybe they get additional temp hp?

Divine Strike
- And again the same thing....oh but THIS time is it radiant damage! The best defense is a good offense maybe? Don't like it....

Indomitable Defense
- This. This right here. This is great for the domain. Perfect.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
TheCosmicKid said:
Point, especially for Forge and warhammers.
I was thinkin' for Grave. A part of me grooves on the "dark souls" aesthetic of a knight in form-obscuring armor with a massive shield and a trusty, but small, hammer at the side...so I'm kind of OK with Forge clerics not getting warhammers...but I could support them getting it, too.

Forge Domain
Bonus Proficiency - Sure, I guess. Seems appropriate enough. Although additional tool proficiency seems more appropriate. Maybe they figure you are a Dwarf or have the background to have proficiency in smith's tools?
This is actually a pretty big oversight. It should be an easy fix (tool proficiencies are ribbons if anything is!), but a Forge priest who doesn't learn how to use smith's tools is just....nonsense. :)

Artisan's Blessing - While this a cool little ability, it seems fairly weak when compared to say the War or Life domains. You have to sac one of you Channel Divinity uses in order to craft a mundane item? Maybe swap this with Blessing of the Forge. Craft the mundane item one per long rest, and sac a Channel Divinity user to create a temp magic item.....
[/QUOTE]

Fond of that swap!
Grave Domain
Spell List - Not sure about blight but can see a point for it. As others have stated, locate creature makes more sense here as hunting down undead seams to be this things shtick.

I like Blight on there, myself. You call upon the power of death! Locate Creature is not the power of death! Yeah, you can't use it on undead, but that's what your other spells/abilities are for. :)

Protection Domain

Spell List - Needs to have shield at first level. Possibly even just sanctuary or shield of faith

I dunno, shield doesn't protect others, does it?

Forge Domain

Divine Strike
- Meh, copy and paste.....oh but it's necro damage instead SEEEE. Really what is needed here is something to boost Turn/Destroy Undead. There are powerful undead roaming around that either have a bonus to their Turn save or are immune to turning. This should instead deal with that in some way.

I like that. Curse Strike:

At 8th level, when you hit an enemy with a melee attack, you can chose to use curse strike. You pick a stat, and they make all saves with that statistic with disadvantage for 1 minute (also very useful against nonundead). That would give you time to turn the undead. At 14th level, when you hit an undead enemy with a melee attack, you can use curse strike to suppress any immunity to turning for 1 minute instead of imposing disadvantage. You need to complete a long or short rest before you can use curse strike again.

Ketser

First Post
Forge is a great doiman, although it's level 1 ability should be reworked. Also adding at least warhammer and maul proficencies to it would be nice. Also some tool proficiency.

Grave... i like it. I would love it to have martial weapon proficiency instead of heavy armor.

My only issue with it Grave domain is more about how Death domain is handled in the "core books," namely if there weren't a need to show/make the original death domain evil, the grave domain wouldn't be necessary. But its a personal preference and issue that i've taken with the idea of tearing gods of death as automatically evil.

Protection is meh and in my opinion not really needed.

I would have preferred to see a love or passion domain or community/civilization domain instead. Preferably more "caster oriented" cleric instead of melee oriented options. Maybe even a subclass that would dare to step a bit further away from: "Clank-clank, me and my mace have come to bring the word of my god."

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases