Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Explores Downtime Activities

This is EXACTLY what I wanted and EXACTLY what the game needed.

Then there's this: "For more information, see “Brewing Potions of Healing” in this section on crafting and “Scribing a Spell Scroll” on page Error! Bookmark not defined." (p. 7) :erm:

Corpsetaker

First Post
I would actually love for them to do a UA on the various items that dwarves and elves create. I would love to see some reasons why elven and dwarven steel, mithral, adamantine, etc is supposed to be a cut above all others.

Li Shenron

Legend
I liked this article, personally I think this is the kind of optional rules modules that are very beneficial to the game as a whole. They are there if you want to expand your game in a certain direction, but they don't harm those who aren't interested in such direction, because they aren't required at all. They can also be used as a starting point by those who want even more complexity or simulationism.

In this specific case, it's also a piece of cake to just pick some downtime activities you want to use in your game, and ignore the others. I can imagine a lot of people are against or unsatisfied by these magic item creation, mundane crafting, or magic buying/selling rules. But it's incredibly easy to cherrypick just the downtime options you like and ignore/modify/override the others.

CapnZapp

Legend
I liked this article, personally I think this is the kind of optional rules modules that are very beneficial to the game as a whole. They are there if you want to expand your game in a certain direction, but they don't harm those who aren't interested in such direction, because they aren't required at all. They can also be used as a starting point by those who want even more complexity or simulationism.

In this specific case, it's also a piece of cake to just pick some downtime activities you want to use in your game, and ignore the others. I can imagine a lot of people are against or unsatisfied by these magic item creation, mundane crafting, or magic buying/selling rules. But it's incredibly easy to cherrypick just the downtime options you like and ignore/modify/override the others.
To repeat myself, what I think this article needs, is a follow-up where rules additions and tweaks are discussed when there is essentially no downtime.

Like, you know, in pretty much every official adventure published to date... :p

One of the biggest self-deceptions D&D is perpetuating is that the game is geared up for downtime, when in actual reality the practical implementations - the official adventures - simply aren't following the assumptions.

There is little or no downtime. There are mountains of gold. There are seldom any reasons to have 6+ encounters in a day. Player characters use all the powers given to them by the PHB and they use them reasonably well.

This are the facts. Now give me a set of UA articles that acknowledge this as actual fact.

Better yet - give me a version of the PHB that is specifically meant for this kind of play. :)

Corpsetaker

First Post
To repeat myself, what I think this article needs, is a follow-up where rules additions and tweaks are discussed when there is essentially no downtime.

Like, you know, in pretty much every official adventure published to date... :p

One of the biggest self-deceptions D&D is perpetuating is that the game is geared up for downtime, when in actual reality the practical implementations - the official adventures - simply aren't following the assumptions.

That's because the company is driven by their profit model where down time means the adventure lasts longer than WOTC expects so you wouldn't be finished in time to buy the next one. These AP's really push you to hurry it up.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's because the company is driven by their profit model where down time means the adventure lasts longer than WOTC expects so you wouldn't be finished in time to buy the next one. These AP's really push you to hurry it up.
:heh:

You do know you don't have to play out any down time in real time...? ;)

Aenorgreen

First Post
Why do so many seem to think carousing needs to include getting blind drunk? How can I play my tea-totaler bard who just loves to go out singing and dancing?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases