Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana October 2017: Fiendish Options

So a bunch of fiendish subraces but only a point of ABS besides Charisma moved to other skills and some Legacy spells swaps, plus some cult spells and features. It doesn't do much for my game.

So a bunch of fiendish subraces but only a point of ABS besides Charisma moved to other skills and some Legacy spells swaps, plus some cult spells and features.

It doesn't do much for my game.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Decent flavor add, though I'm disappointed that they connected it to ability scores and racial features since that means that the flavor choice can be dictated by game mechanics needs for some players, instead of going for the choice that makes the most sense for how they envision the character. I prefer if my character concept gets described by the mechanics, not that the mechanics define my character concept.

dave2008

Legend
I'm liking the cults and boons as little templates to add to NPCs and monsters to give them an association with a devil or demon. They add to the story I think. I would use this.

castlewise

First Post
No Lolth? Although I suppose Lolth worshippers already have their own section of the MM.

Color me excited about whatever planar thingie they seem to be hinting at.

G

Guest 6801328

I love the variant in SCAG (+2 Dex, +1 Int) for Rogues and Shadow Monks. Maybe I'm being too min-maxy for not liking +1 Dex, +2 Cha...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was thinking Nezram World Walker, but the idea is the same basically, a 5e version of the Manuel of the Planes. First Gith and Elderin and now Devil and Demon themed stuff.
Well, Eliminster is a Planar Traveller, and an established NPC in the books: but something planar this way comes, anyways.

G

Guest 6801328

I was thinking Nezram World Walker, but the idea is the same basically, a 5e version of the Manuel of the Planes. First Gith and Elderin and now Devil and Demon themed stuff.

You've just named my next character, a plane-traveling Spaniard. Or maybe I'll make her a girl. "Hello, my name is Manuelle of the Planes. You collapsed my portal. Prepare to die."

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Yet another bunch of boring, lazy options. More races with spells instead of imaginative, creative or interesting differences. And yet more power creep. Dex + Cha + minor illusion/disguise self and invisibility, really? That's 10x better than just about any other option aside from winged.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The options in this are okay, I guess. I'm not really a fan of the changes made to tieflings in 4e and even though these expand on them giving an option to have a different archdevil as your ancestor, I would probably prefer something similar to 2e with variable abilities to depict tieflings as something fiendish in the blood but not quite sure what. I guess I could use the various bloodlines as just another option, not necessarily saying that the tiefling is descended from the archdevil but maybe has a bit of fiendish blood from a demon or devil that has similar roles.

The cult templates definitely have some good ideas, but I'm not sure how much of this I would use however I do think it is a really good idea when creating a group of common abilities for NPCs for your PCs to fight.

Remove ads

Remove ads