Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

Last edited:

Fenris447

Explorer
Tracking Psychic Talent die just becomes a hassle. It is also explosive in a way when you get lucky to get a larger die. How does it make sense? You roll low on a die, and the next time you have more, roll low again and you get more?

One of us must be reading it wrong. Because I came away with the understanding that if you roll the max number, your die size decreases for next time. This basically means you expended too much power and are somewhat weakened. If you roll the minimum number, your die size increases for next time, but only to a maximum size of what it started at. So it's a little bit of a shifting balance. Do well now, be a little less strong next. Do poorly then, and you're back to full.

I agree it's another darn thing you have to track, but it's not the most overly-complicated thing I've ever seen.

Quickleaf

Legend
Seems like they went back to the OD&D Eldritch Wizardry version by Gary Gygax and Brian Blume, and then built and improved from there using various appearances of psionics through the editions as touchstones. See attached image below from Eldritch Wizardry.

They even settled on three subclasses to "carry" the psionic powers, which echoes the original framework of psionic power lists being tailored to fighting men, magic-users, and clerics; only in the UA it's fighters, rogues, and sorcerers.

Looks really promising!

I think the "psionics is sometimes magic and sometimes not" approach will lead to a bit of dissonance down the line – e.g. a monster referring to psionics with some attack/trait, a monster with the (psionics) tag on its spellcasting with mind thrust on its spell list, and a PC with mind thrust on their spell list strangely without the (psionics) tag.

But the choices for which psionic powers are treated as magic looks well-balanced – i.e. psionic invisibility and teleportation being magical, and thus detectable with see invisibility or preventable with forbiddance, respectively.

QLGYqwj.png

ccooke

Adventurer
On balance, I rather like the psychic talent system. The ability to take a bonus action to reset it is a saving grace, and the costings of the abilities look basically good to me. Every one of those subclasses and feats will be a major change for the character, giving them solid abilities that make a difference in play.
On a second read, I'm still not spotting any serious issues with either under or over power. I'll have to do a proper comparison to some other subclasses later.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One of us must be reading it wrong. Because I came away with the understanding that if you roll the max number, your die size decreases for next time. This basically means you expended too much power and are somewhat weakened. If you roll the minimum number, your die size increases for next time, but only to a maximum size of what it started at. So it's a little bit of a shifting balance. Do well now, be a little less strong next. Do poorly then, and you're back to full.

I agree it's another darn thing you have to track, but it's not the most overly-complicated thing I've ever seen.
I suppose one of us is then. Nothing in the article seems to me that you are limited to your initial die size. As I see it, at 3rd level, your start d6, roll a 1 and now use d8. You continue to use d8 until you roll a 1 or an 8. Roll another 1 and now you use d10. It doesn't reset until you finish a long rest.

It also means that with two "unlucky" rolls, a 6 and a 4, at 3rd and 4th levels you are done with your psionic powers for the day.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases