Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sidekicks

New playtest material fro WoTC. https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf I think this would be my DM's nightmare if implemented.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Also you can make the tiers yourself. Just cluster up all the stuff in the 20 level chart and put it into a 4 tier chart. Not that hard.

That wouldn't make it any simpler to run.

Be choosey, be wise -- make 4 tiers of sidekick that feel like the classes that inspire them, but aren't just those classes.

Warrior
Tier 1: Bonus Proficiencies, Second Wind 1/long rest, Prof +2
Tier 2: Extra Attack, Prof +3, ASI
Tier 3: Indomitable, Prof +4, ASI
Tier 4: Extra Attack *2, Second Wind 2 per, Prof +5, ASI

Quicker, cleaner, simple

Oofta

Legend
Takes me back to the day when we had 1 DM, 2 players and a bunch of retainers. I wouldn't want to use this with a bigger group, but for the occasional fill-in NPC (or just custom NPC as others have suggested) it would be nice.

I can see some players would try to abuse it, but I think this is just one of those things that's best left up to the DM on what kind of game they want to run.

Nice, but I'd strip down some of the abilities. And just call them NPC classes. 10 level max. I'd find that useful. The NPCs, as they exist, don't always fit their named roles. Next someone will say "well, change them". Might as well have a framework for that with NPC classes I'd say. As sidekicks have them advance at half the rate of the players (like Henchmen used to in another edition). Support the players, not replace them.

*edit* And for NPCs above 10th level, use the PC classes. Major NPCs deserve some love :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CTurbo

Explorer
I like the idea of sidekicks, and I like the idea of them having actual levels, BUT I do feel like they are too powerful.

The spellcaster gets 8th and 9th level spells??? I think at most they should MAYBE get up to 5th level spells. I think low level slots that recharge on short rests would be awesome enough for a spellcasting sidekick. I'd potentially be worried about their squishiness though. They probably need a defensive boost.

The expert gets a second attack? Why? Because no sneak attack damage? The Expert's purpose is not for dealing damage anyway. It would be a really powerful sidekick even if it couldn't attack at all. Just replace Extra Attack with Uncanny Dodge. Maybe give them a "hide in plain sight" type ability.

The warrior almost makes a better Champion than the Champion. Even though it exists only to help deal damage, I still don't think it should ever get 4 full attacks. I would probably cap it at 2 attacks and possibly give it a conditional reaction attack at higher levels. I could see giving them a small scaling bonus damage boost as they level though. Maybe switch some of those extra attacks with some more defensive buffs.

aco175

Legend
I look forward to the actual rules from these playtest rules. It would seem to be easier to take away from things perceived as too powerful than to add to perceived weakness.

CTurbo

Explorer
Oh and I can definitely see PC mount abuse from this. Think about all the CR1 and lower large beasts this opens up as a sidekick to ride on. Heck imagine a level 12 Warhorse "Warrior" sidekick with Plate armor and the Mobile feat.

Every party should have a pride of warrior Lion sidekicks/mounts to ride on lol

Can I multi-class my character into one of these side-kick classes? They have some cool abilities. Or will that make me a side-kick of one of the other PCs?

My first impression is they get lots and lots of neat abilities. They kind of remind me of 3e classes because they are just straight lvl 1-20 classes with no archetypes.

I like the idea because I don't like the FIND STEED spell and this is a nice way to have a Steed that can actually level with a Paladin but I fear it might be too much.

It makes Beast Masters even more sub-optimal.

I think this is the right way to go with NPC classes, in general. By adding these levels to monsters, it might make them more interesting to fight/play.

- I want to add my thumbs-up to making tiers instead of full-20 level classes

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
These aren't sidekicks, just streamlined PCs. They basically are just as useful. Maybe not the expert, but someone who can cast Wish isn't a sidekick.

Remove ads

Remove ads