Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip...

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip: mind sliver."

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 23.57.22.png

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This seems weird for a reason tho: if these are tests for a conjoint psionic archerypes + Dark Sun book, why does it offer a warlock themed with the depths of water? I think I remember a silt kraken in the 4e book, but Dark Sun lack large water pools, right?

I guess we already have a psionic flavoured patron as the Great-old-Ones, but this one would be out of place in a Dark Sun setting, IMO. Is there another setting where psionic makes a huge part of the theme while having something to do with lovecraftian stuff?

This seems weird for a reason tho: if these are tests for a conjoint psionic archerypes + Dark Sun book, why does it offer a warlock themed with the depths of water? I think I remember a silt kraken in the 4e book, but Dark Sun lack large water pools, right?

I guess we already have a psionic flavoured patron as the Great-old-Ones, but this one would be out of place in a Dark Sun setting, IMO. Is there another setting where psionic makes a huge part of the theme while having something to do with lovecraftian stuff?

I don't think it's Dark Sun.

Spelljammer? They have a lot of aberrant creatures flying around in space. But the water theme gives me pause.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Spelljammer.

I remember the Mystic had a bunch of powers that used Intelligence-saves or Charisma-saves or even Strength-saves.

I feel the psionics rules is going to introduce a lot of new spells and powers that use those less common saving throws.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, could be, could be....

Anyway, I never was a big fan of psionics before, but those last 4 four archetypes (well 3, I have a hard time with monks in general) are really elegant and I could see myself playing one of those.

Yeah, these are fun.

Really deeply unsure what they are planning here, but I wouldn't rule out a general options supplement at this point.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Weren't you discussing this before; that they were n't going forward with a psionic class (Mystic, Psion) but instead with psionic subclasses?

To add to what I said earlier, part of the plan as last talked about was to introduce a brand new Psionic Spell list, that was transparent with the existing Spell system but limiting access by Class (as we see in this new Spell).

Remove ads

Remove ads