Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Spirits Bard and Undeath Warlock

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.49.17 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm wondering if a few options that we pegged for the Q4 book might end up in a later goth book; the death stealer rogue and beast Barbarian both feel like they might fit the theme.

Maybe, time will tell: about half of the options tested in the past year are probably DOA, based on historical averages, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, makes it into print, and where.

Dausuul

Legend
I agree with most of what you say, but disagree with this conclusion. Combat in 5e is easy, so there is no point in min-maxing for it. The party will win whatever, the only difference min-maxing makes is it might be over a round earlier.
That is highly dependent on the DM. The CR and XP guidelines are guidelines, not rules; the DM is perfectly free to add more monsters without putting a "house rule" sticker on the campaign.

There are many tables where this assumption will get your PC killed in short order.

Insulting other members
Are you still stalking me?

That seems a silly diversion and childish attempt to have the last word in order to dodge the fact that cloying attempts to come off as virtuous and inclusive while undermining religious peoples is not very virtuous or inclusive.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm wondering if a few options that we pegged for the Q4 book might end up in a later goth book; the death stealer rogue and beast Barbarian both feel like they might fit the theme.
Maybe. They do fit in theme, but the Phantom Rogue did mention Shadar-Kai, so that makes me think they could go in a Planescape book. The Beast Barbarian could also fit in a Planescape book if they reflavored it to be like the Beastlands, but it currently doesn't have that theme, and fits more with these 2 new subclasses.

Weiley31

Legend
I've already having the Shadar-Kai with a ton of the UA classes, such as the Path of the Beast Barbarian. Although I can't believe I didn't add in the Phantom Rogue, especially with all the Token focus and the Raven Queen 5E token need aspect.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe. They do fit in theme, but the Phantom Rogue did mention Shadar-Kai, so that makes me think they could go in a Planescape book. The Beast Barbarian could also fit in a Planescape book if they reflavored it to be like the Beastlands, but it currently doesn't have that theme, and fits more with these 2 new subclasses.

Well, the thing about Planescape is that stuff can come from anywhere, and better yet for WotC purposes, go anywhere. A Genie Warlock is planar themed, but can fit in Waterdeep, no problem.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Well, the thing about Planescape is that stuff can come from anywhere, and better yet for WotC purposes, go anywhere. A Genie Warlock is planar themed, but can fit in Waterdeep, no problem.
Yeah.

I really do not think that this UA is meant for Xanathar's 2.0/Planescape. It doesn't fit the theme of the other more recent UA subclasses, and comes out too soon before November. Does anyone disagree?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases