Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting. What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I got that; was just continuing the conversation. Sorry if that wasn't clear. :eek:

I think your explanation's as good as any for a given campaign. :)
How long has the game considered Bards arcane, anyway? I seem to recall it as a 4e distinction. I can't recall 3.x, and in 2e they were rogues. Weren't they once druidic, or some weird thing?

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
How long has the game considered Bards arcane, anyway? I seem to recall it as a 4e distinction. I can't recall 3.x, and in 2e they were rogues. Weren't they once druidic, or some weird thing?

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app
1e they were effectively a prestige class that drew upon Druidic spells.

2e, 3e, and 4e they were arcane. 2e they used wizard spells and had a spell book. 4e their source was listed as arcane. 3e and 5e seem similar, a form of arcane magic without being wizardry.

Tony Vargas

Legend
1e they were effectively a prestige class that drew upon Druidic spells.

2e, 3e, and 4e they were arcane. 2e they used wizard spells and had a spell book. 4e their source was listed as arcane. 3e and 5e seem similar, a form of arcane magic without being wizardry.
5e does seem like a much-improved, genuinely-full-caster take on the 3.x Bard, and the Valor Bard does look just a bit like the Essentials Skald.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Any reason you can't use Ceremony spell to transfer the Ceremony spell to a Wizard, who transfers back a Find Familiar spell?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Any reason you can't use Ceremony spell to transfer the Ceremony spell to a Wizard, who transfers back a Find Familiar spell?

Both have a casting time of one hour, which is exactly long enough to forfeit the investiture. Unless your DM is being generous and lets you ignore the 6 seconds it takes to set up the turn order.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Both have a casting time of one hour, which is exactly long enough to forfeit the investiture. Unless your DM is being generous and lets you ignore the 6 seconds it takes to set up the turn order.

If it has to be cast within 1 hour, wouldn't the hour start counting after the time to cast it?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If it has to be cast within 1 hour, wouldn't the hour start counting after the time to cast it?

The hour would start when the first person finishes casting Ceremony, but before the second person can start casting. We are scrutinizing a span of time that is less than a turn long, and you may be able to convince a DM to rule in favor of it, but a strict reading would prevent any spell of one hour casting time or longer from working.

I'm not sure how I feel about the potion spell available to Wizards and Warlocks.
I definitely think that there should be something in place to prevent stocking up and then fully renewing casting resources however.

Thematically I don't have an issue with it: I've played an Artificer Wizard as the primary healer for a party. Note that the Artificer ability to produce potions is more limited in some ways than this spell: slots spent to create those potions cannot be regained until the potion is used or destroyed.

I very much doubt that many players will have an issue with the wizard or warlock making potions in terms of stealing their niche as long as the issue of potential free stacking is addressed. In broad terms, each spell slot spent by the wizard to create a potion is a spell slot freed up for the healer to use for something else.

Remove ads

Remove ads