"Unhittable"

Storm Raven

First Post
EricNoah said:
As a DM what do you do with monsters that can't really hit the high ACs of your PCs?

Some thoughts:

1) Use flanking to gain a +2 bonus
2) Use the "aid another" action so two creatures work together and one has a better chance to hit.

One option is to combine these two for a total +4 bonus to attack rolls. Have a pair of goblins, for example, flank a PC and then have one of them use the "aid another" action to give the other an additional bonus. Since the favored class for goblins is rogue, it would not be unreasonable to have some of a group of goblins be rogues. Pair each one up with a warrior, and have the warrior do the "aiding" so the rogue can sneak attack the PCs.

A bard to inspire courage or cleric who can cast bless on the bad guys side can also help. Just one 1st level classed opponent like this can give a huge edge to a group of cannon fodder. The +1 to attack rolls and +1 to damage from inspire courage can make a large gang of goblins much more dangerous (since the bonus gets applied to lots of attacks and damage rolls). The 1st level bard spell Harmonize from Magic of Faerun can boost the bonus from bardsong to +2/+2.

That means a reasonably intelligent gang of goblins could be attacking PCs with a +6 bonus to attack rolls and +2 to damage roills over and above their normal bonuses if they flank PCs, use the aid another tactic and have a goblin bard on their side.

Arkham

First Post
Nets and Bolos!

Drop them with a bolo ( Touch attack, automatic trip... )
then drop a net on them while attacking from reach with
longspears...

praetorian

First Post
Well I think the easiest solution to this problem is the same solution for just about every problem with high power PCs: anti-magic fields. Just throw in a beholder in the back row and let the PC slaughtering begin. The greatest weakness of any high level and most lower level PCs is their dependence on magic. Walk into the anti-magic field and BAM, your decked out PCs are back to masterwork quality equipment. However, a dragon still gets its deadly half dozen attacks (but no breath weapon), giants can tear up PCs in seconds, and a 12 headed pyro/cryro hydra becomes invincible.

Here is an example of a similar situation in my campaign. The PCs got transported to a parallel world by the power of an artifact. In this new world all their magic equipment no longer works (or clerical magic, since their gods don't exist here). being foolish 12 level adventurers, items like food and blankets have vanished from their character sheets. So I don't even have to throw a kabold at them, because they are going to die from cold/dehydration/starvation unless they can survive in the vast, open, snow covered lands. In this example you don't have to even grapple em or hit the "unhittables" because mother nature can put up a better fight than an army of orcs.

hong

WotC's bitch
Gargoyle said:

Yep, the grab is a melee touch attack. Grappling is a great way to hit the high AC guys, especially spellcasters.

Note that the initial grab is a touch attack, but to start the actual grapple, you have to make an opposed grapple check, which is (essentially) an opposed attack roll. If the 10th level guy has a +14 bonus and the 1st level mook has a +1 bonus, the 1st level mook isn't likely to achieve much.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well I'm going Clarke's route...

For me, a Lich (or even a dracolich) usually can take down parties pretty well. What I'd do, is using my vast d20 material, make a lich using Mongoose Publishing: Necromancy, have at least TWO good feats from there along with what they already suggest (replicate the Divine so I can have him create undead), and then add some Eldritch Feats as well (definately conjure mastery and one or two lace feats), and finally Augment summoning. That's enough for the lich itself, but then I toss out a ring of blue conjures AND a ring of spell turning. Also I'd add some special qualities and abilities from the Monsters of Faerun, like higher DR, more spell resistance, and finally, two more powers, probably cold balls and death's hand. Toss in a good amount of spells from various parts, (ranging from Magic of Faerun, Tome and Blood, Necromancy, and finally, Relics and Rituals) and kablam, dead party. Oh and I'd make sure to have LOTS of undead, probably even a Death Knight just for kicks.

Remove ads