• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Universal D20, Is it a good idea?

KnowTheToe

First Post
I find myself uninterested in D20 games besides D&D. I think by using the same rule structure for every game you play robs the individual identity and creativity out of the new game. A large part of my interest in gaming came from diversity in rules. From 1E D&D, James Bond, Tope Secret, Boot Hill, Tunnels & Trolls, Star Wars, Gamma World, and dozens of others, I enjoyed learning the mechanics of the games as much as I enjoyed playing them. If all new games come out as D20 is it more like playing a rich variety of games or more like playing Monopoly, Star Wars Monopoly, Nascar Monopoly, Simpson Monopoly, National Park Monopoly, Scooby-Doo Monopoly. To me it is all Monopoly no matter how you slice it.

Any other opinions?

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
I think that is question of personal preference. There have always been gamers (like the GURPS crowd) who liked the idea of being able to run radically different games and camapigns with the same basic mechanics. Although I know that I have enjoyed my experiences with learning various systems. If you want to learn one system and play scifi, fantasy, supers, horror, etc. with it; then you can. If you want to learn and play multiple systems, the other companies are still out there. Just a question of what you enjoy. :)

I've long since tired of learning new mechanics. The only reason to change the mechanics for me now is to make sure I meet the genre's requirements. Even then, a tweaking of the basic d20 mechanic beats a new system, as far as I'm concerned.

nsruf

First Post
While I like learning new rules sometimes, I also know many people who couldn't care less. It is probably a question whether you also like DMing or only playing.

And d20 mechanics are quite flexible and appeal to me, so I don't mind seeing them applied to campaigns as varied as Call of Cthulhu or Star Wars. I don't know any other RPG system which has these qualities (e.g. GURPS is way to complicated for my taste, although I've played it for quite a while).

Psion

Adventurer
I don't think d20 is the perfect system. You could make a lot better systems for a lot of games.

But I really am sufficiently unimpressed by the selection of non-d20 games currently in circulation that d20 is my first choice for a lot of venues. I hate rules-vapid trash and I hate dice pools or anything like them... and that describes entirely too much of the market.

That being the case, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I can think of systems that might handle certain venues better... but they ain't out there.

VoodooGroves

First Post
D20 uber-system

Here's the deal. D20 works very well for D&D. However, there are enough differences that Forgotten Realms is really not base D&D. Its fairly tough to drop a normal D&D char into FR and have it compete.

Same goes with Star Wars D20, CoC and any of the other D20 engine-based games. I think in most of them, there is enough different that they ARE their own game. Its not like D20 is an "Amazing Engine" game where you keep dropping the same character in different settings and everything magically works.

So, in that respect, I really like D20.

Sure, I lament the loss of the individual games and individual systems. I think many games just are not done well in D20 (not that many of them could not be done better - Dragon Lords of Melnibone comes to mind). Some I will continue to play in their native system. I had no desire to play Shadowrun GURPS, so I doubt I'll be playing any Shadowrun D20 - unless someone spends significant cash and development making Shadowrun D20 a unique thing in and of itself (a la Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu).

bardolph

First Post
My problem is that none of my players really bother to learn the rules anyway, and I end up having to run everything. Having one system helps to solve the headache.

I can only imagine how nightmarish it would be to try to teach Champions (for instance) to this group...

Gospog

First Post
I'm with Bardolph on this one. My players balk at learning any new rules, and run screaming from new rules systems.

D20 has allowed me to play not only D&D, but also Star Wars, CoC, Wierd Wars, Pulp Heroes, Shadow Chasers and at least two "home-brew" settings, all without major tutoring of my intractable players.

I like other systems as well, and I think that often a game system can add flavor and fun to a game. But I reserve these games for the players who are willing to learn the new rules, even just enough to play.

These players are rare, and D20 has given me the opportunity to play a slew of games with a minimum of headaches.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I figured the convenience of being familiar with the base system for multiple game systems would outweigh the diversity of learning new systems.

My concern is high levels of burnout, if you are running 3 different d20 based games, how long until you get bored of using the same advanceing, skill and feat structures. I don't know if I would be as interested in RPing if I always used the same engine for playing.

Personally, at this point in my life would rather pick up a D20 based game because I do not have time to learn new systems and finding players would be much easier.

How I miss the free time I had when I was 12.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads