• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Universal D20, Is it a good idea?

nsruf

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
My concern is high levels of burnout, if you are running 3 different d20 based games, how long until you get bored of using the same advanceing, skill and feat structures. I don't know if I would be as interested in RPing if I always used the same engine for playing.

The longer I play RPGs, the less I am interested in new mechanics. If they are sound (and d20 mostly is), I get along just fine. Burnout is more a problem of setting than game system for me, e.g. I sometimes get sick of heroic fantasy. But I think Star Wars d20 or Cthulhu would then still work for me.

How I miss the free time I had when I was 12.

Amen! :D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Originally posted by nsruf (e.g. GURPS is way to complicated for my taste, although I've played it for quite a while).

I agree - I switched from DnD to GURPS when ADnD2e came out mainly because I liked the whole custimisability and flexibility of the GURPS system. GURPS also has the best source books in the RPG market. However I also thought the mechanics were way too complex. So I stated experimenting with my own %-based system

The D20 came out and had both a simple elegant mechanic - roll D20 add mods - and the potential for the customisation of GURPS (now all we need is Classless D20 -which I have my own working version of:))

D20 is fun and as I both play and DM for the 'roleplaying' and ability to develop stories I like having a single system which doesn't detract from the RP and which can be used for different settings (since I long ago stopped using the standard medieval european-ish set)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads