• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unusual gaming terms and phrases

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
evileeyore said:
Beat him till the candy falls out Statment of intent towards BBEG. Refering to the Diabloesque means of aquiring loot...

I remember somebody on a similar thread once said that his players had taken to "cutting open the bad guys to drink from their xp gland".

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of that. And now back to your regularly scheduled forum...

Oh! I just recalled a phrase! "To pull a Chris" is similar in its derogatory nature to "pulling a Bowen", but it is used if a player whines that a fellow party member "stole his frag". I wish I could say that I'm joking.

Demiurge out.

The Goblin King

First Post
"Brent" became the name of any pet NPC which the DM uses as a mouthpiece. The first Brent was a stable boy who accompanied us on adventures. He took care of our horses and polished our armor. He had the ability to give us hints about what we were supposed to be doing when we were clueless. Through luck and DM fiat Brent never died in all the fights we were in.

After that adventure the phrase "Lets find Brent. He will know what to do." is uttered whenever we have no idea how to proceed in the adventure.

Mystic_23

First Post
So we have a couple of them.

"Brian Dead"
We had a player who couldn't get the idea of "You're not dead until you reach -10 hit points". So, whenever he got dropped under 0 hit points he would say something like "Great, now I'm dead!" It happened often enough that "Brian Dead" got to be the name for when someone has dropped under 0 hit points but had not quite reached -10.

A side note to this one is that for a long time we played in such a way that no-one had ever reached true death. The first character that actually died in the game of our normal DM was a character named "Pen". For a while (we don't use it anymore) true death was named "Pen Death". I don't know why we didn't call this "Dan Death" since the other one was "Brian Death" and not the name of a character. *shrug*

"The Melissa Chart"
We also for a while was playing with a player who had a blue 20 sided dice that she concidered her "lucky die". Unfortunately, this die would role an inordinate number of 1's. So many, in fact, that the critical miss chart that our DM used became known as the "Melissa Chart" as in, "Okay, you rolled a 1? Well...roll on the Melissa Chart".

Cbas10

First Post
Here's a selection of phrases you will hear in our games.

"Red Rover" - as in, "red rover, red rover, send joe right on over." This is our term for stupid wizard tactics involving tossing fireballs or other mass-damage spells into combat areas, disregarding the presence of party members. It started as a sort of code word to get people to get out of combat so the wizard could toss spells, but...well, lack of patience prevailed.

"Bigger Drizzt Syndrome" - is a play on the phrase, "bigger ...'richard'... syndrome." Similar to guys who need to demonstrate that they are cooler and tougher than others, this spawned from the plethora of two-sword wielding drow or other evil-turned-good cliche characters.

"Teched out", "Teching your character", and "Tech-tech-tech-tech" - reserved for players who have sooper kewl feat combos, huge bonuses to die rolls, and ultra-refined combinations of class features and/or magical items (especially when these things were loosely tied to a character concept, if at all). "Tech" was given to this concept because constructing characters in such a way was "technically" possible, but seemed about as imaginitive and original as playing a laboratory technician.

"off-brand", "generic", and "yellow-label" - most non-WotC d20 publishers that have not-yet proven themselves to be worth using in our games. It is not meant as an insult of inferior quality; rather it is a jab at the fact that there are SO MANY d20 publishers, that it takes something very good to be noticed and recognized as unique and worth money to buy. Otherwise, the non-WotC d20 shelf at the FLGS is merely full of a zillion books which all cover the same topics in 5 different ways. For example, in our games, source material comes from "Core" (WotC and Dragon magazines), "Scarred Lands", "AEG", "Kalamar", and "the other off-brand stuff."

"Munchkin Press" - books and/or publishers that obviously exist for the powergaming types. Sometimes it can apply to perfectly good books used in the wrong settings and games. "Swashbuckling Adventures" is certainly a great book, but fits in this catagory when someone wants to Tech-out their character in a standard game.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Forgot one:

"Massive Dexterity." This was sort of a running competition between the rogue and the ranger. Every once in a while one of them would make a terrible joke about it.

The rogue in question did, indeed, have 18 Int. I don't recall his Wis score, though. He had rolled absolutely ungodly high. He had something like an 18 and two 17s and some other pretty good ones. He always seems to roll well. On a sidenote, he rolled up an unfettered when we were testing out AU, and put a 9 into Str so he could have a good Cha score. So he's not all bad.

Zander

Explorer
Magmiss: In a long-lasting 1E campaign back in the 80's, we called Magic Missile Magmiss.

Day-oon-dah: In a 2E campaign, one of the players had been prohibited from playing D&D by his mother. We were afraid his brother would rat him out. So whenever we wanted to talk about gaming when his brother was around, we'd call D&D day-oon-dah (pronounced as one word, not by emphasising each syllable). Eventually, we started calling it day-oon-dah even when his brother wasn't around.

Sore and Fist** for "Sword and Fist". I can't tell you what "Fist**" was in full - Eric's Grandma wouldn't approve. :p

Remove ads