• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think my first choice would be something more like a Belgian wit than a German weissebier--I'd think the orange peel and coriander might work better than the yeasty esters. OTOH, that's entirely guesswork--and those witbier flavors might work better for braising pork than beef.
The citrus notes might not play too well with the bay leaf and thyme.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Fat Tire should work, I would think.

But anything stronger than Shiner could be too much. It might overwhelm the other seasonings.
"Strong" in my thinking is applying primarily to the alcohol content. Real bocks tend to be about 6%, doppelbocks anywhere from about 7% on up. Most of the extra flavor in bocks and doppelbocks (most of them, anyway) is from the malt, which I'd think would be fine with seasonings--the styles aren't usually heavily hopped. Maibocks are the exception to that last, which is why I don't recommend cooking with those.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't know that I'd expect bananas, bubblegum, and maybe smoke to play with bay and thyme all that well, either.

Another suggestion, if you don't mind crossing some streams here, is to try something like a wee heavy. Sure, that's a Scotch style, but it seems as though it'd play pretty well. My wife and I made a carbonnade with one that came out superbly.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wee heavy is a Scotch ale. The Scotch and the Irish have had their conflicts. It was a bad attempt ad a subtle joke ... Sorry.
Ah! 👍🏽

I’d experiment more, but I’m not just cooking for myself.

That said, I was never a fan of corned beef until I started braising mine. Mom loves it, so I’d always make her one for St. Patrick’s Day. I tried steaming, boiling, baking…but I never liked the stuff. And, TBH, I know mine weren’t as good as the ones she was getting at certain restaurants.

But when I did my first beer braise, Mom insisted I try it. I dutifully did so, and was stunned at how good it was. And we’ve been doing them that way ever since. In fact, these days, I usually do a few of them because we’re all eating it, and I usually put one in the freezer fot later in the year.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
At the bagel shop this morning, and a group of University students were taping a movie scene for a project. They wanted one of the actors to take a bite while the other actor was speaking, but he said it wasn't very good.

I think he was eating his heavily cream cheesed bagel like a sandwich, instead of smearing it on both sides and going open faced -so he was getting an, I think, absurd amount of it with each bite.

So, my question, bagel with cream cheese, closed sandwich style or open faced?

Ulfgeir

Hero
At the bagel shop this morning, and a group of University students were taping a movie scene for a project. They wanted one of the actors to take a bite while the other actor was speaking, but he said it wasn't very good.

I think he was eating his heavily cream cheesed bagel like a sandwich, instead of smearing it on both sides and going open faced -so he was getting an, I think, absurd amount of it with each bite.

So, my question, bagel with cream cheese, closed sandwich style or open faced?

Depends on how thick it is, and the amount of things on it. But I think open faced might be better.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve had good bagel sandwiches- I’ve MADE them, tbh- but slightly more often than not, I’m eating my bagels open faced.

Typically, for open faced meals, I’ll get something like a good everything bagel, split and toast it. On the heavily seasoned slice will go a shmear of lox spread or some other savory topping. Meanwhile, on the unseasoned side, I’ll use something sweet, like a honey-almond cream cheese. Then I’ll choose my bites as I wish.

But still, bagel sandwiches can be awesome. You just have to work around that hole in the middle!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I’ve had good bagel sandwiches- I’ve MADE them, tbh- but slightly more often than not, I’m eating my bagels open faced.

Typically, for open faced meals, I’ll get something like a good everything bagel, split and toast it. On the heavily seasoned slice will go a shmear of lox spread or some other savory topping. Meanwhile, on the unseasoned side, I’ll use something sweet, like a honey-almond cream cheese. Then I’ll choose my bites as I wish.

But still, bagel sandwiches can be awesome. You just have to work around that hole in the middle!
I have them closed all the time with something like sausage, egg, and cheese, or turkey, lettuce, and tomato. For some reason the single spread of cream cheese on bagel seems different than, say, peanut butter or jelly or tuna on bread.

Remove ads