Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That last one was actually damn simple. It’s basically a regular club sandwich with slightly unusual bread and a fancier swiss cheese.

The wild card ingredient was just some hot oil from a local Chinese restaurant mixed with honey. I started doing that mix a few years ago when I ran out of their sweet sauce wing down on some leftover appetizers. The honey worked just fine; I use about a 50/50 mix.

The only secret to the mix is that I use the best hot oil I’ve found. Most of my favorite chinese places just do their hot oil with pepper flakes in it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But the place I get my hot oil from is NOT one of my faves. They’re OK, but not in my top 5. Their hot oil, though, is unique, AFAIK: in addition to the pepper flakes, they include pan-seared ginger & garlic. It’s hard to taste in most uses of the hot oil, but but with the honey or another sweet sauce, those other flavors suddenly reveal themselves.

Unfortunately, the restaurant recently changed hands, and the hot oil seems to be going between the version I love and the normal kind. I may have to learn how to make my own.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Unfortunately, the restaurant recently changed hands, and the hot oil seems to be going between the version I love and the normal kind. I may have to learn how to make my own.

The upside, I guess, is that you can probably find a recipe that's pretty close and iterate until you get what you want. The downside, of course, is that it may take a few iterations. I don't have any recipes I can share or even point you at, alas.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The reimagined Father Dolan sandwich at Weinberger’s Deli in Grapevine, Tx:

Corned beef, pastrami, and turkey, all grilled
Melted Swiss cheese.
Lettuce, red onion, tomato, hot Giardiniera
Russian dressing, salt, pepper
Garlic and butter toasted 12” Poppyseed hoagie

Normally, I don’t have leftovers from a Weinberger’s sandwich except their mufaletta. Today, though, I had a late lunch and an early dinner, so I just couldn’t finish it off.

Zardnaar

Legend
The reimagined Father Dolan sandwich at Weinberger’s Deli in Grapevine, Tx:

Corned beef, pastrami, and turkey, all grilled
Melted Swiss cheese.
Lettuce, red onion, tomato, hot Giardiniera
Russian dressing, salt, pepper
Garlic and butter toasted 12” Poppyseed hoagie

Normally, I don’t have leftovers from a Weinberger’s sandwich except their mufaletta. Today, though, I had a late lunch and an early dinner, so I just couldn’t finish it off.

My wife liked this more than me. I would give it a shot though. Not a massive Turkey fan but willing to be proved wrong.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t care for corned beef, but the man is an evil genius.

A previous visit, I decided to test his skills, and ordered one of the meat loaf sandwiches he offers. Meat loaf is something I rarely eat- I mean years between meals kind of rare. And that sandwich disappeared like it was part of a stage mgician’s act.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'd probably prefer it without the lettuce and tomato--I don't like either, raw--but I'd be willing to trust that strong a rec otherwise. Of course, getting there is problematic at the moment ... :.-(

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Today’s breakfast: Prosciutto, Genoa salami & ham on toasted sourdough with smoked Gouda, spinach, tomatoes, spicy brown mustard, black pepper, red wine vinegar and mesquite-smoked olive oil

uc2sKN1.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve been watching a lot of cooking/culinary history shows over the past year, and I’ve noticed a lot of collard green sandwiches showing up across Southern and in Native Amexican culinary traditions. Some are vegetarian, some aren’t.

I’ve been thinking I might try something similar with sautéed garlic spinach, paired with hot links and cheese. Not that I don’t love collard greens, but I haven’t seen many lately, and I’ve got lots of spinach in hand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases