Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve heard about tge mayo thing, but never tried it.

I’m not too surprised by the apple butter thing, though. Apples go VERY well with cheeses like cheddar.

When I was in 2nd grade, one of my friend’ mom made us snacks whe we were all over at his house. One of the most common was apples sliced into wedges, each draped with slices of American cheese and dusted with apples. I still eat that to this day...and have been experimenting with other cheeses as well.

And there used to be a diner-like chain here called Jojo’s that had something called the Peasant Lunch: a bottomless bowl of cream of broccoli soup, 2 pieces of buttery garlic bread, an apple sliced into wedges, and several cubes of sharp cheddar. I’d order that (and a side of fries) almost every time I went there. It‘s simple as hell, but surprisingly hard to get right.

Despite years of trying, I haven’t found any place that does that combo as well as Jojo’s did. There’s always a weak spot- subpar soup is the most common, but others simply didn’t have fresh apples or cheddar in any form besides shredded.

Zardnaar

Legend
I had to read the labels to find out what some of the cheeses I was eating were.

They usually put something like Tasty on it (cheddar aged 18 months) or something else that's not what type it is.

Our Colby cheese looks different then again so is our butter so might be what the cows eat.

Distinct lack of cheddar on the label.

Tasty, Edam and Colby are the "normal" cheeses, didn't try Camembert and Brie until the 90's options were limited.

The normal cheeses are all pale yellow and idk the difference in a blind taste test.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Lightly toasted pita
Butter
Triple cream Brie
1 green onion, sliced into long quarters
Garlic sprouts
Smoked salsa
2 slices of prosciutto

Zardnaar

Legend
The beast.

Trying out a new cheese in steak sandwich. Different type of smoked whatever.

IMG_20210620_175151.jpg

Sweet chilli, honey mustard and jalapenos.

Beef marinaded in horseradish, garlic and smoked manuka BBQ sauce.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Soooo, I did a little leftover experiment this week… (Sorry, no pix.)

First, I made a vinaigrette of EVOO, Guilden’s Brown Mustard, and a peach balsamic vinegar I got from my local Farmers’ Market.

Then I took a pita and lightly toasted it.

I took one of my leftover pork chops (seasoned only with garlic pepper), sliced it into little strips smaller than my pinky, and warmed them in a pie pan in the toaster oven for @5 minutes at 425degF.

While that was in process, I julienned some baby spinach leaves. I also rinsed a handful of pecan halves and gave them 30sec in the microwave.

I took 1/3 to 1/2 of the vinaigrette and smeared it on the pita, almost like a pizza sauce. I topped that with the spinach and the pecans. Finally, I topped all of that with the warmed pork chunks and drizzled the remaining vinaigrette on the pork.

I folded it like a giant, thick soft taco or mutant, overstuffed gyro, took a bite, and…

Pretty good for a first try! Good enough to warrant considering another go at it.

In retrospect, I intended to include a little chive or green onion, and/or maybe some tomato, but I forgot. As it was, the sweetness, tanginess, tartness, spices and crunch all married well. The vinaigrette was very close to a honey mustard in flavor, but with a bit stronger fruit notes.

I might have also gotten a bit more flavor out of the pecans if I had warmed them with the pork. And including some smoked or oven roasted mild peppers (like Anaheims or Poblanos) might also elevate this a notch.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Turns out my standard "cream cheese and strawberry jelly" on a roast beef sandwich can be simplified by using strawberry-flavored whipped cream cheese spread. Cream cheese on one slice of bread, dijon mustard-- the hotter the better-- on the other, hot roast beef and sliced havarti between.

Zardnaar

Legend
Turns out my standard "cream cheese and strawberry jelly" on a roast beef sandwich can be simplified by using strawberry-flavored whipped cream cheese spread. Cream cheese on one slice of bread, dijon mustard-- the hotter the better-- on the other, hot roast beef and sliced havarti between.

Ok that's unusual. Strawberry jam plus roast beef gonna have to pass on that one.

It's genius in a way yeah nah on that one.

My plan was to do an open stack steak sandwich but turned into heat and eat due to hops poisoning.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases