Upcoming Arthurian Movie The Green Knight Has An RPG

The Green Knight, an Arthurian-themed movie starring Dev Patel as Sir Gawain has been delayed because of the global pandemic. However, you can pre-order the official RPG which releases in August!

The game is called The Green Knight: A Quest for Honor. Characters come in the form of knights, nobles, hunters, sorcerers, and bards, and comes in a boxed set with a rulebook, a book of encounters, a d20, character sheets, and a map. The game costs $35 and ships on August 7th.

20200706_A24_TheGreenKnight_Game_4420gray.jpg

As for the movie itself, here's the description: "An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table."

20200706_A24_TheGreenKnight_Game_4449gray.jpg

Here's a quick look at the movie's teaser trailer.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
I'm somewhat intrigued since I am an Arthurian myth buff and I do remember reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in high school. And for some reason, I do like the classes that have been selected.

Now the question is, can and will the game get expanded, especially after the movie has passed by and you complete the scenario?

Or do we just get an excuse to refluff the entire thing, after completing this, as "Monty Python and The Holy Grail: Spamalot D20 Editon: REVENGE OF THE UNDEAD BUNNY OF DOOM CAUGHT RED HANDED!!!! Editor's Note: NOW WITH EVEN LESS MUSICAL NUMBERS!!!"

timbolton

Explorer
I would love to get this, but since it's coming straight from the film company itself there distribution isn't so hot. I expect UK shipping to be bad and guessing there'll be an added customs charge on this when it gets to the UK? Anyone with experience of buying direct from US to UK know the exacts?
Would love to see shops like FP and other RPG ones get it in, but it's going to be limited copies and I can't out to any for now.

Besides, I've got Romance of the Perilous Land for Green Knight goodness.
But I have been looking forward to the film since initial announcement. Was lucky enough to do a one day course on Gawain the weekend before lockdown shut Liverpool Uni to the public - used my Tolkien translation for the short course :D

Dioltach

Legend
It will be interesting to see whether the game (or the movie even!) incorporates some of the deeper mythological elements. For example, the Green Knight is very obviously a representation of nature and its annual cycles.

But Gawain also represents the midday sun: his strength waxes in the morning, and wanes in the afternoon (even Mallory explicitly mentions this, which means that it's an essential feature of the character, since he was following the French tradition of making Gawain a scumbag).

There's also Percival, who (and I'm not sure anyone besides me has ever noticed this, because I never saw it mentioned in any of the literature during my studies) represents the setting and rising sun, and/or the winter solstice, and death and rebirth. I once wrote an essay where I drew a comparison between the Percival stories and Star Wars: Percival kills the Red Knight who had killed his father, and then becomes the Red Knight himself. The implication is that his father was actually the Red Knight, just the same way Anakin was "killed" by Darth Vader.

There are other things like this going on in medieval romances. Sir Greysteel in "Eger and Grime" for instance has the same "stronger until midday, then weaker" that Gawain does, and characters who, if you scratch the surface, actually represent Celtic gods: the Morrigan, in her various guises, becomes Morgan le Faye, Morgause, Mordred.

I'd love to see a Arthurian movie that does this, instead of the standard "knights fighting evil invaders/evil traitors" stories.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
There are other things like this going on in medieval romances. Sir Greysteel in "Eger and Grime" for instance has the same "stronger until midday, then weaker" that Gawain does, and characters who, if you scratch the surface, actually represent Celtic gods: the Morrigan, in her various guises, becomes Morgan le Faye, Morgause, Mordred.

I'd love to see a Arthurian movie that does this, instead of the standard "knights fighting evil invaders/evil traitors" stories.
I'd love to see your next post about it. This one was very interesting!

I'm off to see if Google has appropriated these works for "the public good..."

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases