Upcoming Classes Speculation

Bruce Cordell tried with the Ardent to create a psionic replacement for the cleric, and it was determined to be too powerful in 3e so it got split into 2 classes, the Ardent and the Divine Mind. This time around, he has a clean slate to start with, so all he'll do is just redo the Ardent, and it will have many of the Divine Mind's abilities.

Now, as for powers probably more of the psychometablism powers will go to the Psychic Warrior, along with feats like psionic weapon and deep impact which will probably be encounter powers. The Lurk/Soulknife or Monk is going to more of the psychoporation powers, as well as Burst, feats that will become powers like Speed of Thought and Up The Walls.

I suspect there'll be a Tech power source later, it won't be based off of modern technology or real science in any way. It'll be based off of steam-tech and pulp pseudo-science. We'll be looking at classes with ray guns as implements. It's possible that the artificer might have this power source.

MaelStorm said:
Hypothetical power sources for the bard are Divine or Arcane, I did put bard in the arcane camp in my previous post, but in R&C it is mentioned:
So the power source could very well be from the Divine.
The Warlock gets its powers from outside sources and entities, and they're an arcane class.

cdrcjsn said:
Aren't they planning on releasing Druids and Barbarians in PHB2 (or at least most people assume). Just because the Bard is finished now, it doesn't mean it won't go in the same supplement as those two and both are assumed to have a Primal source. Who's to say that those two classes aren't already finished as well (or mostly finished)?
They mentioned they haven't really decided on what goes into the PHB2 just that they're starting it. PHB2 will also likely have the swordmage as a class too from what I've heard, since not everyone may want to get the FR Player's Guide to get such a class. They'll likely have primal and psionic classes, but they'll likely have other classes of arcane, divine and martial power sources too. Nothing about the bard strikes me as being primal, they lost all of that back in 1e, and this time everything about the bard in 2e and 3e, will definitely outweigh the 1e. No other class could really be an arcane leader.

cdrcjsn

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Nothing about the bard strikes me as being primal, they lost all of that back in 1e, and this time everything about the bard in 2e and 3e, will definitely outweigh the 1e. No other class could really be an arcane leader.

They have repeatedly stated that they have no intention in "filling out the box", so there may very well be no Arcane Leader coming.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
cdrcjsn said:
They have repeatedly stated that they have no intention in "filling out the box", so there may very well be no Arcane Leader coming.

Exactly, or this, so far contrived, Martial Controller people are clamouring for.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
These are the ones I'm pretty sure about:

Barbarian = Primal Defender
Druid = Primal Leader
Swordmage = Arcane Defender (I hope they rename this guy, "Mageknight" would be ideal but obviously can't be used :) )
Bard = Arcane Leader
Psion = Psionic Controller

I'm not so sure of these:

Monk = Divine Striker
Shadowcaster = Shadow Controller
Illusionist = Arcane Controller

lexoanvil

First Post
if they plan on following the same pattern as PH1 we can expect to see 3 types of powers and 8 classes i expect the following

bard (shadow)
druid (primal)
monk(psionic)
barbarian(primal)
necromancer(shadow)
psion(psionic)
psionic warrior (psionic)
swordmage(arcane)

races i would guess gnome half-orc half-giant elan maybe tri-kreen and gith races

lexoanvil

First Post
i guess the reason the bard was not in PH1 was he did not fit material arcane or divine. why else would they have warlord over a bard?

Remove ads