D&D (2024) Upcoming One D&D: Unearthed Arcana 'Expert' Classes (Bard, Ranger, Rogue)

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass. This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the 2014 Player's Handbook, except where...

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass.

This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the

2014 Player's Handbook, except where noted. Providing feedback on this document is one way you can help shape the next generation of D&D!

Inside you'll find the following content:

Expert Classes. Three Classes appear in this document, each one a member of the Expert Group: the Bard, the Ranger, and the Rogue. Each Class appears with one Subclass. More Subclasses will appear in Unearthed Arcana in the months ahead.

Feats. Feats follow the Class descriptions, particularly feats available to the classes in this document.

Spell Lists. Three Spell lists-the Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists-are featured here. The Ranger uses the Primal list, and the Bard potentially uses all three, thanks to the Magical Secrets feature.

Rules Glossary. In this document, any term in the body text that is underlined appears in a glossary at the end. The glossary defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don't appear in the 2014 Player's Handbook.

Vael

Legend
If they want to spend a feat, let them is my opinion. They still have low HP, and personally I think there are better feats a wizard would choose before that. Maybe bladesinger type, but I think it's pretty rare when a wizard chooses that feat.
To be clear, I'm actually I'm in agreement. When 5e debuted, I remember a lot of hub bub over Mountain Dwarfs making the best Wizards because of their innate armor proficiency. I like the idea of the soldier background for a war wizard giving them armor proficiency.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
A lot of talk about feats being nerfed, but I haven't seen much commentary about how those impacted feats now grant stat bonuses. So even though you lose the -5/+10, you can increase a stat. Is that such a nerf, really, with all things factored in that result from the stat increase?
It's a nerf. The -5/+10 mechanic was roughly equivalent to a +1 in the main stat modifier in and of itself, but it also synergized and stacked with having a 20 Dex or Str. The loss of that mechanic lowers the ceiling of damage capability for archers and heavy weapon users, ergo, a nerf.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good change; many good changes are nerfs. It's something to keep on an eye on when looking holistically at martial balance versus casters, that's all.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's a nerf. The -5/+10 mechanic was roughly equivalent to a +1 in the main stat modifier in and of itself, but it also synergized and stacked with having a 20 Dex or Str. The loss of that mechanic lowers the ceiling of damage capability for archers and heavy weapon users, ergo, a nerf.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good change; many good changes are nerfs. It's something to keep on an eye on when looking holistically at martial balance versus casters, that's all.
It's as much a biff as a nerf, since there is no -5 to hit. Lower ceiling, higher floor, probably works out about the same in the long run.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who likes Rangers with spells. I’m actually really excited that they are getting the ability to prepare spells, gaining cantrips, and are getting a wider spell list.

That could easily be in a subclass, though. In fact, I'd LOVE to see non-magic Ranger subclasses with abilities that are roughly as powerful as spellcasting. Imagine a pet that's equal to spells?

Aldarc

Legend
That could easily be in a subclass, though. In fact, I'd LOVE to see non-magic Ranger subclasses with abilities that are roughly as powerful as spellcasting. Imagine a pet that's equal to spells?
Nah. Pets are spells. Your ranger bow? That's a spell too. Attacking with a sword? That's a spell. Any feature can be a spell. So to make things easier, everything will be a spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads