• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Upcoming One D&D: Unearthed Arcana 'Expert' Classes (Bard, Ranger, Rogue)

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass. This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the 2014 Player's Handbook, except where...

WotC has posted a video describing the upcoming Unearthed Arcana playtest document which will feature three of the core character classes, each with a single subclass.

This document is the second in a series of Unearthed Arcana articles that present material designed for the next version of the Player's Handbook. The material here uses the rules in the

2014 Player's Handbook, except where noted. Providing feedback on this document is one way you can help shape the next generation of D&D!

Inside you'll find the following content:

Expert Classes. Three Classes appear in this document, each one a member of the Expert Group: the Bard, the Ranger, and the Rogue. Each Class appears with one Subclass. More Subclasses will appear in Unearthed Arcana in the months ahead.

Feats. Feats follow the Class descriptions, particularly feats available to the classes in this document.

Spell Lists. Three Spell lists-the Arcane, Divine, and Primal lists-are featured here. The Ranger uses the Primal list, and the Bard potentially uses all three, thanks to the Magical Secrets feature.

Rules Glossary. In this document, any term in the body text that is underlined appears in a glossary at the end. The glossary defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don't appear in the 2014 Player's Handbook.

it's not up here yet

Sounds like it's going to be bard ranger & rogue
edit: interesting takeaways:
this is great and I am super hopeful for what it means
I like that better
  • artificer will be in a playtest eventually
hopefully in the PHB too
  • class groups are a thing that appeared in the past back to 2e & provide a way to deliver certain classes aspects of the game as a prerequisite.. Crawford gives many examples & details
    • apparently ranger gets expertise along with the other expert type classes
    • All three have aspects from the warrior/priest/mage groups that are unique to each class
I wonder if the class groups are like the 4e roles with new names.
  • Also something that people are going to see in both the ranger & the bard in this UA is a list of suggested prepared spells
    • "sometimes playing a spellcaster can be a little daunting so what we've done to make it a bit easier to ease into a spellcaster that you've never played.. [it provides a set of suggested prepared spells from level 1-20]
    • Also expect to see it on other spellcasters as they come. You still have the option to change them on a long rest
I like the idea of a list of 'here is a prebuilt level up ideas, but you can customize them.
  • Ritual spellcasting. If you can cast a spell & it has the ritual tag you can ritual cast it for spellcasters of all sorts (see new rules glossary)
makes sense
  • capstones or equivalent moved to 18 & now at 20 epic boons come up
this has me overjoyed they may actually be listening to us.

OB1

Jedi Master
So it sounds like we'll get

Expert - Rogue, Ranger, Bard
Warrior - Fighter, Barbarian, Monk (Paladin?)
Arcane - Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Priest (?) - Cleric, Druid, Paladin (Monk?)

Edit: Ninjaed by @Delazar :)

Also, feels kind of weird for a Druid to be considered a 'Priest'

Hearing that artificer will not be in the PHB is depressing.

For some reason WotC hates arcane half casters so we're not even getting one on release. Probs have to wait till 2030 or something for it looking at 5e.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So it sounds like we'll get

Expert - Rogue, Ranger, Bard
Warrior - Fighter, Barbarian, Monk (Paladin?)
Arcane - Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Priest (?) - Cleric, Druid, Paladin (Monk?)

Edit: Ninjaed by @Delazar :)

Also, feels kind of weird for a Druid to be considered a 'Priest'
I'm pretty sure that Crawford said that the Artificer will be an expert, so that group gets one more.

Remove ads

Remove ads