Upcoming video features; Forbes on D&D; PLUS Is sexism in gaming a problem?

Upcoming Video Featurettes We've returned from the UK Games Expo, laden down with video footage for a few planned upcoming short video features. Titles are not yet determined, but here are the videos we'll be making: 13th AGE -- Pelgrane Press kindly ran a two-hour demo of 13th Age for us; and we have it all on video! Now, I know that watching other people play an RPG for two hours isn't...

[h=3]Upcoming Video Featurettes[/h]
We've returned from the UK Games Expo, laden down with video footage for a few planned upcoming short video features. Titles are not yet determined, but here are the videos we'll be making:

• 13th AGE -- Pelgrane Press kindly ran a two-hour demo of 13th Age for us; and we have it all on video! Now, I know that watching other people play an RPG for two hours isn't the most exciting way to spend your time, but we'll be editing that down to the most fun parts, adding in some fancy graphics and images, and interspersing that with interview clips and factoids for a 5-minute nugget of 13th-Age goodness! Thanks to Pete Griffith for running the game, and to Cat Tobin for arranging it - you were both fantastic!
  • SEXISM IN GAMING -- we asked lots and lots of people of all stripes (designers, artists, cosplayers, fans, The Doctor, men, women, and more) a number of questions about sexism in gaming. We'll be producing a video feature on that subject very soon. We're also following up by asking "Do you feel that sexism in gaming is a problem?" right here; so please reply with your thoughts. NOTE: your post and name may be quoted onscreen in the video.
  • KICKSTARTERS -- many people were willing to share their thoughts on Kickstarters with us - the effects on the industry, potential benefits and pitfalls, the future of crowdfunding, and so on.
  • GAMING THROUGHOUT THE AGES -- We asked a number of people how gaming had changed for them over the years in terms of both their own personal gaming experiences, preferences, scheduling, etc.; and how the hobby as a whole had changed.
  • PUBLISHER INTERVIEWS -- We were also able to sit down with a number of game publishers and discuss the exciting stuff they have available!

[h=3]Forbes on D&D[/h]
Clearly aware that I was busy this weekend, Forbes very kindly stepped in and covered the D&D news for me.
  • Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle is an exclusive D&D next campaign being released at GenCon, along with a copy of the D&D Next playtest rules! [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?337112-Exclusive-D-amp-D-Next-Campaign-available-at-Gen-Con-Only[/threadcm]
  • They also interviewed D&D lead designer Mike Mearls in an article which asks What's Next? [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?337144-D-amp-D-on-Forbes[/threadcm]
  • There's also some info about the D&D video game that isn't Neverwinter.

[h=3]Pathfinder News[/h]
  • New Pathfinder Battles minis previews on the Paizo Blog - monsters of the high seas!
  • Paizo is now hiring for a Staff Accountant position! Check out the job listing for more details.
  • James Jacobs put together a sneak preview of the new art in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

PZO6000-Illustration6.jpg

[h=3]Other EN World News[/h]
  • Challenger RPG presents Game Design 111: Concepts.
  • Microtransactions are the topic of Radiating Gnomes latest Gamehackery column. Can they work in tabletop RPGs? A little more than a month ago, Wizards posted a job looking for a Senior Business Manager for D&D. One of the job duties in the job description was "Provide strategic and tactical ecommerce and merchandising leadership on Dungeons & Dragons to drive revenue using micro and macro-transaction models."
  • And Kamikaze Midget gives you the Mythopoetry of Bugbears!

[h=3]RPG News[/h]
  • Green Ronin has announced a volunteer GM team called the Freebooter Game Demo program.
  • Conquest of the Universe is a Pathfinder space-opera campaign on Kickstarter. You can download a preview.
  • You can also download the beta rules of Gun Metal Games' Interface Zero 2.0.
  • Pelgrane Press' current playtest opportunities include Trail of Cthulhu and an Ashen Stars character builder, along with a 13th Age bestiary.
  • There's another (final) preview of Cubicle 7's Victoriana 3rd Ed game. This chapter is called "Trials and Tribulations" and is the GM section of the book.
  • Psi-Punk is a new FUDGE-based cyberpunk RPG. It was Kickstarted in 2012 and "combines a futuristic cyberpunk setting with a healthy dose of psionics to bring you a unique alternate world rife with intrigue, espionage, action, and adventure."
  • Green Ronin has teamed up with George RR Martin again for the Wild Cards SCARE sheet series for Mutants & Masterminds.
  • Monsters of Sin from Kobold Press is now available. A book of 21 Pathfinder monsters based on the seven deadly sins.

[h=3]Community News[/h]
A few people have asked me "How do I get [my blog/article] listed in the community news section?" -- it's pretty easy. Just drop me an email with your news, and I'll probably include it!
  • Journeyman GM posts a 100th blog post retrospective where he lists his favourite blog posts. This includes essays on RPG theory, a cuple of reviews, and some gameplay descriptions. On the sad side, this is also his last post for the foreseeable future.
  • Kobold Press presents Why I’m Forever Hooked on Deathtrap Dungeons.
  • Gnome Stew looks at pictures for gaming inspiration.
  • Over on Geek's Dream Girl you can read a review of the recently re-released premium D&D 3.5 Spell Compendium.
  • Gaming Tonic talks about some Pathfinder house rules used in his game.
  • Cross Planes has a pile of Weird War Stories icons for 13th Age.

[h=3]Boardgaming News[/h]
  • UKGE happened.
  • The Portland (OR) Tribune carries a story about a newly opened Board Game Museum. The museum will have rotating game displays featuring various vintage and hard to find games as well as special themed displays focusing on special occasions and cultures. The museum opened this week and, if you are in the Portland/Beaverton area, admission is free through Saturday.
  • Spartan Games has announced that their Uncharted Seas game line will be moving to a mail order only distribution model. Spartan cites flagging interest in the line and market saturation as the reasons for the change. New products in the line will continue to be developed, but will only be available through them.
  • Toc Toc Woodman is a dexterity game with a plastic tree and axe. You must knock bark off the tree without taking out the core. Play Board Games reviews it for you!

delericho

Legend
After the recent thread about D&D Next promoting equality (or not), I promised myself I wouldn't post in another of these threads; they're just too bruising. Of course, the problem with doing that is that you cede the right to have your voice heard...

"Do you feel that sexism in gaming is a problem?"

IMO, yes, about as much as in video games, a bit less than in comic books (but not comic book movies), and probably marginally less than in society generally. Also, less than it was a decade ago, and a bit more than will be the case a decade from now.

Still, the report card reads "must do better", and probably always will - you can never have too little sexism.

Smoss

First Post
This can be a loaded question - And in that the answer is truly - It depends. What gaming?

Published rules (D&D, PF, SW, etc)? You can make a case for some as very much yes, some very much no.

Gaming culture? That depends on location. One gaming place I know of creeped out my female friends due to the leering guys in it. Others are extremely friendly open and not at all sexist. This in and of itself IS a problem (There should not be any place that makes you feel uncomfortable). Yet this is also a product of one group of people. In the words of several wise people, there is evil in every group.

The question then comes down to how well we have reduced this group. How large is it? How do we speak against it? IMHO we still have not done enough in this regard. People still look the other way too often at sexism (And other -isms, but that is another story). So are we doing better? Undeniably yes. We just have a ways to go yet. The number of female gamers I know and play with continues to grow, so hopefully this is a good sign!

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
"Do you feel that sexism in gaming is a problem?"
I am a 26 year old woman who started playing at the age of 8. I can say that very little has improved in the attitude of most people I have met.

last year a comic and game store in my area went out of buisness. I was there the first week it was open, and the last day it closed. The owner used to joke with me about how a guy gave me a hard time 3 or 4 years ago. (remeber 15 or 16 year old me was there the first week this place opened) when I walked in, and the guy I never met before asked "Are you lost, or are you a booth girl?" becuse the idea I was there looking for D&D books and War hammer minis was too far out there.

I have in the last year been told I am not a 'real' nerd (although I never claimed to be) at a convention, and had someone try to explain RPGs and minis by compairing them to dolls so I would 'get it'.

I also walked in on a game right before christmas with my married friend, and was asked to leave becuse 'girlfriends are not welcome' when I tried to explain that I had been playing for over ten years they laughed at me.

then again when I went to free comic book day the last 3 years I have gotten the same attitude.

It is not everyone, but there are ALOT of people who seam to think I don't have just as much fun playing as anyone.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I just posted a responce on the WotC board I am reposting here:

[quote author=89242858 post=532682003]One thing missing from new editions is making females weaker than males. I know its fantasy but it was a lot less dissonant for me when females were a little weaker. You can look at this as flabbier or just less developed, whatever fits your milieu. If it is easy to houserule out that's fine, but if it is too embroiled in the mechanics for women to be as strong as men it is a dealbreaker for me. Its too dissonant.[/quote]

I am a 26 year old woman, and for the last ten years I have never in my experance met a man who could kick my butt. I don't know if you would call it Str, Dex, or Con, or all three (the system is a little abstact) but my ability to inflick damage is in no way effected by being able to have children, or having boobs...

I also know plenty of people who work out, and many woman can keep up with men at weight lifting.

You sir are offencive. I see no reason why my fighter needs to take a penelty to hit and damage just becuse you seem to think that is 'more realistic'. Maybe at my next kick boxing class I will tell my best friend (linda) and our teacher (Maggy) they are not as good at dealing damage as men...see how they take it.

Janx

Hero
I am a 26 year old woman who started playing at the age of 8. I can say that very little has improved in the attitude of most people I have met.
...snip examples of sexism...
It is not everyone, but there are ALOT of people who seam to think I don't have just as much fun playing as anyone.

Wow. I'm surprised that kind of crap still goes on. Your story is like a stereotype of bad behavior.

I'm sure everybody says something sexist or racist a few times in their lives, but I figured most of us quit doing the blatant stuff a while back.

Most gamers on this site don't talk that way.

And I don't recall treating any female gamer that way nor seeing any such occurrence.

Hopefully meaning, that while you are a magnet for morons, you have hopefully drawn more of them to you such that there are fewer of them elsewhere.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Wow. I'm surprised that kind of crap still goes on. Your story is like a stereotype of bad behavior.

I'm sure everybody says something sexist or racist a few times in their lives, but I figured most of us quit doing the blatant stuff a while back.

Most gamers on this site don't talk that way.

And I don't recall treating any female gamer that way nor seeing any such occurrence.

Hopefully meaning, that while you are a magnet for morons, you have hopefully drawn more of them to you such that there are fewer of them elsewhere.

those are the worst examples. and spread out, it isn't like I get them every day, or even every week. There is ALOT of BS out there, but there are also alot of good peeps too.

If you want just a little one try this.. people who call the 'enemy phase' of ssome board games (arkahm is a big one) the rape phrase.

Janx

Hero
those are the worst examples. and spread out, it isn't like I get them every day, or even every week. There is ALOT of BS out there, but there are also alot of good peeps too.

If you want just a little one try this.. people who call the 'enemy phase' of ssome board games (arkahm is a big one) the rape phrase.

I see a difference with that last one. The last one is a term about a very bad thing being used colloquially in a game. It ain't directed at you or your gender. In all probability, the guys using the term are referring to being Bubba'd by the inmates (male anal rape in prison). Guys can joke about anything, and most everything is inappropriate to somebody else. Considering where I first heard the term was Settlers of Catan and the high school gaming club (dominated by girl membership that my friend ran) and they referrred to the bandit as Raoul and would joke about "Raul is raping me" whenever he landed on their land. Crude humor is crude humor.

That's a world of difference than specifically belittling you because you are a woman at a gaming event.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads