[UPDATED] A Savage D&D 5E Campaign Setting From the Makers of PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE

Sasquatch Game Studios - made up of WotC alumni Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Stephen Schubert - is the company which produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Now they're turning their eyes towards a 288-page full-colour hardcover setting. This will be a D&D 5th Edition version of their Howard/Lovecraft inspired Primeval Thule campaign setting which already exists for Pathfinder, 13th Age, and D&D 4E.

Sasquatch Game Studios - made up of WotC alumni Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Stephen Schubert - is the company which produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Now they're turning their eyes towards a 288-page full-colour hardcover setting. This will be a D&D 5th Edition version of their Howard/Lovecraft inspired Primeval Thule campaign setting which already exists for Pathfinder, 13th Age, and D&D 4E.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter is live!

Primeval Thule
is described as a "savage, intense campaign setting". With influences from the likes of Conan and Cthulhu, it's an "dangerous place full of barbaric wilderness, decadent city-states, horrific monsters, and eldritch mysteries". If you're a fan of pulp fantasy and horror, Conan the Barbarian, Kull of Atlantis, Hyperborea, Tarzan, and Lovecraft's alien gods, you should enjoy this. Add in a healthy dose of Burroughs' Pellucidar and the Land That Time Forgot, plus the art styles of Frank Frazetta and the likes, and you'll get the idea.

Sasquatch will be producing a 288-page hardcover book in full colour, with a continental poster map. It will contain more than 40 new monsters, plus the range of spells, magic items, and all the other stuff you'd expect to see in a campaign setting. It'll be the first fully-fledged campaign setting for D&D 5E.

They're doing this via a Kickstarter next week. The exact launch date is not decided yet, but it's only a few days away. As Dave Noonan says, "We're going to fulfill this fast! Because this is a new version of a book we've already published, most of the text and all of the art is already done. We'll send files to the printing press as soon as the Kickstarter campaign closes and we know how many books we need." Like others dipping into 5E publishing, the Open Gaming License will be used.

The existing versions of the setting contain a new character race (the Atlanteans), 19 "heroic narratives", over 40 monsters, 3 adventures, a city called Quodeth, City of Thieves, and a continent of "savage adventure".

Below is an image of the Pathfinder version of Primeval Thule. I don't know if the 5E version will look the same, but the 13th Age and 4E version do, so it's a safe bet.

133780.jpg

"Welcome to Thule, a primordial land of fierce barbarians, elder horrors, and savage wilderness. In this ancient age, humankind is a young race, newly arisen on a monster-haunted Earth. Cities of cruel splendor lie scattered across the great lands of the north like a handful of gems strewn from a dead thief's hand.

This is a doomed age, a time of great deeds and inhuman terror destined to be lost and forgotten beneath the numbing cloak of endless winter. But for one glittering moment, Thule lives—and it is a fierce, cruel, splendid, and marvelous moment indeed."

More information as I get it!

I'm up in the Winterless North. Not sure what the costs shipping around NZ are going to be too.

At the (current low) Exhange Rate we are looking at around NZ$480, say plus $10 to send 4 copies around NZ makes it NZ$520 / 5 = $104 and only one person gets the PDF.

I think hoping for Amazon maybe a better proposition :(

nerfherder

Explorer
Damn, I missed out on the "first 50." I signed up for the $75 "give me everything" bundle.

I usually miss them, too. I think this is the first time I managed to snag one.

The $35 postage did make me pause and think about going PDF only - but I really like having the core books in physical format to browse through.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Why do people care about the OGL so much? They are doin it, and are not being stopped. ....who cares? I am intrigued by the setting.....

mrm1138

Explorer
[MENTION=2057]Zaukrie[/MENTION], I think people just want to be sure that this will actually happen and won't be shut down by WOTC for legal reasons.

Rich Baker

First Post
Yeah, we're sorry about that, Nerfherder. We built our reward levels so that the basic book (at $60) includes $10 for domestic shipping and handling. The $35 upcharge for int'l shipping incorporates that $10 domestic charge, which in effect means we're asking $45 for int'l shipping. And the crazy thing is, that's how much it costs. Some countries we come in a few dollars less, but other countries (the UK, for instance) actually cost us more like $55 to ship one Primeval Thule book. Ouch!

If you know some other folks in your country who might want the book, take a look at the Group Thule reward option. Adding the weight of extra books to something that's already going overseas is not anywhere near as costly as shipping those books separately, so we can save a great deal on the shipping and pass that savings along to the backers. We'd love to spend money on books, not postage!

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

I usually miss them, too. I think this is the first time I managed to snag one.

The $35 postage did make me pause and think about going PDF only - but I really like having the core books in physical format to browse through.

nerfherder

Explorer
Yeah, we're sorry about that, Nerfherder. We built our reward levels so that the basic book (at $60) includes $10 for domestic shipping and handling. The $35 upcharge for int'l shipping incorporates that $10 domestic charge, which in effect means we're asking $45 for int'l shipping. And the crazy thing is, that's how much it costs. Some countries we come in a few dollars less, but other countries (the UK, for instance) actually cost us more like $55 to ship one Primeval Thule book. Ouch!

If you know some other folks in your country who might want the book, take a look at the Group Thule reward option. Adding the weight of extra books to something that's already going overseas is not anywhere near as costly as shipping those books separately, so we can save a great deal on the shipping and pass that savings along to the backers. We'd love to spend money on books, not postage!

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

Thanks for the explanation. I've seen it more and more on non-UK kickstarters, and it has made me pickier about which ones I choose the physical product option for. Looking at the last "International" kickstarter I backed, it was actually being published by Pelgrane Press, so shipping to UK and US was quite reasonable - but the rest of the world was an extra $30. Paraphrasing you, I'd love to give my money to you, not a courier! :)

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm just getting the pdf, but that's because I already have a premium leatherbound 13th Age version, purchased before our dollar went in the tank. I probably don't really need it; conversion wouldn't be too tough, but I don't mind supporting this.

Remove ads

Remove ads