• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED AGAIN!] PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE - First Review!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

[UPDATE -- the author has deleted his review.]

UPDATE 2 -- he has kindly reposted it!

Click on the image below, read the comment, and as soon as you get your copy be sure to rate and comment on it yourself!

image.jpg

Fildrigar

Explorer
I could easily have beefed it up a bit, but honestly my players aren't really optimizers. They're mostly more about the Story and playing with friends. We're down to five players now, and the air guys will be back when orders from higher in the cult come back. ( You what! You sent adventurers after the earth cult? What were you thinking? Go kick their butts now! )

I like a living adventure with things going on behind the scenes. No static, video gamey adventures for me.

graves3141

First Post
The information provided here pretty much took this from a "maybe order it, for my next game" to a "almost certainly buy early and use immediately".

Me as well, I was kinda on the fence but I'm definitely getting it now that I know more about it. It sounds like a top-notch adventure. If it's as good as it sounds then maybe people will start seeing PotA as the flagship adventure for 5E.

Chocolategravy

First Post
It's not too big of an issue, but might take some tweaking. Bounded accuracy means an encounter a level or two below isn't going to automatically be a complete pushover.
There is a discontinuity in the power curve at level 5. A 5th level party getting 2x the number of attacks from the extra attack ability, 2x the number of shots with their cantrips which all double in power at level 5 and dropping fireballs on enemy groups that only have enough HP for fighting a level 3 party will indeed be a complete pushover. 5E doesn't have bounded accuracy regardless.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
There is a discontinuity in the power curve at level 5. A 5th level party getting 2x the number of attacks from the extra attack ability, 2x the number of shots with their cantrips which all double in power at level 5 and dropping fireballs on enemy groups that only have enough HP for fighting a level 3 party will indeed be a complete pushover. 5E doesn't have bounded accuracy regardless.
Disregarding the last sentence, there is definitely a soft tier system in 5e, with breaks at 5 and 11, and softer breaks at 17 and 20. Getting the 2nd attack and opening up 3rd level spells is a big deal.

Fildrigar

Explorer
My intention is to write up a bunch of ideas I have for enhancing the adventure and integrating a post-Phandelver party into it. Post-release.

Dire Bare

Legend
Yep. That's what always comes next. Prove it. Thanks, buddy.

Ignore the haters man, your review is welcome. These folks complain about EVERYTHING, even other people's product reviews. There's a reason why the guy you're responding to is on my ignore list, although he's so good at getting responses I feel like I'm reading all his posts anyway.

Mercule

Adventurer
Oh. One more question....

Does it have a specific placement in Eberron? I placed Phandelver in Aundair and am curious how much that first step is going to hurt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads