[Updated] Chris Sims & Jennifer Clarke Wilkes Let Go From WotC

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

The details are unclear, but D&D editor Chris Sims has reported that he is now in need of a job, and is willing to relocate. He was hired by WotC in 2005 after working for them as a freelance editor. Part of the D&D 5E launch, he was one of the editors for the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and was responsible for stat block development in the Monster Manual. The reasons have not been revealed, nor is it clear whether he left or was laid off.

Whether this is an isolated thing or part of more layoffs if unclear right now. More if I hear anything! In the meantime, if you can hire an excellent writer and editor, please do!

For more on ex-WotC employees, please check my list here!

UPDATE: Jennifer Clarke Wilkes is also in the same boat. She has worked on both D&D as an editor and on Magic: the Gathering, and has been working for WotC for many years.

UPDATE 2: Chris Sims confirms here that he and Jennifer were both laid off.

delericho

Legend
I wasn't talking about the three core books, primarily. I'm talking about the subsequent releases--these were very much in need of further developmental editing, and were almost certainly pilot runs of what is to come. Yes, these editing problems were probably for reasons beyond the individuals' control.

The credits for editing for HotDQ and RoT are listed under Kobold Press, not Wizards. So it appears that that wasn't done in-house.

Of course, if that is the way of things going forward - that future products will be handled by licensees, including editing - then WotC don't need in-house editors and can eliminate the positions.

Odd that...

aramis erak

Legend
The credits for editing for HotDQ and RoT are listed under Kobold Press, not Wizards. So it appears that that wasn't done in-house.

Of course, if that is the way of things going forward - that future products will be handled by licensees, including editing - then WotC don't need in-house editors and can eliminate the positions.

Odd that...
The editing quality on HotDQ are a couple notches below industry standard.

WotC needs an editor... and needs that editor to oversee the licensees.

Kenomi

First Post
They killed a strong fan base when they droped RPGA greyhawk. They killed a strong Fan base when they released 4e and started the edition wars. They killed 5e because they are not able to bring digital stuff like pdf or character Generator. They give us no open gaming licence. This is unbelievable because the worse Adventures came from 3rd Party publishers. They Developed a superior format and layout for adventures at the end of 3.5 (Web of the spider Queen). If i Look at horde of the dragon Queen its awfull against the Layout and encounter presentation of spider Queen. In my Opinion they made a good new Edition, but everything other than this they Do a totaly Word way.
Sorry for the english, its not my native Language.

aramis erak

Legend
They killed a strong fan base when they droped RPGA greyhawk. They killed a strong Fan base when they released 4e and started the edition wars. They killed 5e because they are not able to bring digital stuff like pdf or character Generator. They give us no open gaming licence. This is unbelievable because the worse Adventures came from 3rd Party publishers. They Developed a superior format and layout for adventures at the end of 3.5 (Web of the spider Queen). If i Look at horde of the dragon Queen its awfull against the Layout and encounter presentation of spider Queen. In my Opinion they made a good new Edition, but everything other than this they Do a totaly Word way.
Sorry for the english, its not my native Language.

The edition wars started back in about 1983 when Mentzer Basic replaced Moldvay. They actually got heated in about 1987 with AD&D 2E coming out. The BBS scene was rife with contentiousness. Later, with the rise of WWIVnet, AD&D 2E vs Mentzer D&D vs AD&D 1E was quite the raging flamebait. It only got worse in the mid 90's with the release of the Player's Option books and the Internet. And then the massive explosion when 3E came out and didn't look much like AD&D at all.

;) What rock were you hiding under during those eras? ;)

ren1999

First Post
It is one thing to fire someone because they failed to do what they were paid to do. It is another thing to fire someone just because you want to maximize your personal profits from all the hard work they did on what you are selling. This kind of cutthroat streamlining of business is why the world economy is failing and why people boycott. In summary, gaming companies need to stop letting people go. I don't know the details of this story so I am just speaking generally. I've seen this routine time and time again. There are so many things that need done by this particular gaming company I am complaining about. How about online tools. How about detailed spreadsheets of the gaming system, the class features, the spells. How about doing officially what all the fans of this game are already doing for free? DO BETTER!

Remove ads

Remove ads