[UPDATED] Dragon+: An Official D&D iOS App

Dragon Magazine on iOS apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

Dragon Magazine on iOS

apparently some folks are finding this in the iOS news stand app...I'm still investigating so in the meantime...I'm just going to put this here

View attachment 68157

Mercurius

Legend
While I'm glad this is out, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION] has a point. From a cursory scan through the product it reminds me a bit of the "WotC Presents" and the "Dungeon Survival Guide" that came out betwen 3.5 and 4E - more of a product about products than an actual product of content.

But here's the other thing: maybe this is fine. D&D really needs a "town crier," a kind of central location for the community to get news and little tid-bits to encourage interest. Maybe Dragon+ can be that. I personally am not thrilled about what I've seen so far - it does seem like more of an advertisement and doesn't have the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that the print mag had, but it is something.

But here's the best thing of all: That it is, and that we didn't know about it until it was available to us. That implies that there are more surprises in store, or at least their could be. And that feeling of "could be" is a spark of magic all on its own.

Mercule

Adventurer
While I'm glad this is out, [MENTION=55961]goldomark[/MENTION] has a point. From a cursory scan through the product it reminds me a bit of the "WotC Presents" and the "Dungeon Survival Guide" that came out betwen 3.5 and 4E - more of a product about products than an actual product of content.
I'm cutting them some slick on the introductory issue, especially since it pretty much doubles as the announcement of the thing. Ditto with the fact that what little is present is Realms-specific, which doesn't interest me one whit.

I've been beating the "Give me Dragon Magazine" drum from 5E launch, so I'm mostly just happy they've given us this. Is it exactly what I want? Nope, but that's probably not realistic given that I'm sure I mentally picked the top score of old-school articles to remember as the glory of Dragon Magazine from "back in my day".

Mercule

Adventurer
Anyway I have owned/own all three devices and I am very happy with the performance of my windows phone. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over it here.
Agreed. Since iOS 8 opened up a lot of things, it's something of a toss-up (for me) between iPhone and Windows Phone. If WP had the app selection that iPhone does, it wouldn't be a contest. Here's to hoping developers make use of the toy MS announced this week for Android apps.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

But here's the other thing: maybe this is fine. D&D really needs a "town crier," a kind of central location for the community to get news and little tid-bits to encourage interest. Maybe Dragon+ can be that. I personally am not thrilled about what I've seen so far - it does seem like more of an advertisement and doesn't have the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that the print mag had, but it is something.

Yeah, I think this is close to my feeling.

Yep, it's advertainment (by the looks of it). But advertainment is only really a problem when they get the ratios wrong. If it is fun and it is useful and it is interesting and it is free and I am also being sold the newest storylines and products...well, that's all right with me. I mean, I am the target audience for their new storylines and products. They are of interest to me!

Just gotta ask yourself: are you not advertained?! If you are advertained, keep on keepin' on. If you are not, just stop reading it. No harm, no foul. :)

DaveDash

Explorer
Agreed. Since iOS 8 opened up a lot of things, it's something of a toss-up (for me) between iPhone and Windows Phone. If WP had the app selection that iPhone does, it wouldn't be a contest. Here's to hoping developers make use of the toy MS announced this week for Android apps.

Yeah. I'm not much of an app user, but I still hope publishers take note that the new compiling features for Android and iOS on Windows 10 targets ALL Windows 10 devices, and there should be a decent number of those over the next couple of years.

That means that this app with minimal effort on WoTC's behalf (in theory) could target not only Windows Phone 10, but all the Windows 10 PC's and tablets as well.

I've been running the Windows 10 Technical Preview for a while now, and these apps (Universal Apps) also aren't jarring like the current Windows 8 Modern applications, and it truly is the same application across all devices.

A little off-topic, but the really interesting part of these Universal Apps is you can also turn your website into a Windows 10 app, and gain all the benefits of the store APIs, such as purchasing through carrier billing, and push notifications for your web site. WoTC, take note please! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
To answer a question above, no, it is not like 4e,or any other version, of dragon magazine so far. No complaints, it just isn't really more than advertising, which I agree they need. I would pay for content. This is what I expect for free.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
So, is this right? Under the new model, if I do not own a mobile phone, I am unable to access the beloved Dragon Magazine that have I supported for many years? That sucks. I can understand if there is no print version (but would prefer tone to read), but I sure hope there will be some sort of internet version anyone can access.

delericho

Legend
So, is this right? Under the new model, if I do not own a mobile phone, I am unable to access the beloved Dragon Magazine that have I supported for many years?

I haven't ever done it, but Mistwell mentioned up-thread that it's possible to install Android apps on a PC. So, once they get the Android version out there, that should solve that one.

bragarfull

First Post
Like most will have to wait for Android version....mostly living "middle-aged" though...miss those days of opening the mailbox and finding that Dragon magazine waiting.

Remove ads

Remove ads