D&D 5E Updating Older Modules to D&D 5E

Lyxen

Great Old One
5e level 1e PCs are exceptionally vulnerable; I tried giving them a hp buffer which works ok, but now I think just starting at 2nd (for 'trained') or 3rd (for 'experienced') level characters is best.

Well, they are about as vulnerable as Lvl 1 PC of 3e, which is indeed way less than 4e, but still way more than AD&D characters... :)

It's true that, in a sense, with a 5e which is, if you play it as written, a bit of an "easy mode" with fairly simple rules, easy healing and characters which are not that fragile, 1st level stands out a bit with clearly deadlier situations. For me, it's not a problem, and having characters die at such an early stage is also memorable while not hitting your story too much if you are playing a long campaign.

I'm also loath to reduce the playing range of the game, I think it's really good that it encompasses such a variety of styles but after that it's also perfectly OK to like some styles more than others.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I definitely 5e giant rats, kobolds, goblins are far deadlier to 1st level PCs than the 1e versions were.
It's a fair point. 5e characters are way more powerful than 1e characters in particular in term of powers, although stats and hit points count as well, but it's true that kobolds and Giant Rats in particular are very dangerous because of pack tactics.

Reynard

Legend
You can keep the listed number of enemies & just raise the adventure level. OTOH some "300 orcs" 1e encounters just work better as "30 orcs" 5e encounters anyway.
I don't know, that 300 orcs encounter wasn't meant to be an automatic fight in 1e anyway. Keep it 300. Make the PCs figure it out without immediately resorting to combat.

Merifluous

Explorer
I just finished a conversion of return to white plume mountain to publish on the DM's Guild, and have also been converting a bunch of old planescape adventures for my current game too. I really second taking existing monsters and just feature swapping them - I do it all via homebrew in dndbeyond and it makes it pretty easy to run too (assuming you have access to a lot of content on dndbeyond). I spent a lot of time on the boss monsters, but it still mostly amounted to taking an existing monster (say an efreet), slapping a spell list from archmage on it, and tweaking that list. Then I added effects from the special weapon they were using, plus stole legendary actions from other creatures. It was some work, but it worked as well as I could have hoped - but its only worth putting that effort in for the encounters you really want to stand out. The other thing I would also agree with is dont worry TOO much about encounter balance after level three - I tend to just pay fast and loose as I run it and add/remove monsters in play. I try to err on the side of easy since its a lot easier to add monsters than take them away. And you always have to be careful at first level, characters are very squishy. The Monster Manual Expanded books on DMs guild are also awesome for giving you buffed up version of existing monsters, which is super useful in conversions. Lastly, I just use DC x + party level for DCs, where X is 6 (easy) 8 (medium) 10 (hard) 12 (very hard). I find it works well enough as a short hand that its not worth putting deeper thought into it. There is just a ton of base content in the game now that is easily plug and play or reskinnable so that converting adventures is pretty easy and actually fairly enjoyable in my opinion.

Remove ads