• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upgradeable Powers - Useful outside Themes?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
So... Dark Sun Themes have a selection of powers that have upgraded versions summarised as rather concise entry, allowing players to keep the theme-powers until the end.

Does anybody else wish they would have done that for all powers in 4e? Especially with the opportunity that Essentials gave them to introduce a new format?

Cheers, LT.

Larrin

Entropic Good
yes, I've often felt this would be a great thing. I've often run into first level powers that have very desirable effects, but at high levels the low damage feels sad :(

WhatGravitas

Explorer
yes, I've often felt this would be a great thing. I've often run into first level powers that have very desirable effects, but at high levels the low damage feels sad :(
Not to mention that it gives characters the possibility to have "iconic" powers they keep throughout their career and I think it would have even freed up a bit of space in the books (since some powers are just "upscaled" versions of lower level powers, like Stinking Cloud -> Cloudkill or Come and Get It -> Warrior's Urging ).

Cheers, LT.

the Jester

Legend
Once you're swapping powers anyway, there are sometimes/often potential powers that are upgraded versions of lower level ones. I do think this is a cool idea; I'm eager to see the DS book and the way themes work.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Definitely. A 2W or 3W Come and Get It would be great.

But more seriously, that would make a fine house rule or way to upgrade powers. A lot of options for a very simple rule. Good idea.

Definitely. A 2W or 3W Come and Get It would be great.

But more seriously, that would make a fine house rule or way to upgrade powers. A lot of options for a very simple rule. Good idea.

how about:

Fighter Attack 23Warrior's Urging
You call your opponents toward you and strike out with lashing blows.

Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Close burst 4

Target: Each enemy in burst you can see

Effect: You pull each target 3 squares to a space adjacent to you. You cannot pull a target that cannot end adjacent to you. You then make a close attack targeting each adjacent enemy.

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Oh dear, can you imagine the griping such a system would cause?

"Pfft, 4e only has five powers per class, they're all just boring powered-up versions as you level, they couldn't even be bothered to think up new stuff!"

So on that level, I like that they didn't go that route to begin with and instead are offering it as a new option now. I also think that although it could stream-line classes, it could also potentially make them somewhat one-dimensional. Having a set of powers that represent an iconic 'theme', however, provides a nice flavour boost whilst maintaining a metric butt-load of options every combat.

fba827

Adventurer
Once you're swapping powers anyway, there are sometimes/often potential powers that are upgraded versions of lower level ones.

Yeah, a few times I've seen level 13 (or higher) encounter powers that are upgraded versions of level 1 or 3 (or such) encounter powers, though with a different name. So there is some of that already in there, just not called out specifically as being the same-yet-upgraded power.

Dice4Hire

First Post
how about:

Fighter Attack 23Warrior's Urging
You call your opponents toward you and strike out with lashing blows.

Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Close burst 4

Target: Each enemy in burst you can see

Effect: You pull each target 3 squares to a space adjacent to you. You cannot pull a target that cannot end adjacent to you. You then make a close attack targeting each adjacent enemy.

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

No need to make changes. Just call it level 17 and make it 2W. A lot simpler.

Remove ads