Upgradeable Powers - Useful outside Themes?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
So... Dark Sun Themes have a selection of powers that have upgraded versions summarised as rather concise entry, allowing players to keep the theme-powers until the end.

Does anybody else wish they would have done that for all powers in 4e? Especially with the opportunity that Essentials gave them to introduce a new format?

Cheers, LT.

Larrin

Entropic Good
yes, I've often felt this would be a great thing. I've often run into first level powers that have very desirable effects, but at high levels the low damage feels sad :(

WhatGravitas

Explorer
yes, I've often felt this would be a great thing. I've often run into first level powers that have very desirable effects, but at high levels the low damage feels sad :(
Not to mention that it gives characters the possibility to have "iconic" powers they keep throughout their career and I think it would have even freed up a bit of space in the books (since some powers are just "upscaled" versions of lower level powers, like Stinking Cloud -> Cloudkill or Come and Get It -> Warrior's Urging ).

Cheers, LT.

the Jester

Legend
Once you're swapping powers anyway, there are sometimes/often potential powers that are upgraded versions of lower level ones. I do think this is a cool idea; I'm eager to see the DS book and the way themes work.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Definitely. A 2W or 3W Come and Get It would be great.

But more seriously, that would make a fine house rule or way to upgrade powers. A lot of options for a very simple rule. Good idea.

Definitely. A 2W or 3W Come and Get It would be great.

But more seriously, that would make a fine house rule or way to upgrade powers. A lot of options for a very simple rule. Good idea.

how about:

Fighter Attack 23Warrior's Urging
You call your opponents toward you and strike out with lashing blows.

Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Close burst 4

Target: Each enemy in burst you can see

Effect: You pull each target 3 squares to a space adjacent to you. You cannot pull a target that cannot end adjacent to you. You then make a close attack targeting each adjacent enemy.

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Oh dear, can you imagine the griping such a system would cause?

"Pfft, 4e only has five powers per class, they're all just boring powered-up versions as you level, they couldn't even be bothered to think up new stuff!"

So on that level, I like that they didn't go that route to begin with and instead are offering it as a new option now. I also think that although it could stream-line classes, it could also potentially make them somewhat one-dimensional. Having a set of powers that represent an iconic 'theme', however, provides a nice flavour boost whilst maintaining a metric butt-load of options every combat.

fba827

Adventurer
Once you're swapping powers anyway, there are sometimes/often potential powers that are upgraded versions of lower level ones.

Yeah, a few times I've seen level 13 (or higher) encounter powers that are upgraded versions of level 1 or 3 (or such) encounter powers, though with a different name. So there is some of that already in there, just not called out specifically as being the same-yet-upgraded power.

Dice4Hire

First Post
how about:

Fighter Attack 23Warrior's Urging
You call your opponents toward you and strike out with lashing blows.

Encounter Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Close burst 4

Target: Each enemy in burst you can see

Effect: You pull each target 3 squares to a space adjacent to you. You cannot pull a target that cannot end adjacent to you. You then make a close attack targeting each adjacent enemy.

Attack: Strength vs. AC

Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

No need to make changes. Just call it level 17 and make it 2W. A lot simpler.

Remove ads