Upper_Krust: Fix This

WarDragon

First Post
Please, for the love of God, make up your mind on the Body/Mind/Spirit/Soul line of abilities! Ascension still doesn't have them all listed correctly as to which use the stat mod and which use divine rank.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Science Portfolio

Aversion to Magic is listed twice... ...am I to assume this is accurate, or did you mean Aversion to Magic (Beneficial) for the first one as a weakness and Aversion to Magic (Detrimental) for the second one as a strength? Until you specify otherwise, Im going to assume this is the case since it make a lot more sense than it does as currently stated.
Also, how could any deity of science ever have spell-like abilities if they can even use magic when they become old ones? Wouldn't this nullify their abilities...or do their own abilities function normally, ignoring such restrictions? Also...what if a deity has double science portfolios and a third or fourth portfolio? Would their non-science portfolios be nullified...and if so...how is this not contradictory. While I love the Science Portfolio...it is in dire need of clarification...not to mention some rulings that prevent the science portfolio from interfering with the deity's own abilities. As it stands I take the logical approach and rule that it does not interfere with your own abilities. Otherwise we have a lot of deities with a lot of mechanical balance issues.

This means I use the following rulings.

1. Aversion to Magic (Beneficial, others only (i.e. any source other than the deity or the deity's personal artifacts and magic items.)) - This would be the portfolio weakness.

2. Aversion to Magic (Detrimental, others only (i.e. any source other than the deity or the deity's personal artifacts and magic items.)) - This would be the portfolio strength.

This allows for other portfolios to be taken and prevents all problems with balancing and mechanical issues. Especially so since you have spell-like abilities for all deities, including science deities.

You could also alter your science portfolio so it grants psi-like abilities rather than spell-like abilities (of course using psi-like abilities base on psionic powers). This would be an excellent idea since you already have opted to designate psionics and magic as being different forces by declaring science to be the opposite of magic and science has been tied in with psionics.

This could conceivably make more sense if you use Telepathy (the most fundamental of all psionic disciplines). You could also split the science portfolio into the 6 psionic disciplines and add a section on psionic deities (little notes on modifying the templates for them (or adding a psionic deity template to the base templates)...such as granting psionic powers, possessing spell resistance, ect.). The science portfolio is incredibly problematic and almost needs it's own couple of pages since is so wildly different from all other portfolios. You basically opened a huge can of worms by entering Science in an almost strictly magical set of rules. These would all be little things really and could be fit on one or two pages, which would be very inconsequential in the saving space for other cool stuff game. Which reminds me...when is the next update?

I know there are only a few fans of psionics out there, but there are a probably more than any of us realize. Just use the SRD for reference if you think you might follow any of these avenues. It has all the rules for psionics.

If you go the discipline route...the creator of the deity could choose one discipline (psi-like abilities) for single portfolio or two disciplines (psi-like abilities) for two portfolios. I would also suggest an additional weakness since going this route would make the portfolio slightly more powerful.

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Just an idea...

Science
Aspects: Artifice, Invention, Psionics, Technology
Opposed Portfolio: Magic
Examples: Tvashtri (Indian)
Favored Animal: Frog
Favored Class: Psion
Favored Place: Laboratory
Favored Sacrifice: New inventions
Favored Time: First day of Summer (Beltane)
Favored Weapon: Crossbow, Pistol, weapon with mechanical parts.
Portfolio Trial: You must invent something that changes society.
Prerequisites: Any neutral alignment
Symbol: Wheel or Circle
Typical Quote: "Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination."

SCIENCE DISCIPLINES
Clairsentience:
Metacreativity:
Psychokinesis:
Psychometabolism:
Psychoportation:
Telepathy:

DOMINION
Layer (Elder One): You create a layer akin to a vast laborartory or the inner circuits of a computer, populated by your experiments...and failed experiments.
Plane (Old One): Your layer, dominates the plane to which it is abridged.
Dimension (First One): Your plane fills the entire dimension.

Science Template (Single Portfolio)
Appearance:
Demeanor: These immortals are inquistive and always tinkering with some idea or conraption.
Disciplines: The deity has access to 1 psionic discipline.

Science Template (Double Portfolio)
Appearance: Same as the single portfolio except the immortal’s manifestation is even more
Demeanor: The immortal is more often than not preoccupied with some equation or interpreting situations as equations to better formulate a strategy.
Disciplines: The deity has access to 2 psionic disciplines.

TABLE 3-64: (SINGLE) SCIENCE PORTFOLIO

Divine Status Ability/Weakness Gained Benefit/Penalty Action

Disciple Spell-like Abilities Use any discipline power as psi-like ability Standard

Aversion to Magic (Beneficial only, others magic only): Magic spells only 50% effective upon you Always Active

Fly's Endurance Competence penalty to constitution equal to your divine rank Always Active

Prophet Aversion to Magic (Detrimental only, others magic only): Magic spells only 50% effective upon you Always Active

Hero-deity Appliance of Science Competence bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class Always Active equal to your divine rank against spellcasting opponents

Quasi-deity Improved Summoning (Psionic) Psionic beings summoned by you have 50% more HD Always Active

Demi-deity Divine Energy Energy based effects (e.g. fire) you cause are 50% divine damage Always Active

Lesser Deity Superior Electricity [Effect] Assault your enemies with electricity based attacks Variable

Intermediate Deity Uncanny Electricity Mastery Assault your enemies with electricity based attacks Variable

Greater Deity Fast Healing Gain fast healing equal to 1/2 your HD Always Active

Elder One Enlightened You know all psionic talents Always Active

Cosmic Imperfection (Magic) One artifact in the universe can defeat your cosmic string ability Always Active

Old One Magic Pariah Magic ceases to function in your divine realm Always Active

TABLE 3-65: DOUBLE SCIENCE PORTFOLIO

Divine Status Ability/Weakness Gained Benefit/Penalty Action

Disciple Psi-like Abilities Use two discipline powers as psi-like abilities each round Standard + Swift

Greater Aversion to Magic (Beneficial only, others magic only): Magic spells only 25% effective upon you Always Active

Fly's Endurance Competence penalty to constitution equal to double your divine rank Always Active

Prophet Greater Aversion to Magic (Detrimental only, others magic only): Magic spells only 25% effective upon you Always Active

Hero-deity Greater Appliance of Science Competence bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class Always Active equal to double your divine rank against spellcasting opponents

Quasi-deity Perfect Summoning (Psionic) Psionic beings summoned by you have 200% more HD Always Active

Demi-deity Divine Energy Energy based effects (e.g. fire) you cause are 100% divine damage Always Active

Lesser Deity Superior Elec. [Effect] (x2 HD) Assault your enemies with electricity based attacks Variable

Intermediate Deity Uncanny Elec. Mastery (x2 HD) Assault your enemies with electricity based attacks Variable

Greater Deity Improved Fast Healing Gain fast healing equal to your HD Always Active

Elder One Empowered You can use any number of psionic powers per day Always Active

Cosmic Imperfection (Magic) Two artifacts in the universe can defeat your cosmic string ability Always Active

Old One Legendary Intelligence Your intelligence score is doubled n/a

First One Sophism Ignore magic by making a Will save (DC = spell penetration roll) Always Active

Admittedly it's very rough...but it could very easily work.

I know you dont like doing much with psionics, but...it is kinda out there waiting for an explosion of questions.

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Secrets Portfolio has "Scion of Secrets" (the ability for a Hero-Deity) as a weakness reading "Competence penalty to AC equal to your divine rank." Surely that's not intentional? This was posted in another thread, but one of the players in my original Epic game recently underwent apotheosis and became a deity of Secrets, so this has come up directly in my game now. And I don't think it was ever crossposted here, so I'll do it myself. :)

Also, reading through the Divine Abilities section, I saw that Cozen has "Pick Pockets 40 ranks" listed as a prerequisite. Since Pick Pockets no longer exists as a skill in 3.5 (it's now Sleight of Hand), that would be a rather difficult requisite to meet for any 3.5E character.

My players, for obvious reasons, have been given the list of Divine abilities and that section of Chapter 4; as we find more errors (assuming we do find more) I'll post them here.

paradox42

First Post
Found some. Both Superior Power Attack and Unearthly Power Attack require something called "Improved Power Attack" as a prerequisite, yet there is no Improved Power Attack listed in the Epic feats. What is this ability and what does it do? Where is it located?

paradox42

First Post
WarDragon said:
It's in there, it's just written where it would be if it were "Greater Power Attack."
Ah. :) So the real error is that the prerequisite lines should be reading "Greater Power Attack" instead of "Improved Power Attack." Got it. Anyway, it's an error that needs fixing. Thanks for the tip!

Remove ads