Upset about another edition!

Oni

First Post
Play with the books you have, or don't. That's your choice not WotC's, either way the content in them isn't going to magically vanish or be invalidated if another edition comes out. I'm guessing it'll be around a year and half, give or take a couple months, before 5e lands, if you divide the amount of money you've spent by the days remaining before that deadline (not that you have to stop playing 4e at that time for any reason) your money to hour of enjoyment ratio should be quite outstanding, provided you actually enjoy yourself instead of choosing to focus on the negative.

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

I realize 4th edition has been out for about 5 years, but i just recently got into 4th edition and spent over $200 on all the books needed for 4th edition. Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get. If wizards thinks I am going to shell out another $200 for new books, they have another thing coming!
I would like to get everyones opinion on this?

Sounds like you should Occupy something.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Do you object to Madden having a new version each year? Or that your favorite athletic shoe is redesigned and rereleased every year? Does is bother you that LotR and Star Wars get a new DVD release every couple of years?

Not that yes isn't a valid answer.

It's just business; simple supply and demand. You can certainly choose not to buy products if you don't want them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get.

They'll be coming out with a new set of books, yes.

But we don't all, "have to get them". If your group likes 4e, you can just keep playing 4e.

It's important to Hasbro that D&D be the biggest brand in tabletop RPGs.

I think that's a bit of a supposition - do you have a quote from someone who should be in the know indicating this?

Historically, D&D doesn't generally even merit specific mention in Hasbro's financial reports to shareholders. From what we've been told, collectible card games bring in far more money than D&D. So, while Hasbro cares about how WotC does, as a general division, there's reason to think they don't care much about the performance of D&D, specifically.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
What they said. Having fun with 4e? Don't change. Not having fun, or want to try the new game? Sit in on someone else's game without buying any books.

I game because I've never found anything even remotely close that gives me this much fun, with people I love, for so little money. If my gaming group all went to the movies together (cue horrible flashbacks to the D&D movie), it would cost us over $80 for two hours of enjoyment. RPGs are money well spent.

Pilgrim

First Post
As a few others have already stated, just because WotC is working on a new edition, doesn't mean you have to buy into it. If you have 4E and enjoy it, then by all means keep playing it.

Not to mention, that D&DN is at least another year away, so that's a full year for you to enjoy the books and material you've purchased before even considering whether or not to make the switch.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I do understand where the OP is coming from in a way.

It's about relevancy. I move around constantly with the military so new groups are always forming. Normally with the current edition. So when the masses move forward, so do I.

Yes, I could use my BECMI, my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books, because no one will ever take them away from me.

But as time passes I feel distanced from the "current" phase of players. I begin to not understand the terms, or I miss the new concepts that I can incorporate into my game.

I don't want to be an island, or a backwater, slowly growing stagnant or out of touch.

Now, having said all that, "IF" I had a stable group instead of six or seven groups over the last 26 years, it would be a lot easier to stay with and play whatever version we liked forever.

I am retiring, I am done with the military so maybe that option will be open to me soon.

But I will always be interested in staying relevant.

Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get.
THERE ARE NO GAMING POLICE. Buy what you want... or don't. That's your CHOICE. Play what you want, or else just watch TV.

Welcome to the club. I wasted a lot of money on 3e books before they killed that run.
The money is only wasted if you have gained no enjoyment out of the things you bought and/or if you throw them away or cease to use them for no good reason. No version of D&D has an expiration date.

Remove ads