• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using a Finesse Weapon with STR and DEX

Kilgore Trout

First Post
Hiya -

I am building a Stout Halfling Barbarian. So far, stats look like: 14 16 16 8 12 8

Envisioning him with a Shield, so he needs a 1-Handed Weapon.

Wondering if the rules would support using DEX for the Rapier outside of raging and when raging, switch to STR modifiers so as to gain that bonus.

A bit cheesy, maybe, although I think the rules support it:

Finesse: When making an attack with a finesse weapon, you use your choice of your STR or DEX modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.

After using the Level 4 ASI to put +2 into STR, I'd probably move to another weapon, but was thinking this might be a good way to get through those first 4 levels.

Thoughts?

Thx

KT

discosoc

First Post
You can use a finesse weapon with a dex bonus while not raging, and use strength as your bonus when you are raging. The finesse property doesn't require dex; it only allows it as an option.

I did a similar build for a while, although it was more dual-wield focused. Not the most powerful way of making a character, but it can be fun and still fairly effective.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Wondering if the rules would support using DEX for the Rapier outside of raging and when raging, switch to STR modifiers so as to gain that bonus.
It's absolutely legal, and fairly easy to skin if that's a concern. His fighting style just becomes less dodge-and-weave and more parry-and-smash.

You could picture his non-raging fighting style to be very Errol Flynn, but when he Rages he grabs that rapier and holds it like a down-thrust dagger, changing from parry-riposte-lunge-pierce to STAB STAB STABBITY STAB.

Kilgore Trout

First Post
Appreciate the input and glad I interpreted the rules correctly. I've been thinking of how to make the story work with the mechanics and you guys have given me some great ideas!

Everything that is permissible, is not necessarily what you want to do. Ignore the modifiers for a second. Just for now. And think-

On the one hand, it is certainly possible to imagine a dashing swordsman who prides himself on his agile swordsmanship, and yet, when the rage hits him, becomes an out-of-control HULK SMASH strength chopper. That would be interesting. I mean, leaving aside the whole "HULK SMASH" with a rapier.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like that's what you're advocating.

You asked for thoughts, and I'm giving them. This is a quirk in the rules that you see a lot of debates about on enworld (the whole rapier, dex, str, finesse stuff) - are you exploiting a quirk in the rules for no reason other than it might be a slightly better build for the time being? Or are you thinking through your character?* And, from that, what type of table do you play at?

Personally, I see this as being within the RAW, but I wouldn't do it myself unless I had strong RP reasons for it as well.

*I am not saying these two things are necessarily mutually exclusive.

What do you see as being exploited? What about that idea doesn't seem to gel as a character concept to you?

Kilgore Trout

First Post
You could picture his non-raging fighting style to be very Errol Flynn, but when he Rages he grabs that rapier and holds it like a down-thrust dagger, changing from parry-riposte-lunge-pierce to STAB STAB STABBITY STAB.
I like this a lot. His name is Jolly Fleetfoot so I think your inspiration is spot on.

Remove ads