D&D 5E Using a quarterstaff one handed?

False premise.
You don't need a dragon to determine a weapon's effective damage.

I get your point though... its a fantasy game. However it is a game with rules.

More Sly

First Post
I'm pretty new, but I took "versatile" to mean that you can't use it exclusively as a one-handed weapon like a short sword. I was actually expecting disadvantage if a characters off-hand was occupied - that's what I'd probably do.

This makes sense to me for certain cases, like a Warlock I'm building. They're still a bit martial, but need a free hand for components. The way I see it, a versatile weapon leaves a hand free for spell components without costing a minor action, but doesn't allow for something like a constantly occupied off-hand. So it's no trouble to handle with one hand for a moment, but still isn't a one-handed weapon.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Welcome to the forum! Have a LIKE! :)

I'm pretty new, but I took "versatile" to mean that you can't use it exclusively as a one-handed weapon like a short sword. I was actually expecting disadvantage if a characters off-hand was occupied - that's what I'd probably do.

This makes sense to me for certain cases, like a Warlock I'm building. They're still a bit martial, but need a free hand for components. The way I see it, a versatile weapon leaves a hand free for spell components without costing a minor action, but doesn't allow for something like a constantly occupied off-hand. So it's no trouble to handle with one hand for a moment, but still isn't a one-handed weapon.
But consider all the other versatile weapons, such as a longsword--which is meant to be one-handed. If their off-hand held a shield (typical), then they would have disadvantage on their attacks??? No, I wouldn't do that.

Versatile means the weapon is one-handed but can be used with two hands and does increased damage when so used:
1611838623344.png

You can rule it with disadvantage if you want to, but nothing in the rules support it. All you are doing is holding the weapon with two hands (preventing a shield, light source, etc.) for a bit more damage.

Remove ads