D&D 5E Using a quarterstaff one handed?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
In 5e a quarterstaff is a versatile weapon.

I have no problem with this from a mechanics/balance perspective.

I just can't picture or see how this would work. How the heck do you attack with a quarterstaff one handed in any consistent/effective manner?

I'm not trying to be pedantic, and from a power perspective it's not just fine it's likely under-powered - Can anyone help me visualize how this would look?

Matthan

Explorer
Someone will have a great answer and be able to point towards a fencing manual of some kind from the Middle Ages that has pictures, but I always just pictured it like a blunt spear when one handed. You're poking people hard with it.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Someone will have a great answer and be able to point towards a fencing manual of some kind from the Middle Ages that has pictures, but I always just pictured it like a blunt spear when one handed. You're poking people hard with it.

Interesting, my first thought was it being used like a long-handled club rather than a blunt spear ...

Satyrn

First Post
I pictured it as someone not really trying to wield it as a weapon. Rather, they're just holding it as a walking staff and can use it to bop someone on the head if they happen to get too close.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I visualize it as a cross between the Escrima fighting style (which uses shorter weapons than a quarterstaff) and a bo staff fighting style.

The character "chokes up" on the staff and uses their body as a brace as they swing, gaining extra torque as it rotates around their torso. Or does something equally effective that I don't know how to visualize.

Staff fighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaUrqvOTpw (around the 30-40 second mark they does some moves that could be one handed strikes.)

Escrima fighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiBt3x8Ppw

If the character only uses the quarterstafff one handed (such as staff and shield), I'll pretend it's not actually a quarterstaff just a special Escrima stick (or long club) I have to call a quarterstaff to qualify for the Polearm Master feat. :p

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Thing is, the quarterstaff does the same damage as a spear. It's just weird to me that poking someone with a blunt stick (even if it is metal shod or some-such) does the same damage as poking them with a spear.

I pictured it as someone not really trying to wield it as a weapon. Rather, they're just holding it as a walking staff and can use it to bop someone on the head if they happen to get too close.

But again, it does the same damage as a spear, and more damage than a club. so you're doing more damage with an unwieldy overbalanced club?

Oofta

Legend
I envision the D&D quarterstaff as more of a short staff. Best image I could find is

download.jpg

So not the 6+ foot long quarterstaff, but something more along the line of a short walking stick. I think it's kind of silly myself, but not enough to make a house rule.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
IMO best way to picture using the staff one handed is via a houserule that says you can't ;)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I visualize it as a cross between the Escrima fighting style (which uses shorter weapons than a quarterstaff) and a bo staff fighting style.

The character "chokes up" on the staff and uses their body as a brace as they swing, gaining extra torque as it rotates around their torso. Or does something equally effective that I don't know how to visualize.

It's the "I don't know how to visualize" this that gets me.

I trained with escrima sticks for a good two years (way back in the day) and applying that to a quarterstaff/bo staff - ugg.

Staff fighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaUrqvOTpw

Escrima fighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiBt3x8Ppw

If the character only uses the quarterstafff one handed (such as staff and shield), I'll pretend it's not actually a quarterstaff just a special Escrima stick (or long club) I have to call a quarterstaff to qualify for the Polearm Master feat. :p

Ok that helps a bit. though: 1) she's not using it as a "simple" weapon and 2) she's really relying on both hands even when she's wielding it one handed.

I'll get over it - it's not even worth a house rule. just hoping there was something I was missing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases