D&D 5E Using a quarterstaff one handed?

John Brebeuf

First Post
Thing is, the quarterstaff does the same damage as a spear. It's just weird to me that poking someone with a blunt stick (even if it is metal shod or some-such) does the same damage as poking them with a spear.

But again, it does the same damage as a spear, and more damage than a club. so you're doing more damage with an unwieldy overbalanced club?

This is where the AD&D "to hit" adjustments vs. armor type made a lot of sense. While the staff did 1d6 against S/M creatures (same as a spear), it took a -7 penalty to hit vs. AC 2 (plate mail + shield), as opposed to the spear's -2 to hit vs. AC 2, so you rolled for damage a lot less often when using a staff.

If I were to house-rule it for 5e, I would make it 1d4 for one-handed and 1d6 for two-handed, but I doubt it's even worth it.

Oofta

Legend
Using Quarter staff + shield + polearm master imply weak DM.

So DMs everywhere should ban a perfectly legitimate by the book combination because you don't like it?

Don't like something? Man up and state your opinion, give alternatives on how you fix it. No need to insult people who play the rule as it is written.

aco175

Legend
This is my second Gandalf reference tonight. He seemed to do well one handed. Although I do not think it would do as much damage.

I don't like it one-handed myself, since it completely replaces the mace, and for some reason I hate the image of a cleric or druid with a staff and shield, with the sort of hatred most reserve for gnomes and paladins.

Remove ads