D&D 5E Using "D&D 2024" instead of "5e24"

5.24e seems more appropriate as it is most "5e with TCOE and XGTE variants and a few tweaks and rebalancing."

The biggest change is that every PC gets a very weak feat at level 1.
We don't even know if the MM or DMG are getting any real changes outside of clarity and reorganization.

Is it closer to D&D 3.5e to PF1? Because people called that 3.75e so would this too be a "quarter edition"?
Pretty much my reasoning as well.

I went back and read the OP to this thread. Ultimately I think saying D&D or 5e is a distinction without a difference, 5e is a D&D reference. If you want something to distinguish SRD based creators from the trademark holders, reference the engine and not the game. Maybe something like d20a/d games.

5.24e seems more appropriate as it is most "5e with TCOE and XGTE variants and a few tweaks and rebalancing."

The biggest change is that every PC gets a very weak feat at level 1.
We don't even know if the MM or DMG are getting any real changes outside of clarity and reorganization.

Is it closer to D&D 3.5e to PF1? Because people called that 3.75e so would this too be a "quarter edition"?
What happened to the 23 versions between 5.0 and 5.24?

mamba

Legend
OneDnD is, from the latest playtest direction, basically paid patch notes for 5e. It will supplant it as the lingua franca of TTRPGs, inevitably.

Tales of the Valiant and any other 3pp 5e-based games are only ever going to be that - 3rd party products. TotV will never replace D&D.
obviously, not sure anyone would expect any different

mamba

Legend
I went back and read the OP to this thread. Ultimately I think saying D&D or 5e is a distinction without a difference, 5e is a D&D reference.
there is a slight difference, D&D is the by far most popular 5e game, just not the only one.

@SlyFlourish wants people to make that distinction instead of thinking ‘all 5e is D&D’ and ignoring the existence of 3pps, which admittedly is an uphill battle when many people think ‘all TTRPGs are D&D’.

Given WotC’s behavior I certainly do not mind highlighting the fact that 3pps and other good TTRPGs exist, whether 5e compatible or not.

If you want something to distinguish SRD based creators from the trademark holders, reference the engine and not the game. Maybe something like d20a/d games.
d20 was the 3e compatible games, I guess 5e is used to differentiate from those

so according to your logic, 5.25 would be a newer version than 5.5… not sure I have ever seen them used that way. Whenever I encountered them, they worked just as well as decimals

The dot is a delimiter, not a decimal. So it would go 5.1, 5.2,... 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, etc. Lots of software has more than one dot, too. You'll see things like 8.10.19.6.

Check out this link of version history from Firefox to see an example: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

mamba

Legend
Lots of software has more than one dot, too. You'll see things like 8.10.19.6.
yes, if they have more. As I said I have not seen a case yet where they had one delimiter and it did not work as a decimal too. Might be coincidence, might be because whoever uses it is smart enough to avoid that confusion

Remove ads