D&D 5E Using social skills on other PCs

Voadam

Legend
The holiest of all rules texts - DMG page 237.
The book that is not to be read.

It does say only for meaningful consequences. Then it immediately says anytime there is not automatic failure or success a roll is appropriate.

This is the clarity of 5e rules.

Page 237

"Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure.
When deciding whether to use a roll, ask yourself two questions:
Is a task so easy and so free of conflict and stress that there should be no chance of failure? Is a task so inappropriate or impossible- such as hitting the moon with an arrow-that it can't work?
If the answer to both of these questions is no, some kind of roll is appropriate."

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The book that is not to be read.

It does say only for meaningful consequences. Then it immediately says anytime there is not automatic failure or success a roll is appropriate.

This is the clarity of 5e rules.

Page 237

"Only call for a roll if there is a meaningful consequence for failure.
When deciding whether to use a roll, ask yourself two questions:
Is a task so easy and so free of conflict and stress that there should be no chance of failure? Is a task so inappropriate or impossible- such as hitting the moon with an arrow-that it can't work?
If the answer to both of these questions is no, some kind of roll is appropriate."
People don't read it because it contains Truth and experienced DMs especially cannot abide that. It might reveal that stuff they do from D&D 3.5e doesn't really work all that well in D&D 5e.

Combined with the rules in the PHB, an ability check is appropriate if there's an uncertain outcome (not impossible and not trivially easy) and there's a meaningful consequence for failure.

Hence my standard mantra.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There's a world of difference between an NPC and a PC. I addressed this upthread. The DM plays a multitude of NPCs and monsters while the players only play 1 PC at a time (and perhaps for an entire campaign).
Which simply mean the DM has to hop in and out of character more often, is all. :)
Further, are player-side charm spells or hold-monster or other such spells that impact your "DM Agency" banned at your table?
Of course not, nor are NPCs banned from using them against PCs...and nor are PCs banned from using them against each other, should they so desire.

If, however, one of PCs or NPCs could use them against the other but the reverse was not true, I would have a problem with it.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Which simply mean the DM has to hop in and out of character more often, is all. :)

Of course not, nor are NPCs banned from using them against PCs...and nor are PCs banned from using them against each other, should they so desire.

If, however, one of PCs or NPCs could use them against the other but the reverse was not true, I would have a problem with it.
Your dislike of the asymmetry between PCs and NPCs, in various ways, has been well documented (and I haven’t even been around here very long) but that doesn’t change the fact that 5e is designed that way.

MGibster

Legend
Combined with the rules in the PHB, an ability check is appropriate if there's an uncertain outcome (not impossible and not trivially easy) and there's a meaningful consequence for failure.
I've endeavored to do my best to only require players to make rolls when, as you write, there's meaningful consequences for failure. A few games, Alien and Vampire 5th edition for example, go out of their way to tell the GM not to have players roll the dice for trivial actions. And like a dolt, sometimes I have them roll and ask myself, "Why?"

Voadam

Legend
People don't read it because it contains Truth and experienced DMs especially cannot abide that. It might reveal that stuff they do from D&D 3.5e doesn't really work all that well in D&D 5e.
You mean the 3.5 edition where the persuasion skill (diplomacy) explicitly only influenced NPCs?

Diplomacy (Cha)​

Check​

You can change the attitudes of others (nonplayer characters) with a successful Diplomacy check; see the Influencing NPC Attitudes sidebar, below, for basic DCs. In negotiations, participants roll opposed Diplomacy checks, and the winner gains the advantage. Opposed checks also resolve situations when two advocates or diplomats plead opposite cases in a hearing before a third party.

Influencing NPC Attitudes​

Use the table below to determine the effectiveness of Diplomacy checks (or Charisma checks) made to influence the attitude of a nonplayer character, or wild empathy checks made to influence the attitude of an animal or magical beast.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The request for specific text for ability checks is moot -- if your argument is that they're framed for use by PCs, then you've abandoned the reasoning for monsters to have social proficiencies -- those ability checks are not available if ability checks are framed for use only by PCs.
I haven’t abandoned anything. It is true that the text in the players’ handbook describing how skills are used is framed in terms of a PC being the one taking action. It is also true that the DM can make ability checks to resolve uncertainty in the outcome of an NPC’s action, and that the NPC’s proficiency bonus can apply to such an ability check if one of the NPC’s skills or other proficiencies is relevant. It is not true, in my evaluation, that the outcome of an action an NPC takes to try and socially influence a PC is uncertain.
Further, this absolutely doesn't dispense with PC use on another PC.
Indeed it doesn’t, but the outcome of such an action would not be uncertain either.
The argument that there's no uncertainty is pulling forward that initial assumption to the middle of the argument. It has to hold here as well for this to be true. However, the problem is that it's the GM's estimation of what's uncertain, not the players. So, here we're now saying that the GM is being constrained in their authority by this rule and that's pulling it clearly in front of multiple statements that the GM determines uncertainty without carve out for the single mention in the roleplaying section.
The DM certainly can decide that the outcome of an action made to socially influence a player character is uncertain, just as the DM can decide that the outcome of an action made to harm the player character physically is not uncertain. However, I do not see support in the rules for the DM doing either.
In other words, we're pulling a much more obscure reference (ie, I'm not going to look in the roleplaying section to find out how CHA checks works with regards to PCs if I don't recall or am learning the rules) to confront a rule oft stated in multiple places. This is pulling a single sentence from an unusual place (discussion how roleplaying works and describing what it is and not action adjudication) and giving it greater precedence over very clear rules text that doesn't carve anything out.
How Charisma checks work is the DM calls for them when the outcome of an action made to influence another character is uncertain. The player’s handbook expresses this to the player as, “A charisma check might arise when you try to influence or entertain others, when you try to make an impression or tell a convincing lie, or when you are navigating a tricky social situation.” Those are all examples of times a player could expect the DM to call for a Charisma check. They are not exhaustive, and they are not the only cases a Charisma check might be used, but they are sufficient to communicate to the player when they may be called upon to make such a check. They do not seem to support the idea that the DM ought to make such a check when an NPC takes an action meant to socially influence a player.
But, if we go with this, it still doesn't override the GM's authority to determine what's uncertain. The GM can very well impose such a check and just end up in the same place as we previously discussed with the player still determining to do whatever they want. These rules have no teeth to start, and you're layering another toothless version of them but insisting this one has a nasty bite! It doesn't really follow.
I don’t know what you’re going on about with rules having teeth or bites. None of the rules of D&D have teeth, the rules go out of their way to tell you to ignore them if you want to. And I’m not saying people shouldn’t do so. I’m saying, I don’t see support in the rules for the DM making an ability check when an NPC tries to socially influence a PC. Folks can (and regularly do) do things without the rules’ support, and that’s fine.
And, again, your closing is that you're claiming a better argument for your side, but that there is no wrong argument.
I think you are getting the wrong idea about what I’m saying. “My side” is that the rules don’t seem to instruct the DM to make an ability check to resolve an NPC’s attempt to socially influence a PC. If one were to argue that the rules don’t say the DM shouldn’t make an ability check to resolve an NPC’s attempt to socially influence a PC, I would have no objection. But people have been trying to argue that the rules do tell the DM to make an ability check to resolve an NPC’s attempt to socially influence a PC. And so far, I have not seen very convincing arguments in support of that position.
This is foundationally flawed logic. If no argument can be wrong, then there's little point to claiming a better argument.
What are you talking about? Of course arguments can be wrong.
I also find this construction to be badly framed -- while I agree that one should play as one finds fun, and how you play doesn't seem to harm me in any way, if we're discussing the rules of the game then there are actually wrong ways to play with relation to those rules. You can change those rules, but then we're not strictly talking about the same game anymore. So, if you're making an argument based on the rules, then you are explicitly stating that, with regard to the rules, there are wrong ways to play even as you can allow for those ways to not be wrong for the people playing them.
When the rules say “ignore these rules if you feel like it,” I see no point in arguing about what is or isn’t a “wrong way to play in relation to the rules.” The rules permit everything, no position that something isn’t allowed by the rules really holds up. I am instead taking a position on what the rules support. By the rules, you don’t have to follow the rules, but there are some things the rules will support you in doing, and some things you’re on your own with. I believe that the DM making ability checks to resolve actions made to socially influence PCs is the latter category of thing.
For example, if I ignore hitpoints and have everything die in the first hit, I am playing incorrectly according to the rules.
No, since the rules say you can ignore them, you are not playing incorrectly by the rules. You are, however, playing in a way the rules don’t support. You’re voiding the warranty, in a sense.
If my table has fun doing this, I should keep at it -- it's not wrong for me to do so in relation to the fun I'm having at the table.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

I just thought of a way that Cha skills could be symmetric, for use on PCs, that I would find....well, at least symmetric:

DM: "The Orc bares his teeth and snarls at you, while adopting a Hans und Frans bodybuilder pose."
Player: "Umm....could you state that as goal and approach?"
DM: "He's trying to intimidate you by looking fierce."
Player: "Ah, ok. I could see that working. I'm not sure. Gimme a Cha or Str (your choice) check, with Intimidation proficiency if he has it."
DM: "What's the DC?"
Player: "He's just an orc, so let's make it 18"
DM: "He rolls a 19"
Player: "Ok. I, uh, sheathe my sword, smile nervously and say, in Orcish, 'Is there an all-gender, all-race lineage bathroom around here?'"

File under "Goose and Gander"
I would have absolutely no objection to a player doing this. I mean, I still don’t think it’s what the rules say to do, but I think it’d be a great way to resolve social actions against PCs. It’s basically how I handle PvP so it makes sense to apply it to NPCs as well.

Charlaquin

It is only a contradiction if you place some fictional elements in a special category. You choose not to put a change of in-world position in that category, even though it is certainly one of the things a player could decide their character does or withholds from doing. And you choose to put involuntarily revealing a piece of information in that special category. Possibly you do that only in some cases, such as when it isn't dictated by a spell? I'm saying that nothing tells us that we must separate fictional elements that way.

Your argument rests on your already deciding that there is a special category. The "players decide" part is a red herring.
I’m not putting anything in a special category. Whether or not to do what someone else tells you to do is something a thinking being must decide. Whether or not to get pushed by someone is not something a thinking being must, or can, decide.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I just re-read the whole section on "Resolving Interactions". The word 'might', to describe how the mechanics are (or 'might be') applied, is used 15 times.

Again, there's no point arguing the definition of 'rules' but, come on.
There is no "might" for the categories at all. We have...

"Choose the starting attitude of a creature the adventurers are interacting with: friendly, indifferent, or hostile."

That's a definite statement. No ambiguity or "might" in there. You the DM pick one starting attitude. The following are the attituded.

"A friendly creature wants to..."
"An indifferent creature might..."
"A hostile creature opposes the..."

Note the lack of might with regard to the categories. One of them does use "might" with regard to what an indifferent creature might do, but there's no ambiguity or "might" with regard to the three categories themselves.

The word "might" is used in the changing the attitude section, because the section doesn't know the outcome of the conversation and any possible rolls. Those things are up to the DM and circumstances to figure out. There are rules for starting attitudes and how to change them, though. That much is clear.

Remove ads