V for Victory --- any comments?

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
I like it a lot. In following up on some of the background provided, I looked up some of the Polish history of WWII, of which I was only passingly familiar. Lots of good role play fodder I think. I am excited about running a scenario.

Blacksad

Explorer
Re: V for Victory

papakee said:
It's not written using the D20 Modern rules, but its own rule expansion. I didn't like that part and haven't "crunched" the numbers to see how well the weapon stats/feats/skills/classes would convert over to D20 Modern. I was disappointed we didn't get another D20 Modern expansion with this book, because I was really looking forward to it. Also, it seems there will be another Polyhedron devoted to it. I already had Weird Wars so I didn't need another "take" on the basic D20 ruleset.

Personaly, I'm glad that they choose to make it a D&D expansion, because I'm not interested in buying d20 Modern.

Now if only they could ship it in France to subscriber....

Katowice

Explorer
Re: Re: V for Victory

Yes, I liked that it uses D&D rules, since you can download the SRD and have it on your computer.

As to people in other countries not getting it the magazine, perhaps Paizo should PDF the old d20 mini-games after 6-12 months and make them available for download on their website. Just an idea. (Though I'm sure that undercuts their back issue sales somewhat).

By the way, there's a ton of d20 WWII material already produced by way of Pinnancle ("Deadlands") game called "Weird War II." There are books covering Europe, North Africa, Pacific, and soon Russia. Check it out on www.peginc.com. I e-mailed with a fellow in Poland a few months ago and he told me that he was able to get those books there.

Blacksad said:

Personaly, I'm glad that they choose to make it a D&D expansion, because I'm not interested in buying d20 Modern.

Now if only they could ship it in France to subscriber....

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
JPL said:
No, no...GURPS is an ally. They've been making sourcebooks for d20 Modern for years now. Steampunk, Cliffhangers, WWII...lots of great stuff.

Oh, and if you get a chance, a Polyhedron mini-game based on tournament martial arts [Bloodsport, Street Fighter, etc.] would go down real smooth, too.

GURPS does have some awesome books that can be adapted very easily to D20

As for the Polyhedron minigame suggestion, that would be so cool and I second the motion

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Okay, everyone out of the pool.

Look, just because you find a particular era in history or war (such as WWII) boring doesn't mean you should feel compelled to post so that we all know you think it's boring.

Just because someone finds something you think is fascinating boring doesn't mean you need to attack them and their work personally.

Now everyone back into the pool.

Albert_Fish

First Post
So many WWII games do we have by now? This V For Victory, Dog faces ( or are the same?) Gear Krieg, Godlike, Weird Wars, Any others? anyone planning on mixing the d20 and OGL games together?

aurin777

First Post
Yeah, you missed Gurps: WWII, and Shadowforce Archer has some good stuff about wwii in it, but that is set in the present. Don't forget Delta Green, either :) I've done some mixing of it all, taking what I like and leaving the rest, and I've seen a few others that have been doing the same. Katowice is the one that stands out to me and has been ever so helpful. V is for Victory, as well as Wierd Wars are both using the d20 system, which has a different balance than Modern, so it just takes some eyeballing and conversion over to whatever system you choose to use.
~~Brandon

Katowice

Explorer
Vehicles have much higher Hull ratings in Weird War II than in d20 Modern. A German Tiger tank has close to 100 HP and a damage reduction of 40 or 50 in Weird War II, compared to the M1A1 Abrams tank DR 20 and 64 HP in d20 Modern.

Also in WWII, certain weapons, particularly artillery and anti-tank weapons, have a Penetration Value (PV) which reduces the vehicle's DR before you determine damage.

aurin777 said:
V is for Victory, as well as Wierd Wars are both using the d20 system, which has a different balance than Modern, so it just takes some eyeballing and conversion over to whatever system you choose to use.
~~Brandon

Katowice

Explorer
What do you think is the best training to take if you want to create a medic or chaplain character. Combat Training doesn't appear to offer enough skill points, so Leadership or Intelligence might be best. Any ideas?

Also, I don't see it said explicitly anywhere, but since all the characters are humans, do they still get their extra skill points? The extra feat at first level is spelled out, but not the skill points.

Last edited:

Remove ads