V for Victory --- any comments?

aurin777

First Post
Katowice said:
Vehicles have much higher Hull ratings in Weird War II than in d20 Modern. A German Tiger tank has close to 100 HP and a damage reduction of 40 or 50 in Weird War II, compared to the M1A1 Abrams tank DR 20 and 64 HP in d20 Modern.

Also in WWII, certain weapons, particularly artillery and anti-tank weapons, have a Penetration Value (PV) which reduces the vehicle's DR before you determine damage.

Yeah, the vechiles are slightly skewed. Have you converted the Wierd Wars vehicles into d20 modern yet? If so do you mind sharing them with the rest of the boards, and save me a lot of trouble (as usual, me asking for someone to bail me out of the hard work and reap the benifits)?

Also, for a combat medic go with intellegence. I think it fits best with all of it. Even though I'm not running that system, I'd give them the extra on TOP of what was printed because they didn't mention it in the text. *shrugs* Tis what I think.
~~Brandon

Katowice

Explorer
I was working on a conversion system to bring the WWII to the scale of the d20 Modern vehicles. I haven't finished yet, the hang-up being that I think the M1A1 Abrams Tank is just way too wimpy compared to the other vehicles. When I get something to post, I'll be sure to post it here!

aurin777 said:

Yeah, the vechiles are slightly skewed. Have you converted the Wierd Wars vehicles into d20 modern yet? If so do you mind sharing them with the rest of the boards, and save me a lot of trouble (as usual, me asking for someone to bail me out of the hard work and reap the benifits)?

Also, for a combat medic go with intellegence. I think it fits best with all of it. Even though I'm not running that system, I'd give them the extra on TOP of what was printed because they didn't mention it in the text. *shrugs* Tis what I think.
~~Brandon

Katowice

Explorer
I agree...I never see the point of a post like that. It seems that some people just *must* post something.

BTW, I dig your sig, since I was going to run a WWII campaign called "Dogs of War" about the men of D ("Dog") Company.

Dinkeldog said:
Okay, everyone out of the pool.

Look, just because you find a particular era in history or war (such as WWII) boring doesn't mean you should feel compelled to post so that we all know you think it's boring.

Just because someone finds something you think is fascinating boring doesn't mean you need to attack them and their work personally.

Now everyone back into the pool.

Olive

Explorer
i got this yesterday, and it looks cool. i want to use it to make a one shot for a bunch of rag tag republican militia in the spanish civil war who have to blow up a bridge or something...

aurin777

First Post
Hey hey,
I picked up Dungeon mag #97 today. It is well written, good, good stuff. I had been trying to find it locally, and I ended up getting it at DunDraCon. (I get to game one time a year, and that's it.) The cover rules are good, but mostly I'm just stealing the command and logistics skills, as well as some of the feats, and incorporating them into my D20 Modern game. Also, I ran the first adventure for my WWII game today, and it went along wonderfully. Forgery with ranks in german go a long, long way.
~~Brandon

Katowice

Explorer
Don't know if you get DC Comics in Australia, but Garth Ennis (Hellblazer, Punisher, Hitman, Preacher) writes a mini-series called "War Story" that is pretty good. The last issue I got was called "Condors" and was about four men (an Irish Fascist, an English Communist, a German Luftwaffe Pilot and a Spanish Communist) stuck in a foxhole together during the Spanish Civil War.

Other issues have focused on the British LRDP (Long Range Desert Patrol), a German Tiger Tank crew escaping the Eastern Front, the 101st Airborne and a British bomber crew. Good ideas for one-shot adventures.

Olive said:
i got this yesterday, and it looks cool. i want to use it to make a one shot for a bunch of rag tag republican militia in the spanish civil war who have to blow up a bridge or something...

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Katowice said:
Don't know if you get DC Comics in Australia...

i don't know if there's an english speaking country on earth where you can't get DC comics, but thanks for the heads up. Is it silly like some of his stuff?

Katowice

Explorer
Olive said:
i don't know if there's an english speaking country on earth where you can't get DC comics, but thanks for the heads up.

Well, people can't seem to get Dragon Magazine outside the US for some reason!

Olive said:
Is it silly like some of his stuff?

It is definitely on the more serious side. There is a little humor, but I'd say all of the stories are serious and do not have a happy ending. It's a bleak telling of the war in the spirit of "Stalingrad," "Thin Red Line," and "When Trumpets Fade." The stories are also pretty gory, so it's part of DC's Vertigo line.

If you want silly, read his two "Adventures of the Rifle Brigade" series. That's another idea for a campaign: British Commandos. In the first series, the commandos parachute into Germany (I forget why), while in the second, they are searching for a unholy relic that is in fact Hitler's missing bollock. There's a clever send-up of Indiana Jones in that story.

On a side note, since you're Australian, why are Australian soldiers called "diggers"?

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Katowice said:
Well, people can't seem to get Dragon Magazine outside the US for some reason!

That's a Euro problem. We get it fine!!!

On a side note, since you're Australian, why are Australian soldiers called "diggers"?

Actually a New Zealander living in Australia, but I am doing my masters in history arounf WWI so I should know. But i don't. I'll find out and let you know...

JPL

Adventurer
Just in case anyone's interested...

Two very good GURPS sourcebooks are in playtest.

GURPS WWII: Dogfaces is chock full of info about the average foot soldier in WWII. Just the thing for a serious V4V campaign.

GURPS Weird War II doesn't have anything to do with the non-GURPS game of the same name [and I assume it's only the working title]. It concentrates on ideas for sci-fi, alt-history, fantasy, pulp, and superheroic WWII campaigns. Edited by Kenneth Hite, who is always worth reading.

Subscribers to SJGames' Pyramid e-magazine can get a free look at the playtest files right now.

Remove ads