V for Victory --- any comments?

JPL

Adventurer
So...the new Polyhedrons are starting to find their way into the hands of subscribers.

Anyone want to give the skinny on V for Victory?

Katowice

Explorer
I just got it. It's very limited in scope, as in your pretty much stuck playing infantry types, but it is pretty close to a "classless" system. You build your character by choosing a pre-war profession (similar to d20 Modern), selecting training (Combat, Intelligence, Leadership, Recon...kind of like the "class"), and then a specialty (Airborne, etc.). It's a very flexible character building system.

Personal weapons are provided for German, Brit, Soviet and American, including melee, pistols, SMGs, MGs, and grenades. Campaigns can pretty much take place anywhere, with any army. Reading some WWII books, particularly if you want weapon pictures, etc., is a must.

Missing right now are stats/rules for tanks and other vehicles, but you should be able to get these from the Pinnancle Weird War II books or approximate them based on d20 Modern. It's my understanding that playing tankers and the like will not be an option :(

Overall, it's very well put together and should overlap nicely with d20 Modern (though it says you need the D&D3E PHB). Aa very good effort that I recommend. (I'm at work, so excuse the brief write up).

papakee

First Post
V for Victory

It's not written using the D20 Modern rules, but its own rule expansion. I didn't like that part and haven't "crunched" the numbers to see how well the weapon stats/feats/skills/classes would convert over to D20 Modern. I was disappointed we didn't get another D20 Modern expansion with this book, because I was really looking forward to it. Also, it seems there will be another Polyhedron devoted to it. I already had Weird Wars so I didn't need another "take" on the basic D20 ruleset.

JPL

Adventurer
I've heard the flavor is gritty, Band of Brothers / Saving Private Ryan type stuff. How do the rules reflect this? Are HP kept low, or is it Vitality Points, or does the Massive Damage rule keep bullets dangerous?

What sort of campaign advice is given? Is this game set up for elite units [OSS or Rangers or whatever] or real rank-and-file down in the trenches average Joes?

I'm one of those guys who buys GURPS sourcebooks while having no desire to play GURPS...it would be nice to get some use out of that GURPS WWII book...

Katowice

Explorer
VFV uses Hit Points, Defense, and two styles: Hollywood and Gritty:

Gritty: Starting HP = HD at first level (10 for d10, etc.,); Massive Damage Threshold = 10.

Hollywood: Starting HP = Con at first level; Massive Damage Threshold = 20.

Campaign advice and rules on everything from partisans to airborne to rangers. No vehicle-related characters (tankers, pilots) now (or later, if I understand the text correctly). This is about Willie and Joe, Fritz, and Tommy, not Jimmy Doolittle.

JPL said:
I've heard the flavor is gritty, Band of Brothers / Saving Private Ryan type stuff. How do the rules reflect this? Are HP kept low, or is it Vitality Points, or does the Massive Damage rule keep bullets dangerous?

What sort of campaign advice is given? Is this game set up for elite units [OSS or Rangers or whatever] or real rank-and-file down in the trenches average Joes?

I'm one of those guys who buys GURPS sourcebooks while having no desire to play GURPS...it would be nice to get some use out of that GURPS WWII book...

Pramas

Explorer
Katowice said:
Personal weapons are provided for German, Brit, Soviet and American, including melee, pistols, SMGs, MGs, and grenades.

V for Victory includes a full spread of Japanese and Italian weapons too, as well as some notable guns from smaller nations (the Finnish Suomi SMG, for instance). I tried to make the game so you could do any theater at any point in the war.

Glad to hear people are digging it.

Aaron2

Explorer
I'm still cheesed that the name was changed because of some GURPS book. GURPS is the enemy and should be crushed whenever possible.

Aaron (fighting in the d20 army!)

JPL

Adventurer
No, no...GURPS is an ally. They've been making sourcebooks for d20 Modern for years now.

Steampunk, Cliffhangers, WWII...lots of great stuff.

I mean, they have a book coming out to cover FINLAND IN WWII. That's madness. But if you really want to run a Finnish campaign for V for Victory...why, here's the only sourcebook you'll ever need.

Chris, I'm looking forward to checking out your game.

Now go work on Dragonfist d20. I'm saving my pennies.

Oh, and if you get a chance, a Polyhedron mini-game based on tournament martial arts [Bloodsport, Street Fighter, etc.] would go down real smooth, too.

Katowice

Explorer
Sorry, Chris, I forgot about the Japanese and Italian info. Good job, by the way. I can't wait for more! Until then, I plan to fill in the gaps (vehicles mostly) with PEG's Weird War II books.

Pramas said:

V for Victory includes a full spread of Japanese and Italian weapons too, as well as some notable guns from smaller nations (the Finnish Suomi SMG, for instance). I tried to make the game so you could do any theater at any point in the war.

Glad to hear people are digging it.

Remove ads