• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire + drow

Solana

First Post
Undead ranger bonuses

is it the undead hunter or what from the master of the wild or another book but im sure somewhere ive read that a rangers undead favoured enemy can do damage with a certain class and theres also a feat in the net book of feats from
[urlhttp://www.datadeco.com/nbofeats/[/url]
and i think its a rankor attack or summin anyway yes a ranger should be able due to the fact that a drows anatomy may have turned to undead but the drows weaknesses are still the drows weaknesses

Last edited:

Trellian

Explorer
Well, the reason why I asked is because one of my players plays a ranger with favored enemy drow. He is also a Foe Hunter, so hated enemy is drow.

So let me see if I get this right.

No extra damage due to favored enemy - all creatures immune to critical hits are immune to rangers extra damage

No vakar damage, undead do not have blood to poison

But what about rancor damage? I need to check that one out. Is it extra damage because you are acutely aware of drow anatomy? Or is it because you hate them so much that your strikes are fiercer? Or is it just a supernatural ability with no apparent explanation? Need to check that one out.. yes..

Trellian

Explorer
So you're saying that undead are immune to rancor attack? Even though it specifically states that creatures normally immune to critical hits are not immune to rancor attacks?

Sejs

First Post
Rancor is from the Foe Hunter PrC in MotW. It's basically a Favored Enemy/Sneak Attack hybrid.

Personally I'd say, yeah, FE would work against the drow vampire, and as the undead thing wouldn't let you do more damage, I'd probably give the bonus as a dodge mod to AC or something. Even though you can't hit 'em where it hurts, you still know pretty well how they thing and function.. so should still get some kind of bonus.

As for the Elf-Bane weapon: again, I'd say yeah - the elven vampire gets a bunch of good things for 'em, but likewise they get some additional vulnerabilities.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Sorry to de-rail for a minute, but I have to ask wouldn't a ranger's favored enemy be (humanoid [elves]) for a drow FE? For the same reason that a bugbear FE would be listed as (humanoid [goblinoids]).

I seems to be listed this way in the PHB. Have I missed something and been doing it wrong for two years? :confused:

LokiDR

First Post
Sejs said:
Rancor is from the Foe Hunter PrC in MotW. It's basically a Favored Enemy/Sneak Attack hybrid.

Personally I'd say, yeah, FE would work against the drow vampire, and as the undead thing wouldn't let you do more damage, I'd probably give the bonus as a dodge mod to AC or something. Even though you can't hit 'em where it hurts, you still know pretty well how they thing and function.. so should still get some kind of bonus.

As for the Elf-Bane weapon: again, I'd say yeah - the elven vampire gets a bunch of good things for 'em, but likewise they get some additional vulnerabilities.

Rule wise, neither would work. The vampire template changes type, the very thing that most of this abilities are based on. The only arguement I see against this in the rules the fact that sub-type stays. I don't think that drow fit a sub-type, they are just humanoid. The same situation on Bugbear vampire would work under this argument.

From flavor point of view, I would probably not allow FE damage. All those vulnerable spots you studied are not really there any more. I could probably go either way.

Solana

First Post
rancor attack

i believe it says some where in the description in the rancor attack for maybe the foe hunter or the hunded hunter that a rancor attack affects undead. But i would go for yes the favoured enemy would work. If you slice a drows throat ear to ear does it hurt as a vampire, Dam right :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads