D&D General Variation on Themes(by MwaO)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wild Hunt doesn't even give an encounter attack power for free, its 1st/5th level options are corner-case. The 10th level option is okay, but not great. And the power swaps are mostly bad.

Wonder if we could give it an encounter attack power like calling the mounts to trample through the battle field!

MwaO

Adventurer
Just clarified that Order Adept gets to pick/retrain from any Wizard utility of level or below, not just limited to 2nd. This is how it reads in Dragon Magazine 399 and it was not errata'd. The comment about would be sky blue is a joke representing that it is a Sky Blue theme, but hard to use in online character builder

masteraleph

Explorer
I think you may have missed Escaped Slave (Dragon 390). Pretty lousy rating except for Arena Champion builds, who really want it. And I think excluded for LFR as well.

MwaO

Adventurer
Just rated it. I think it is somewhere around black due to the feature(free action invisibility on round 1 for a lot of builds is useful) and the D5. And then didn't give it Gold for the specific build simply because you can only make one free action attack on your turn. At a certain point(3 bluff checks), you probably don't need more than that.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I just renoticed this thread and for some reason the title didnt sync oh yeah that is Mwao's theme handbook / ratings guide.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yup, because they're not particularly mechanically strong compared to other themes even if they themselves are better than nothing.

Templar's power swaps are solid, but they're not extraordinary - they don't really scale.
I have made a character that heavily used the power swaps (the flavor of which was the desire)
And Templar gives nothing past the decent encounter option if you don't take them. Not even an implement option for use with the implement powers.
like perhaps the ability to use a marker of the sk as per a ki implement for those
All the modern ones give some sort of 1st/5th/10th option for free on top of the encounter power.

Wild Hunt doesn't even give an encounter attack power for free, its 1st/5th level options are corner-case. The 10th level option is okay, but not great. And the power swaps are mostly bad.
I made an encounter power for Wild Hunt Rider.. a quick summoning of the hounds.
1642693519089.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases