Vecna: Nest of the Eldritch Eye

WotC Vecna: Nest of the Evil Eye--Deets On The Prequel Adventure

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
WotC has been trending towards digital only since they bought D&D Beyond and announced their VTT. This is aligns with all of their monetization talk, Microsoft CEO's, the recent layoffs, the changes to their publishing contracts, and so on. The writing's on the wall. My guess is by the end of 2025 or early 2026. But time will tell.
It has been trending toward digital since 4e, they just did not know how to do it. That said, I disagree with the last guess.
I think the writing will still be on paper come 2026 and well beyond. I will get a slice of humble pie ready for you! ;)
I agree, as long as they are making money with it, they will continue to publish.

Why would anyone go to digital only when your ten year old books are still national best sellers?
People are still buying books, despite the existence of ebooks and audiobooks. Both, printed books and ebooks have advantages. I really can't see one replacing the other.
At some point WotC may decide that it is not worth the hassle printing German Books or other relatively small market versions. And even then I expect someone to offer print on demand books at high quality to fill the void.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
WotC has been trending towards digital only since they bought D&D Beyond and announced their VTT. This is aligns with all of their monetization talk, Microsoft CEO's, the recent layoffs, the changes to their publishing contracts, and so on. The writing's on the wall. My guess is by the end of 2025 or early 2026. But time will tell.
Yeah, that makes no sense.

Sure, digital is extremely attractive to publishers - they get to cut out the printer, the distributor, the shipping companies, the retail outlets; and after their initial investment, every copy sold has a near-zero cost to create!

BUT, digital sales can't be forced. At best, it's a long-long-long-term goal. It sure as heck won't be 2025. That's not the way to "monetize" your product. It's the way to kill it.

But you're right! Time will tell.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Damn!
I would love to see that. I didn't get artist comps of that.
Sure, pics below (banana added for scale). It's a floppy double-sided laminate with 5 maps ftom the book. Don't know the whole story about where it came from, but it was some sort of "sorry about the 3 month delay" bonus for FLGS preorders.

20240304_095123.jpg
20240304_095139.jpg

Remove ads