Veiled Archer, minor revision #2

Akhkharu

First Post
I'm still working on this, as you can tell but I would like an opinion on this. Is it overpowered, just right, or underpowered?
Comments and suggestions on improvements welcome.
Akh

Veiled Archer
Background:
Can't type what I have this class in my head as, but here is a brief description

Veiled Archer’s are often loners, hunting enemies, shadowing them and causing them as much mayhem in as short of time as possible before running off and doing it again from another side. When working in groups of other Veiled Archer, they are terrifying, decimating enemies in quick order. When working with other characters, they are the cover fire, allowing the fighters to retreat or infiltrate as needed or giving the wizards time they need to finish casting their spells.

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements: To qualify as a Veiled Archer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Base Attack:
+5
Skills:
Craft: Bowmaking +8
Hide +6
Move Silently +6
Feats:
Weapon Focus: Longbow or Composite Longbow
Precise Shot
Endurance
Point Blank Shot
Special:
Must possess a bow for which they spent a month training with it, after which they give a name to their bow.

Class Skills:
The Veiled Archer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Saves
will - low
Ref - high
Fort - low

Base Attack
As fighter

Abilities
1 - Steady Hand, Liliandel’s Flurry
2 - Deadly Arrow +1d6, Shot on the Run
3 - Ducking Shot
4 - Opportunist Strike
5 - Deadly Arrow +2d6
6 - Expert Aim
7 -
8 - Deadly Arrow +3d6
9 -
10 - Penetrating Shot

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Veiled Archer prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Veiled Archer gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.
Restrictions:
When becoming a Veiled Archer, the character spends a month of training in which they become familiar with it’s use, often creating a bond with the weapon. Once a Veiled Archer has became bonded to his weapon, certain restrictions apply to the character.
The Veiled Archer is so familiar with their bow that they can tell if their bow has been violated by another character’s use. For each person, other then the Veiled Archer who uses the bow, the Veiled Archer must spend at least an hour in practice with the bow, removing the taint of another’s touch or loose the benefits of this class until they have spent the hour.
Furthermore, if the Veiled Archer ever acquires a new bow, they must spend at least an hour a day for a week with the bow before they are able to gain the benefits from this class. If the character should use another bow during the week, the Veiled Archer has to start the week over again.
When making their bow magical, the Veiled Archer must be present every day and remain in constant contact with the bow. Due to their protectiveness towards their bow, the Veiled Archer would rather pay for any experience cost then have another’s taint upon their bows.
Sneak Attack: bow:
This ability is similar to the Rogue's Sneak Attack, though it only applies for bows.
The Veiled Archer has become so adapt at strike vital areas with her bow that any time the Veiled Archer's target would be denied her Dexterity bonus to AC (whether she actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the Veiled Archer's attack deals +1d6 points of damage. This extra damage increases by +1d6 points at level 5 and again at level 8 but can only be applied to attacks made with a bow. Should the Veiled Archer score a critical hit with a deadly arrow, this extra damage is not multiplied.
It takes precision and penetration to hit a vital spot, so ranged attacks can only count as sneak attacks if the target is 60 feet away or less.
A Veiled Archer can only use deadly arrows on living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Additionally, any creature immune to critical hits is similarly immune to deadly arrows. Also, the Veiled Archer must also be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach a vital spot. The Veiled Archer cannot use deadly arrow while striking at a creature with concealment or by striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
If an Veiled Archer gets a similar bonus from another source (such as rogue’s sneak attack), the bonuses to damage stack.
Steady Hand:
When using a bow the Veiled Archer’s point blank shot range increases to 60 feet.
Liliandel’s Flurry:
Twice per day per level, the Veiled Archer can shoot an arrow from a bow and have two other arrows appear alongside it in mid-flight. This ability allows the attacker to make three separate attack rolls on the target of the original arrow. After inflicting their damage, all three arrows disappear, consumed by the spell. The two additional arrows created by this ability are treated as +1 magic items for determining damage reduction. However, the arrows themselves confer no magical bonus to the Veiled Archer’s attack or damage rolls. This ability can only be performed when using the full attack option. The character can still use the Rapid Shot feat, though only the first arrow fired is thus enchanted.
Shot on the Run:
The Veiled Archer gains the feat Shot on the Run at second level, even if they do not meet the normal requirements.
Ducking Shot:
The Veiled Archer gets a +4 dodge bonus to their AC against attacks of opportunity caused while making a ranged attack in an area threatened by your enemies. If the Veiled Archer should lose their Dex bonus, they also lose this dodge bonuses.
Opportunist Strike:
Whenever an ally makes an attack of opportunity against a foe, the Veiled Archer can opt to make an attack against that same foe as long as they are within 60ft. This ability counts towards the limited number of attacks of opportunities a character can make per round.
Expert Aim:
If you take the Full Attack action when using the named bow, you may choose to make a single attack with a range of 60 ft. or less using your Expert Aim. While you normally apply your Dexterity bonus only to attack, in this case you also apply your Dexterity bonus to damage. This feat is ineffective against creatures that are not subject to critical hits (e.g. constructs, elementals, oozes, plants and undead).
This ability is usable with Liliandel’s Flurry, though the increase of damage is divided evenly among the three arrows, with any extra damage being applied to the original arrow. Thus, a character with 20 Dex using Expert Aim with Liliandel’s Flurry would apply a +1 to the 2 bonus arrows, and +3 being applied to the original arrow.
This ability may also be used with Deadly Strike, though the extra damage does not get multiplied.
Penetrating Shot:
A total of 1 + WIS modifier per day, any threat roll that the Veiled Archer makes and is also is a successful attack will results in a Critical Hit. This feat only applies to attacks made with the Veiled Archer's bonded weapon (see Restirction) and with ranges up to 60 feet.

**EDIT** Added a name, the Veiled Archer!
**EDIT** Added a brief description and changed the requirements and when they receive the Deadly Strike.
**EDIT** Edited the class with the suggestions from below

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
A couple of things

God, where to start?
Ok, first and for most, why?
why would a character take this over other archer classes, why take this over staying as a fighter? When making a PrClass you need to give it a reason to exist BEFORE, and I repeat, BEFORE you even think of writing stats.

Requirements:
Firsts, why does the archer need to have hide as a requirement, I might have missed this but I don't really see a need. Second, most of these requirements any self respecting archer would take. With the acception of craft: bowmaking, they don't really force the archer to sacrifice anything to qualify.
Third, they're too laxed. A fighter could take this by 13th lvl, for nothing other than the cc skills, the rogue can take it at 6th, that's to high or to low. Either make it harder for a rogue or easier for fighter. If going for fighter drop req bab, it's flavorless and easily attained, no real obstical. If rogue raise skills and bab, to atleast 11 and +6 respectavely, maybe more.
This seems to be focused on the rogue (class skills, low feat req., sneak attack ability) but the rogue is only prof. in the short bow, no archer would settle for a shortbow.

abilities:
Does the Deadly Arrow ability stack w/ sneak attack, that is VERY important. The penetrating shot is WAY over powered, a lvl 16 character (min for ability as is) should not get a critical hit that easily. A keen shortbow (see above) combined with imp. critical gives a 17-20 threat range with a x3 crit.
The other abilities are too dull, give them more flavor and originality, eliminate some of the deadly arrow for a few more interesting abilities, posably capitalizing on the hide req.

I do think that's enough for now, go rewrite it and post. Also, there are many articles out there on how to make a good PrC, not to be mean, but you may want to look at them. Monty Cook has a few good ones on his sight if they're still there.

thank you very much and have a nice evening

Akhkharu

First Post
I made a few changes, still no where near complete. I was thinking this class more for Rangers then anything, but it looks like fighters would have a hard time and rogues a fairly easy time. I changed around some of the requirements, and added a brief description of what I felt this class would be.

I know it's no where near to being complete but comments and suggestions welcome.

-------------------------------------------------- =) --------------------------------------------------

Does the Deadly Arrow ability stack w/ sneak attack, that is VERY important.
Yes it does, though it only works for bows.

The penetrating shot is WAY over powered, a lvl 16 character (min for ability as is) should not get a critical hit that easily
Will limit this to a number of times per day. Will be 1 + WIS modifier a day.

The other abilities are too dull, give them more flavor and originality, eliminate some of the deadly arrow for a few more interesting abilities, posably capitalizing on the hide req.
decreased deadly arrow to +1d6 at 2, 5, 8th level. Will add more abilities relating to stealth soon.

Crothian

First Post
Hit Dice: d8
Requirements: To qualify as a Veiled Archer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Skills:
Craft: Bowmaking +8
Hide +6
Move Silently +6

>>>>Instead of using +x, you should say x ranks. I’d add in a BAB +5.

Feats:
Weapon Focus: Longbow
Precise Shot
Endurance
Run - Wasn't really sure about this one, but added it anyways.

>>>>Just the longbow, or composite longbows? I’d add in pointblank shot because of the Steady Hand ability.

Special:
Must possess a bow for which they spent a month training with it, after which they give a name to their bow.

>>>>This is really cool. It’s a good touch.

Class Skills:
The Veiled Archer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge: Nature (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

>>>>Why Diplomacy? That’s the only skill that seems out of place.

Restrictions:
When becoming a Veiled Archer, the character spends a month of training in which they become familiar with it’s use, often creating a bond with the weapon. Once a Veiled Archer has became bonded to his weapon, certain restrictions apply to the character.
The Veiled Archer is so familiar with their bow that they can tell if their bow has been violated by another character’s use. For each person, other then the Veiled Archer who uses the bow, the Veiled Archer must spend at least an hour in practice with the bow, removing the taint of another’s touch or loose the benefits of this class until they have spent the hour.
Furthermore, if the Veiled Archer ever acquires a new bow, they must spend at least an hour a day for a week with the bow before they are able to gain the benefits from this class. If the character should use another bow during the week, the Veiled Archer has to start the week over again.

>>>>Again, good touch. Are there any restrictions on making the bow magical? Do they have to be present every day and help who ever is enchanting their bow for instance?

Deadly Arrow:
The Veiled Archer has become so adapt at strike vital areas with her bow that any time the Veiled Archer's target would be denied her Dexterity bonus to AC (whether she actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the Veiled Archer's attack deals +1d6 points of damage. This extra damage increases by +1d6 points at level 5 and again at level 8 but can only be applied to attacks made with a bow. Should the Veiled Archer score a critical hit with a deadly arrow, this extra damage is not multiplied.
It takes precision and penetration to hit a vital spot, so ranged attacks can only count as sneak attacks if the target is 60 feet away or less.
A Veiled Archer can only use deadly arrows on living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Additionally, any creature immune to critical hits is similarly immune to deadly arrows. Also, the Veiled Archer must also be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach a vital spot. The Veiled Archer cannot use deadly arrow while striking at a creature with concealment or by striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
If an Veiled Archer gets a similar bonus from another source (such as rogue’s sneak attack), the bonuses to damage stack.

>>>>You just might want to say Sneak Attack: Bow. Using it from 60feet away is very powerful.

Steady Hand:
When using a bow the Veiled Archer’s point blank shot range increases to 60 feet.

>>>>I like this. Just like to reiterate the Point Blank Shot requirement because of this.

Liliandel’s Flurry:
Twice per day per level, the Veiled Archer can shoot an arrow from a bow and have two other arrows appear alongside it in mid-flight. This ability allows the attacker to make three separate attack rolls on the target of the original arrow. After inflicting their damage, all three arrows disappear, consumed by the spell. The two additional arrows created by this ability are treated as +1 magic items for determining damage reduction. However, the arrows themselves confer no magical bonus to the Veiled Archer’s attack or damage rolls. This ability can only be performed when using the full attack option. The character can still use the Rapid Shot feat, though only the first arrow fired is thus enchanted.

>>>>While a good spell (from R&R I believe), I’m not sure it really fits. This is rather mystical in nature, and nothing else in the class seems to be.

Ducking Shot:
The Veiled Archer gets a +4 dodge bonus to their AC against attacks of opportunity caused while making a ranged attack in an area threatened by your enemies. If the Veiled Archer should lose their Dex bonus, they also lose this dodge bonuses.

>>>>This is good. I’m happy you didn’t just say, no longer provokes AoO.

Opportunist Strike:
Whenever an ally makes an attack of opportunity against a foe, the Veiled Archer can opt to make an attack against that same foe. This ability counts towards the limited number of attacks of opportunities a character can make per round.

>>>>>You might want to limit this to 60ft range, otherwise they can get AoO from hundreds of feet away.

Expert Aim:
If you take the Full Attack action when using the named bow, you may choose to make a single attack with a range of 60 ft. or less using your Expert Aim. While you normally apply your Dexterity bonus only to attack, in this case you also apply your Dexterity bonus to damage. This feat is ineffective against creatures that are not subject to critical hits (e.g. constructs, elementals, oozes, plants and undead).

>>>>Is this usable with Deadly Arrow or Liliandel’s Furry?

Penetrating Shot:
A total of 1 + WIS modifier per day, any threat roll that the Veiled Archer makes and is also is a successful attack will results in a Critical Hit. This feat only applies to attacks made with the Veiled Archer's bonded weapon (see Restirction) and with ranges up to 60 feet.

>>>>This cool. Seems balanced.

>>>>I’m really surprised I didn’t see shot on the Run or anything like it here. The description seemed to scream Shot on the Run. I’d be tempted giving it to this class at a very early level without the normal requirement for that feat.

Akhkharu

First Post
Just the longbow, or composite longbows? I’d add in pointblank shot because of the Steady Hand ability.
Always thought that Longbows and composite longbows were considered the same, but thinking about it, it does make sense as they are two different weapons. Made the change to include composite longbows as well.
Added in Point Blank Shot as requirement. Didn't have it in previously because it is a requirement for Precise Shot.
Why Diplomacy? That’s the only skill that seems out of place
Thanks for catching that. I just copied it from somewhere and thought I removed all the odd ones. Guess I missed one.
*note* Also added Intuit Direction as it wasn't in the list previously.
Again, good touch. Are there any restrictions on making the bow magical? Do they have to be present every day and help who ever is enchanting their bow for instance?
Thanks. =) I changed it so that they have to be present during all of it as well as pay the experience cost. Not sure how it would actually be done, just that they don't want the taint of another person on their bow.
You just might want to say Sneak Attack: Bow. Using it from 60feet away is very powerful.
Thought about changing it but wanted to keep a distinct difference between the two. Made a comment about it being similar to the rogue's Sneak Attack though.
Cut the range down to 30 feet. Had it originally at 60 as most archers would rather be further then 30ft when in combat. Dropped it down to 30ft as I agree it is powerful.
Maybe bring it up to 45ft? Comments.
While a good spell (from R&R I believe), I’m not sure it really fits. This is rather mystical in nature, and nothing else in the class seems to be.
Yeap, it is from R&R. Originally had this as an arcane archer but as I was working it out it sort of changed. I am trying to think of something similar though not as mystical.
This is good. I’m happy you didn’t just say, no longer provokes AoO.
Thanks, though I can't take credit. I read it somewhere, a feat I believe, just can't remember where. If anyone can direct me to where this originated from, I'd gladly put a note in here and give credits to them.
Is this usable with Deadly Arrow or Liliandel’s Furry?
Yes and Yes. I added a comment about it in the description above.
I’m really surprised I didn’t see shot on the Run or anything like it here. The description seemed to scream Shot on the Run. I’d be tempted giving it to this class at a very early level without the normal requirement for that feat.
I was thinking of this, just wasn't clear on how to put this in. Was thinking of added bonus feats every couple of levels, but that may just be to much. As it stands I've included it at level 2.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them. Please keep them coming!
Akh

creepy

First Post
The feat that you are thinking of comes from sword and fist. It is from the Order of the Bow Initiate. You should change the name of your class feats to match these. Your Deadly arrow is actually ranged sneak attack and I am not sure what the opportunist one is named. I like the addition of Ducking shot. Not quite as powerful as Close Combat Shot (No AoO from ranged attacks) so it is a good half way feat.
I think you should break up steady hand into 3 ability gains. Seems pretty powerful to pick up just for taking the PrC. Maybe something like 1st 3rd 7th increasing the range by 10 each time. If you were doing it this way you might be able to have it increase range for all special attacks such as sneak attacks, zen archery etc...

Remove ads