Versatile healer/melee build

Jris

Villager
I'm looking to make a new character for an existing game, to start at 5th level. I am currently playing a wizard, and I love the versatility and non-combat usefulness of the character. However, a couple of players in the group want new characters, which is going to affect party balance. The new line-up will be a warlock, a lore bard (who uses a shortbow), a rogue, and me. I don't want to give up my wizard, but I think the rogue desperately needs a melee buddy, and the party needs more healing. A Life Cleric would fit the bill, but seems kinda boring, play-wise. Can I multi-class my wizard into a dex fighter (she has dex 15) or is that just silly? Are there other options that would help my party but are more than just a healbot?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm looking to make a new character for an existing game, to start at 5th level. I am currently playing a wizard, and I love the versatility and non-combat usefulness of the character. However, a couple of players in the group want new characters, which is going to affect party balance. The new line-up will be a warlock, a lore bard (who uses a shortbow), a rogue, and me. I don't want to give up my wizard, but I think the rogue desperately needs a melee buddy, and the party needs more healing. A Life Cleric would fit the bill, but seems kinda boring, play-wise. Can I multi-class my wizard into a dex fighter (she has dex 15) or is that just silly? Are there other options that would help my party but are more than just a healbot?

A few questions.
1. What kind of warlock (as melee warlocks tend to be the most popular these days)? Also some warlocks can heal a bit now.
2. Have you considered a Druid that summons beasts and/or ShapeChanges? Provides melee support for the rogue while still providing good healing.

A few considerations.
1. Swashbuckler rouges work great without other melee allies present. If this is what your rogue plans to be then it's not absolutely essential for him to have melee allies. Level 5+ rogues are a bit tankies as they have uncanny dodge.
2. Haste is a particularly powerful spell when cast on a rogue. It gives them extra AC and it gives them an attack they can delay for 2x sneak attacks on the same round.
3. If your wizard has the wisdom you can easily multiclass into cleric to get a healing spell.

Jris

Villager
A few questions.
1. What kind of warlock (as melee warlocks tend to be the most popular these days)? Also some warlocks can heal a bit now.
2. Have you considered a Druid that summons beasts and/or ShapeChanges? Provides melee support for the rogue while still providing good healing.

A few considerations.
1. Swashbuckler rouges work great without other melee allies present. If this is what your rogue plans to be then it's not absolutely essential for him to have melee allies. Level 5+ rogues are a bit tankies as they have uncanny dodge.
2. Haste is a particularly powerful spell when cast on a rogue. It gives them extra AC and it gives them an attack they can delay for 2x sneak attacks on the same round.
3. If your wizard has the wisdom you can easily multiclass into cleric to get a healing spell.

1. Her main attack spell is eldritch blast + hex. She stays out of melee as much as possible.
2. Druid could be a good option. Thanks for the suggestion.

1. We only have the base rules atm. I think she is going to be an assassin. Swashbuckler looks pretty cool tho.
3. My wizard has no wisdom :(

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
1. Her main attack spell is eldritch blast + hex. She stays out of melee as much as possible.
2. Druid could be a good option. Thanks for the suggestion.

1. We only have the base rules atm. I think she is going to be an assassin. Swashbuckler looks pretty cool tho.
3. My wizard has no wisdom :(

Without swashbuckler you want to be able to provide melee support. It appears druid or cleric is the only caster option that will really help in that department. Eldritch Knights and Paladins can both be very fun in D&D 5e. Taking the healer feat can be a good way for a non caster or caster to provide decent party healing. It provides a lot over the course of a day.

Chuck Ocenasek

First Post
I really like the Tempest build for cleric. Take Healing word for pick me up heals which I feel are mandatory in a build. Go Hill Dwarf for the Wis Buff and extra HP. You will start with A.C. 18 which is very respectful at early levels. This can be further bumped to 19 when you can afford splint.
In combat you can cast spiritual weapon which gives you a bonus action attack and Dodge for further defense. When you hit 5th grabbed Spirit Guardians and the real fun begins.

bkwrm79

Villager
Would your GM allow you to change your wizard's specialization to Bladesinger? If you have high dex and like the character it might be worth considering as a way to get into melee, though I don't think it would help with healing at all.

No wisdom score might explain why your wizard gets into melee instead of staying at a safe distance throwing spells.

Jris

Villager
Tempest looks very effective in combat. Just wondering what kind of class, or combination, has the most options out of combat.

I like the healer feat idea.

GM doesn't want me to change feats, as she has used the diviner feat a lot.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Bard (Valor) or the new Bard (Swords) from XGtE could be a melee healer, but neither would qualify as a tank.

Now, a question becomes how much in-combat healing you need. A paladin makes a dang fine tank that with their auras can also protect, and they eventually have some good out-of-combat healing like Aura of Vitality. If you wanted to make them more of a healer you coudl multiple with the new Divine Soul Sorcerer for healing. Or the Celestial Warlock. Actually, XGtE has a bunch of healing options out there.

mellored

Legend
If you want to stick with wizard, take life cleric 1/abjuration wizard, and the shield spell. Possibly taking warcaster and resilient (Con) to keep your concentration spells up.
There's no penalty for casting spells in melee. So just armor up in go on in.

Or go druid.

CTurbo

Explorer
Tempest Cleric would be perfect and tons of fun. Check it out

Any Paladin would be great, but your party is already charismatic so I'd go for the wise Tempest Cleric in Heavy Armor. Go vHuman and pick up Heavy Armor Mastery at level 1 while still having 16 in Str and Wis.

Wait a sec..... are you expected to make a new character, but you can't change your stats or feats???

Last edited:

Remove ads