• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Versatile Spellbook - needlessly restricted?

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
It's very powerful to be able to use, for instance, Displacement every encounter until the boss, then swap it in for Stoneskin... so yeah, I'd suggest keeping the partial mitigator.
Yes, that's the problem I see as well. Prep encounter utilities all day long until the final fight. Then switch to daily utilities.

But is it really a huge problem? There are a lot of ifs and buts with that. The adventuring day needs to be structured like a level of Super Mario. The player needs to be sure that the next fight is the boss fight. Etc, etc.

In theory, this is a significant power-up, but would it really be that huge in practice? I'm tempted to try it out and see what happens.

bert1000

First Post
Not entirely on topic, but I instituted this house rule for the Wizard's class feature because I think the existing spellbook is fairly useless. I could even see adding the utility swaping on the fly to it as well.

** Add Tomb of Readiness Implement Mastery and the effects of the Improved Tomb of Readiness feat to the Wizard’s class features (in addition to picking an additional Implement Mastery as normal)

Rational: This makes another class feature, the Wizard’s spell book, actually worth something again (and the expanded spell book feat as well). This also cements the wizard as one the most versatile classes. I think versatility is great, but I think it adds to the uniqueness of the class and player satisfaction more than a huge boost to raw power. [This feature could be once/day instead of once/encounter if too powerful though?]

Zinovia

Explorer
Tomb of Readiness ... and the effects of the Improved Tomb of Readiness ...
Tomb of Readiness
Terrain Feature
This stone tomb is open, and features a blank name plate. Inside is an empty stone bier. When a dead body is placed on the bier, the name plate becomes engraved with the name of the dead person.

Improved Tomb of Readiness
The same as the normal Tomb of Readiness, but contains a stone sarcophagus which will seal when a body is placed within it.

I'm sorry. :devil:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads