D&D 5E Version 2: Commander Class

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I have totally revamped the class, checking that it is considerably more balanced with the Bard and the Cleric than my last version. If it is too strong, it would be because the subclass features are too strong. And, yes, they gain and insane amount of strategy die at high levels-- but you really need this many to hope to have the same effect a spellcaster can have over the course of a day. The subclass features might be too strong at this point, but they are generally inline with what the Cleric gets.

Commander

Class Features
Hit Points
Hit Points:
d8 per Commander level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per bard level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor and Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons and Martial Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution and Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Persuasion and Perception.

Equipment
* (a) scalemail or (b) chain shirt
* (a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons
* (a) a diplomat's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
* a short bow and 20 arrows

LevelProficiency
Bonus
FeaturesStrategy
Die
Strategy
Die Size
Maneuvers
1+2Maneuvers, Strategy Die, Call to Arms2D62
2+2Fighting Style3D62
3+2Command Style4D83
4+2ASI5D83
5+3Complex Maneuvers6D84
6+3Inspire Heroics7D84
7+3Command Style8D85
8+3ASI9D85
9+4
10D106
10+4Inspire Loyalty11D106
11+4
11D107
12+4ASI12D107
13+5
12D108
14+5Heroic Stand13D108
15+5Command Style13D129
16+5ASI14D129
17+6Greater Inspiration14D1210
18+6Command Style15D1210
19+6ASI152D611
20+6Improvise Strategy162D611
Strategy Die
You have a number of strategy die as indicated on the chart. Starting at level 1 they are D6s. At levels 3, 10, 15 and 19, the die size increases. Once you spend a strategy die, it is gone from your pool until you complete a short or long rest.

Maneuvers
Starting from level 1, you may select two maneuvers from the Battlemaster maneuvers list or the list of new maneuvers below. Instead of Superiority die, you use Strategy die for these maneuevers. If you choose the Rally maneuver, you add your Intelligence bonus to your roll instead of Charisma. You may choose an additional maneuver on each odd numbered level.
When a maneuver calls for a DC, the DC is equal to 8 plus your Proficiency Bonus plus your Intelligence modifier.

Call to Arms
Starting at level 1, you have the ability to strengthen the resolve of your allies in battle. When you roll Initiative, you may spend and roll a single strategy die. The current and maximum hit points of all allies within 30’ are increased by the result plus your Intelligence bonus for 1 minute. After 1 minute, the maximum hit points return to normal and any hit points beyond that are lost. Anyone who has been targeted by this ability may not be targeted by it again until they have completed a short rest.

Fighting Style
At level 2, you may choose a fighting style available to the Fighter, Paladin or Ranger.

Complex Maneuvers
Starting at level 5, you may perform up to 2 maneuvers during a turn. While this does not allow you to take a second attack, you may use up to 2 different maneuvers as a result of a single attack.

Inspire Heroics
At level 6, when a friendly creature within 10’ of you makes a saving throw they may your Intelligence bonus to any saves they make. At level 18, friendly creatures within 30’ receive the bonus.

Inspire Loyalty
At level 10, friendly creatures within 10’ of you cannot be charmed while you are conscious. At level 18, friendly creature within 30’ of you receive the bonus.

Heroic Stand
At level 14, after making an ability check or save, but before the DM announces the result, you may spend a Strategy Die to add the number to your result. Also, as a bonus action on any turn you may expend a Strategy Die to immediately grant yourself temporary hit points equal to the result plus your Intelligence bonus.

Improvise Strategy
At level 20, when you roll Initiative, if you have no Strategy Die left, you gain 1.

Marshal
Inspirational Speaker
Starting at level 3, you whenever you spend a Strategy die to increase or restore a creature's hit points, you may add your proficiency bonus to the result.

Rallying Cry
Starting at level 3, you may cause the spirits of your companions to soar bringing them back from the brink of loss. You are granted a number of temporary hit points equal to 5 times your Commander level. You may divide those points between any number of creatures within 30’ that can either see or hear you. This feature may not increase a creature’s hit points beyond their maximum. This feature does not work on undead or constructs. You must complete a short or long rest before using this feature again. You may use this feature 2 time per rest at level 7 and 3 times per rest at level 18.

Rising Spirit
Starting at level 7, when you spend a strategy die to increase or restore a creature’s hit points, you regain a number of hit points equal to your Intelligence bonus.

Last Minute Rescue

Starting at level 15, when a friendly creature who you can see or hear fails a save, you may as a reaction spend and roll a strategy die. The creature may immediately remake the save adding result of the die plus your Intelligence bonus to the new result.

Master of Spirit

Starting at level 18, whenever you roll one or more die to increase or restore a creature’s hit points, instead of rolling you simply grant the maximum possibly result for each die.

Tactician
Student of War
At level 3, your wide studies have paid off and increased the breadth of your abilities. You gain proficiency in a single skill, a single tool and a single language of your choice.

Moment of Brilliance
At level 3, you may use a moment of brilliance. When you use this this ability, you can choose to grant any number of creatures within 30’ of you either advantage to their attack rolls until the end of your next turn as well as allowing them to deal extra damage equal to half your Commander class level rounded down plus your Intelligence modifier OR grant disadvantage to all attacks that attempt to target those creatures and reduce the damage of all attacks against them by half your Commander class level rounded down plus your Intelligence modifier. You must complete a short or long rest before using this feature again. You may use this feature 2 time per rest at level 7 and 3 times per rest at level 18.

Expertise
At level 7, you gain Expertise in two skills you are proficient in. You add your proficiency bonus twice when using these skills. You may choose 2 additional skills at level 18.

Create Openings
Starting at level 15, after you perform a successful weapon attack against a creature, you may spend a strategy die and choose a number of friendly creatures equal to your Intelligence bonus. You and the creatures have advantage against the target until the end of your next turn. This does not count against the number of maneuvers you may use this turn.

Contacts and Research
Starting at level 18, you gain advantage on all Knowledge checks. In addition, when you make and fail a knowledge check, describe the sort of object, person or information you are hoping to find. If the information, object or skill you want is at all possible to obtain, the DM will tell you of the closest non-hostile person or place where you can obtain the information or object. What you seek may not be free or easy to obtain, but you always know who to ask or right text to look for.

Warlord
Battle Hardened
At level 3, you gain proficiency in heavy armor.

Battle Roar
At 3rd level, you may let out a bellowing roar across the battlefield. The all creatures within 30’ must make a Wisdom save against a DC equal to 10 plus your Intelligence modifier or become Frightened. This feature does not work on undead or constructs. You may use this ability once per a short or long rest. You may use this feature 2 time per rest at level 7 and 3 times per rest at level 18.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 7th level, you may attack twice instead of once when using the Attack action.

Calculating Assault
Starting at level 15, whenever you strike a creature with a melee weapon strike, you may immediately spend and roll a strategy die. Your damage is increased by an amount equal to the result plus your Intelligence modifier. This doesn’t count against the number of maneuvers you may perform as a result of this strike.

Tireless
Starting at level 18, as long as you have no more than half your maximum hit points left, every turn you regain a number of hit points equal to your proficiency bonus plus your Intelligence modifier. You do not gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

New Maneuvers
Encourage – By instilling your faith in someone else, you can push them beyond their abilities or help them keep a clear head in a dangerous situation. Choose a creature within 60’ who can hear you and spend a Strategy die. That creature gains an Encouragement die equal to your Strategy die. Within the next minute, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled ton one ability check, attack roll or saving throw. The creature can wait until after the d20 is rolled before deciding to use the encouragement die, but before the result is determined. A creature can only have one Encouragement or Inspiration die at a time.

Last edited:

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Way too flexible. And obviously broken. Where to even begin? How about a few obvious ones...

Of course it gets Con saves, amIright? And an extra skill. Makes the bard cry. And the fighter want to change professions.

Miladoon

First Post
My first impression:I am kinda seeing a Battlemaster with additional maneuvers to choose from. Then after digesting it, the Warlord subclass is almost a Battlemaster with two additional maneuvers.

Expertise seems kinda of wedged in to fill up a level feature.

How about Rally Cry allow another player in range to throw one/some of their Hit Dice?

Clarity of Mind seems like it would be more of an effect of Rally Cry. If players rally, they could get a bonus to resist fear and such.

Extra Training can be done with downtime and seems like filler feature.

The Subclasses seem front overloaded to me. You get three features at level 3

I think if you boil this down you could get a Commander subclass that could fit into other existing classes.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
My first impression:I am kinda seeing a Battlemaster with additional maneuvers to choose from. Then after digesting it, the Warlord subclass is almost a Battlemaster with two additional maneuvers.

Well, the concept is to try to bring the Battlemaster down to starting from level 1 while rejecting many of the invulnerability and multi-attack abilities that would remain exclusive to the Fighter while also combining it with aspects of the Bard san the spellcasting stuff and then build in equivalents to the Cleric's Channel Divinity to give them a burst-ability.

Expertise seems kinda of wedged in to fill up a level feature.

I will readily admit it kind of is. It seemed like a relatively harmless modular ability that the Rogue and Bard also got. I cut the effectiveness in half except for the Intelligence-based subclass.

How about Rally Cry allow another player in range to throw one/some of their Hit Dice?

Clarity of Mind seems like it would be more of an effect of Rally Cry. If players rally, they could get a bonus to resist fear and such.

I don't want to build too much into Rallying Cry. In its current form it is identical to what the Cleric's "Preserve Life" ability does except it restores only temporary hit points.

Extra Training can be done with downtime and seems like filler feature.

The Subclasses seem front overloaded to me. You get three features at level 3

What they get at level 3 is very much equivalent to what the Cleric gets when they choose their domain, in addition that is the level when their spell-equivalents really start kicking in. If I abandoned the idea of building each subclass off of a different mental attribute, I could probably fix that up.

I think if you boil this down you could get a Commander subclass that could fit into other existing classes.

If one could really get down and alter the classes a lot more than what a subclass could do, but since a subclass doesn't kick in until level 3, you can't really say "You'll be a Bard, but at level 1 you get marginally better armor, weapons and fighting abilities rather than your cantrips and spells and then at level 3 you start using your inspirational die in more creative ways and get more as you level up" nor can you say to a Fighter "No heavy armor for you at level 1 and you get Bardic Inspiration instead of your Second Wind then past level 3, you pretty much ignore the Fighter chart entirely."

But, perhaps I should eject a lot of stuff and try to make this a single-subclass class first. Maybe toss out the idea that skills are going to be something it excels at and get rid of the idea of each subclass focusing on a different attribute.

Maybe just basing it on Intelligence is better despite Charisma certainly being a core component. But the game already has a Fighter/Charisma class in Paladin and a Fighter/Wisdom class in Ranger, so allowing this to be the Fighter/Intelligence class would give it a potential niche.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Maybe just basing it on Intelligence is better despite Charisma certainly being a core component. But the game already has a Fighter/Charisma class in Paladin and a Fighter/Wisdom class in Ranger, so allowing this to be the Fighter/Intelligence class would give it a potential niche.
Yep. That's the thing. By having so much flexibility, you create far too many potential synergies with other aspects of the system. Racial synergies. MC synergies. It's too much cherry picking. No other class has this much attribute flexibility. It's just not something we see in 5e. And that makes it too good, IMO.

mellored

Legend
Yep. That's the thing. By having so much flexibility, you create far too many potential synergies with other aspects of the system. Racial synergies. MC synergies. It's too much cherry picking. No other class has this much attribute flexibility. It's just not something we see in 5e. And that makes it too good, IMO.
I'd argue the cleric/druid/wizard has more flexibility.

Miladoon

First Post
IME, first and second level go by so fast that the risk is worth loading features later. You can make the features beefier when they come later to encourage staying in the class and avoid cherry picking a front loaded design.

I guess what I mean about the Battlemaster is that you could make several new commanderyish maneuvers and offer that. Then compare your build to the battlemaster with additional maneuvers. When you design features for the class, ask yourself if this could be a battlemaster maneuver.

I would also add a feat at first level because of the human variant. Just label it as an option.

Last edited:

Remove ads