• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Version 2: Commander Class

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm going to assume you meant to call that Level 4, rather than Level 3, since stats have increased and you had already covered the latter. (I was extremely confused at first.)

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I have revised the class immensely. It should be better balanced now and properly competitive with other classes throughout its progression. It may look really strong, but I feel confident that if you run the numbers you will find it is actually quite on par with the Cleric or Bard. Just keep in mind the lack of mid to high level spells, that all its healing is temporary hit points that disappear during the next short rest and the fact that the class needs to invest heavily in Intelligence-- the worst stat in the game.

Last edited:

Most of its abilities need the rider that creatures must be able to see and hear the warlord. Or at least hear.

Having strategy dies separate from maneuver die seem needlessly complex and will not interact well with multiuclassing.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Most of its abilities need the rider that creatures must be able to see and hear the warlord. Or at least hear.

Having strategy dies separate from maneuver die seem needlessly complex and will not interact well with multiuclassing.

For the first one, I would suppose you are correct in that case.

The second... ehh.. I think you mean "Superiority die" and suppose someone could multiclass Battlemaster and Commander, but it would be a bit like multiclassing Cleric and Paladin.

I am not really sure how one would go about combining them though in the way spellslots get combined. I didn't want to be hamstringed by how they decided to make the Battlemaster class work when trying to figure out when the die increases in number and size.

The second... ehh.. I think you mean "Superiority die" and suppose someone could multiclass Battlemaster and Commander, but it would be a bit like multiclassing Cleric and Paladin.

I am not really sure how one would go about combining them though in the way spellslots get combined. I didn't want to be hamstringed by how they decided to make the Battlemaster class work when trying to figure out when the die increases in number and size.
To a battlemaster fighter a one level dip seems appealing, as you easily get a bunch more maneuvers and dice.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
To a battlemaster fighter a one level dip seems appealing, as you easily get a bunch more maneuvers and dice.

Well, a 1 level dip would get you precisely 2 die and 2 extra maneuvers. And, as long as they are called two different things, those die eternally remain d6s. If they were called the same thing, then you would be a level behind in increasing those die.
Which one is more in-line with what you get if you are an Eldritch Knight and do a 1 level dip into Sorcerer?

Remove ads